Blue Hole Oct 23~24th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy and I are planning to go that weekend. We can't leave until she gets off work, so it will be very late Friday night.

I think I am jinxed. My hot tub has gone out. With temps dropping to below freezing. I need to fix this weekend or drain and blow out all the lines. Either way, I won't be at the blue hole.

I'm getting a late start, but I'm leaving now. See y'all in a couple hours!

As it turned out we did not have the number of people I was orignially expecting, but that is not necessarily a bad thing..

James and I left Friday afternoon around 1:30pm with Patrick in tow. We arrived around 7:45pm, and hooked up with TJack for a BH dive. My favorite BH dives tend to be night dives. We had a full moon, and the water was clear. I was a relaxing and enjoyable way to start the trip.

We Hooked up with James (AMAScuba) right as we were gearing up to dive Perch Lake on Sat Morning. It is a testament to our relaxed nature that we were not in the water before James showed up. :rofl3:

Perch vis was good, but not as good as I have seen it. Still Perch is an enjoyable dive, so we did it twice. And yes, we don't mind MURK!

The weather was SUPPOSE to be in the mid 70's and nice (according to Thursdays report), but like the weatherman often do, they changed the weekend forecast on Friday, and it was VERY windy, and a bit cold (low 60ish). I was good that we did NOT decide to grill outdoors as that would have proved a bit of a pain...

Catfish at Perch Lake (this sucker was 10' long if he was a foot!)
P1000823.jpg

We always see strange STUFF at Perch Lake. This was no exception....
P1000829.jpg

Once we were done at Perch we headed over to the HOLE to see if the crowd had dissipated and do a couple more dives. While the water clarity was nothing like the previous evening, it was not as bad as I would have expected with all the folks in the water.

We paid a visit to Venus:
P1000796.jpg

Venus appears to be collecting some RED alge or something.

We did one more dive that night, and I decided to take the chain down (Bert brought it up....) to chain up Venus. This proved to be a PITA as I decided unwiserly to NOT use any sort of lift bag. I basically held on to the chain as I decended, but it was heavy, and I had trouble keeping my buoyancy under control while clearing..ohh welll...

The night dive proved to be a bit lower vis after the days activity, and somewhat crowded. Apparently more than one shop was doing Night Dive type certs.

Some folks put out some Halloween STUFF which was kinda fun...

P1000902.jpg

We finished our night dive on Saturday, had a beer, and jawed with Stella for some time. ALLWAYS great to spend a bit of Quality time with Stella.

We spent the remainder of Saturday evening having dinner and drinks enjoying one anothers company. We did NOT dive Sunday. Instead we went to the Las Vegas Wildlife Sanctuary where James and I started our life lists with 25 birds! A shame we could not get closer to the birds...

It was a good trip as usual... See ya next time around.

Last edited:
Very cool pix and nice report.

When I brought the chain down I had it in a milk crate and used a lift bag. That sucker is heavy!
So did you stick it under the boulder and around Venus's legs and lock it?

Here's another question. Why do people(Bert?) constantly bring things back up that some of us spend so much time and energy taking down?

picked up a really cool concrete owl which I will also gladly donate to BH. I suppose that I will drill a hole through it and run a cable through there so it can be locked down too. What a shame.

I hope that you still possibly have Nebraska penciled in.

Another fine weekend in old Santa Rosa. Great shots Ron, what is that spooky purple stuff from Perch lake? The one catfish not photographed was at least 2' eh?

Chris (Skyhawk) and Tiffany were there as well, busy guiding wheelchair bound divers,
way cool.

We did wrap the chain around both Venus and the boulder but had no lock. Still gives the impression that she is not to be toyed with.

Great diving y'all

Hey RonFrank - great photos. Congrats in starting your life list. Next trip down here in NM tag on a day and go to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge. The birds are quite approachable but bring good binocs. You can see some of them in the US section of hubby's site (http://www.imunu.com) If you ever have any birdy ID questions - just PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom