Blue Hole in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The weather is looking... BAD!

No reason to make a decision for us Denverites yet, but the current weather prediction is looking none to good.

There is suppose to be a big storm moving in Next Thursday. Granted, the weather here is difficult to predict, and things could speed up, slow down, or disappear.

I have no issue driving in snow, however it's a long trip down, ant that's at 75~80mph. Snowpacked roads, or worst a Raton pass closer can turn an already long 6 hour drive into a nightmare.

I'm keeping an eye on this, and maybe with luck this storm will be light, or miss us.

I agree with Ron. I don't mind driving in the snow. But, I am not sure how fun diving in bitter cold wind and snow would be. But, I think we need to wait a bit before we make the decision...maybe after Christmas. The only website I found that had weather out that far showed friday with snow, sat sunny and 52*, and sun partly cloudy adn 56*. They don't show wind conditions that far out, but I think I could live with it if not really windy, but we may have to drive down in snow.

FIY, Colo Spgs, (southern Colo) and northern NM, to include Santa Rose, are currently under a Winter Storm Warning and Hazardous Weather Outlook.

How much lead time do we need to make room reservations? Would Wed or Thurs be soon enough? Does anyone know of any classes that are planning instruction at Blue Hole that weekend? Or any other reason that the motels might have a higher occupancy?

Yep, similar sentiments here as well!

I love diving, but freezing whats left of chewed a$$ off is not what I call a good time. I'll be watching the weather too.

Santa Rosa weather is looking good for December 28 - 30. It could change at any moment, but so far here is what it looks like:

Dec 28 - Mostly Sunny, 42 degrees, 10% precipitation, 13mph west wind
Dec 29 - Sunny, 51 degrees, 0% precipitation, 16mph west wind
Dec 30 - Sunny, 55 degrees, 10% precipitation, 15mph west wind

10 Day Weather Forecast for Santa Rosa, NM - weather.com

I'm less worried about Diving conditions than DRIVING conditions! :D

The Hole is always a balmy 64F! :coffee:

Hotel reservations are not an issue. I normally make them on Thursday if going down Friday.

We shall see what tomorrow brings. If we cancel this, does anyone have thoughts for another weekend? I'm kinda wanting to get some diving in soon! :dork2:

We will wait, and make a decision around Wednesday, or even Thursday evening if necessary. I'm planning on a go, until we see how the weather shapes up.

Here's the Santa Rosa Forcast as of now:

NOAA Weather:
Christmas Day: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.

Tuesday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 42.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Thursday: A slight chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. Chance of precipitation is 10%.

Denver Weather
NOAA weather:
Christmas Day: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31.

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of snow. Partly cloudy, with a low around 14.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 35.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 13.

Thursday: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35.

Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 35.

This forecast sounds MUCH less dramatic than those damn weather forcasters made it sound in their live forecast! They are such a bunch of Drama Queens, and LOVE it when they can say things like *Big Storm*. Their favorite line is: Snow in the High Country... How worthless is that? That covers half the state! :rofl3:

So are you folks willing to put up with a rusty, a bit out of shape diver? I broke my hip in June, and I’ve got a narrow window between now, that I’ve been given the all clear for diving and when I get the pins pulled out (Jan 15th) and have to take another month off .

That last weekend of the year would work out great for me, for getting wet again and to shake out some equipment that hasn’t been used for awhile (the doubles, canister light, the stage regs, etc.). As well as making sure I don't have an issue with the frog kick, since I have a cave trip scheduled in April.

Probably only look at doing two dives a day, early afternoon and a night dive. My GF (non diver) and I are both software nerds, and as such don't do mornings very well... :) Besides, this is vacation time!

I’d come down on Friday and would either leave Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.

Would you mind if I joined you? Not looking for anything more than a good buddy that believes in keeping an eye on their dive partner during the dive.

If so, where do y’all stay down there?

Roak

Ps. Also depends on the driving weather. I don&#8217;t care if it&#8217;s freezing down there as long as I don&#8217;t have to make the Colorado Springs <-> Santa Rosa drive in a blizzard. :)

Roger,

I'm sure you'll be welcome. I'm in Colorado Springs too, but not sure where I'll be leaving from just yet. We try to ride share/room share, and until your post, I was the only one in Spgs, so I may be departing from Denver or the Springs. I plan on leaving Friday too. Hopefully get in a night dive Fri, and then some dives Sat and Sun morning. Returning Sun afternoon, or possibly Monday. I've taken Friday through Tuesday off.

As Ron mentioned earlier, we will probably make the decision to call it off on either Wed or Thurs, next week. Until then, we are in "go" mode.

Sounds like you have a lot more diving experience than I. I've only been diving 13 months, but will have my 100-th dive on this trip. I think that James, Jason, and Kevin all dive doubles, and probably have more technical experience than most of us from Colorado (I'm making a big assumption here, please no offense to Ron or Dan).

I'm sure others will pipe in here over the weekend.

So are you folks willing to put up with a rusty, a bit out of shape diver? I broke my hip in June, and I’ve got a narrow window between now, that I’ve been given the all clear for diving and when I get the pins pulled out (Jan 15th) and have to take another month off .

That last weekend of the year would work out great for me, for getting wet again and to shake out some equipment that hasn’t been used for awhile (the doubles, canister light, the stage regs, etc.). As well as making sure I don't have an issue with the frog kick, since I have a cave trip scheduled in April.

Probably only look at doing two dives a day, early afternoon and a night dive. My GF (non diver) and I are both software nerds, and as such don't do mornings very well... :) Besides, this is vacation time!

I’d come down on Friday and would either leave Sunday afternoon or Monday morning.

Would you mind if I joined you? Not looking for anything more than a good buddy that believes in keeping an eye on their dive partner during the dive.

If so, where do y’all stay down there?

Roak

Ps. Also depends on the driving weather. I don’t care if it’s freezing down there as long as I don’t have to make the Colorado Springs <-> Santa Rosa drive in a blizzard. :)

Sure! Come on down Roger! We don't discriminate based on age. :) Anybody is welcome to join us.

Sure! Come on down Roger! We don't discriminate based on age. :) Anybody is welcome to join us.

Is that why you let me dive, Non-age discrimination? :rofl3: I am with the rest of you, on weather hold. I will be able to leave anytime Friday, but I did drive down in a snow storm and do not want to duplicate that again. :shakehead:

Roger, We are ALL software nerds! :D You will be in good company.

We have not worked out Driving or Hotel arrangements.

We generally stay at Best Western Adobe. I can get a $52 a night rate which comes to $117 with whatever taxes they add on.

I'm thinking of just taking the whole day off IF the weather corporates.

So Roger, are you interested in ride sharing? Splitting a room, or are you bringing down the GF?

Dan and I will ride together, and I assume we would share a ride with Rick as well unless he has other ideas. If we take a truck, we could get four and dive gear. If I take my Outback, I can get 2 without the carrier, and 3 if I attach the carrier. We can get three in a room with a hide-a-bed, but if we have four, we will do two rooms.

This all my go up in snow if a bad storm comes in. I don't mind a bit of show over the pass, but a snow packed road for 100 miles is going to slow things down a lot. If its snowing from Denver to Las Vegas, that would be a problem.

Cross your fingers! I'm really looking forward to this, but we can reschedule if need be.

Back
Top Bottom