Blue Hole Dec 9th~10th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I *think* Kent and I will be at the hole on these dates. I would not mind going down on the 8th in the morning Kent, what do you think? Do an afternoon dive in great vis!

Any CO diver is welcome to join us if we can work it out.

Dan, you are certainly welcome to join us! I think the ABQ divers in black have indicated they can hook up on that weekend. It would be nice if they could do the weekend rather than just Sunday, look at is as an opportunity to convert a couple of non-koolaid drinking divers! :D

In any event, interest? I have a GOAL to put together a BBQ one of these trips!:D

It should be the ABQ divers in black, oh and also that person from TX too. :wink:

I maybe be able to do Saturday & Sunday (Dec. 9/10). Depending on air temps, I might be up for a night dive on Saturday night.

Hopefully, this will work out. Call me Mr. road trip!

I have to go to CB this coming week and haul about 250 bales of hay back to Ft Collins. We'll stick around for a few days for The Who concert, and then we are going to drive to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving week. I get home for 4 days, and then head to the Crater with my Diveshop group for the weekend, back home for 4 days, and then off to BH!

Maybe we leave Friday around noon. We can do a night dive Friday night.
Only one passenger which would be you Ron, because I am going to bring the dogs, so we will pack our gear in the back of the truck, and the pups will go in the back seat, which folds up, and I put a few dog beds there.

We'll bring a propane heater, and other funstuff.

Night dive Sat night no matter what. The water is clear and the diving interesting at night! If its cold out, one can always don and doff the drysuits at the hotel!

BTW, I last saw The Who in '82 at Folsum field. I was only 20, and Townsend, Daltry, and Entwhistle were relatively young and rocking hard. It will be interesting to see how they perform now sans Entwhistle, Townsend being deaf, and such!

amascuba:
It should be the ABQ divers in black, oh and also that person from TX too. :wink:

We will be there!!!

sote_1.jpg

saw the who a couple of years ago, they still mostly rock... oh that was before JE died though, dunno what the new bass player is like

/tangent

Sooo... please tell me more about Blue Hole. I've heard mixed reviews. Any fish in there?
Is your trip suitable for noobs or will it be too crowded?

ns

noobascooba:
saw the who a couple of years ago, they still mostly rock... oh that was before JE died though, dunno what the new bass player is like

/tangent

Sooo... please tell me more about Blue Hole. I've heard mixed reviews. Any fish in there?

ns

If you want to make the drive, then definitely come along. You maybe able to meet up with the Denver crowd before they leave from CO and have like a wagon train effect. :)

The Blue Hole is a been there, done that dive, but the company that comes along with the trip on these weekends are excellent. There are some fish, none of which are native to the Blue Hole. There are some gold fish along with a couple carp. There used to be quiet a few crawdads before the Army Corp. of Engineer's dredged out the hole early in the summer, but now they have all apeared to died off.

Bring what ever you want for food. We'll most likely have some kind of cook out and there tends to be more food than can be consumed in a single weekend. We'll supply the kool-aid. :eyebrow:

You will also need a minimum of a 7mm full suit, as the water will be low 60's. Hood and gloves make things that much more comfortable, aswell as a drysuit. :wink:

amascuba:
There are some fish, none of which are native to the Blue Hole. There are some gold fish along with a couple carp. There used to be quiet a few crawdads before the Army Corp. of Engineer's dredged out the hole early in the summer, but now they have all apeared to died off.

When amascuba says goldfish, think HUGE Goldfish or KOI. They seem to be flourishing! I saw more last time then ever, and the minimum size is about 9", so they are kinda cool!

Speaking of which, I'd pay to *stock* the hole with some more. Any of you ABQ people up to hitting a pet store, and bringing out a few dozen GF?

I'm bummed about the Dads, maybe they will come back.

noobascooba:

ns

The BlueHole is a mixed bag, but IMO a great place to spend a weekend. I've done about 40 dives there, and I still enjoy it. What is good about it? Vis, you can get anywhere from 20 to 100+ vis. I'd say average is in the 50 foot range or better. Temp, it's not warm, but it is not cold... it is constant at about 64 degrees. You can dive it wet or dry. Dry is nice in the winter not because of the water temps, but due to the possibility of cold weather. In fact the best place to stay warm on a cold day is in the water.

Features. Many find this spot boring, I find it interesting. The more I dive the Hole, the more I see. It's volcanic formation, so it's interesting. And people place all sorts of stuff at the site, so if you have no interest in natural formations, you can stare at cow skulls!

OK here is the Kicker, People! If you like to dive, there are NO other divers like those the frequent the Hole. They are not there due to world class diving, they are not there because I'm HOT :gr1: , they are there because they LOVE to dive, and that makes things all good.

They tend to wear black, BUT, they are all about diving. Doubles, long hoses, dry, wet, you will LEARN from diving with this crowd because they are just good divers.

Noobs welcome, come out with us and dive. At over 4000', and over 80' deep the hole is a GREAT training spot, and an enjoyable place to dive. You can do drills with the men in black, or do a tour with us! I tend to hit the bottom for 20 minutes, and then take a leisurely stroll to the top. PM myself if you are interested. We may not be able to ride share, but we shall see.

I'm going to contact the regional rep from Green Force, and see if he can join us now the date are set. I have his name and number from Randy at TDL so if we are lucky, we can do a Saturday night dive and check out the product line!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom