Blue heron bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm OK with hobos; I consider them harmless and I am not a snob. It is just the place got too crowded with divers. It is a great dive (where else would I find 3 frogfish in 1 dive and run into a pod of manatees next?) but my last time there I had to take a hike with the tank on my back from the nearest parking spot available half a mile down the road. Not that I mind hiking; a man my age needs some exercise. But this episode became symbolic for me. I have to move on.

FYI almost everything I've done at BHB has been "freediving" so far.

IMO blue heron is a wonderful dive if sea conditions are unfavorable and you NEED to dive. Also if you can make a early morning tide (7ish) during the week there will be next to no one at the park. I did two dives during my OW cert on Thursday and Friday between 7-8am and there was maybe 10 people total in the water throughout the tide.

Also personally while I am renting equipment to see what I like and test out products I probably will never dive at the bridge. But once I get my own gear and can dive 2-3 times a week I'm sure I'll make the 40 minute drive to dive there once a month or so.

Overall it's a nice dive if you know where/what to look for. I can find octopus on just about every trip here.

Yes there are a lot of cool creatures, but how about the big ocean next to it? those same creatures can be found there too.

It's attractive because the animals are concentrated in a small area. For example, if you were to try to locate a long arm octopus out on the reef, that could take months and months. Meanwhile, at BHB it could only take days. And finding a seahorse out on the reef, heck, that could take years!

The bridge is not for everyone, it's one of those things that a good number of people may view as "seen it... done it", now that the box is checked... it's time to move on to what ever is next on the list.

I've seem critters at the bridge, and taken photos of things that are simply amazing. You can spend hours and hours on end, enjoying the dive and with a bit of patience and a methodical approach, you could have an amazing dive.

There is a closed thread on ScubaBoard called "Blue Herron Brindge Trolls" that is chockfull of tips, findings and awesome photos. The bridge is an ideal place to hone in photography and videography skills, and the best part is that you don't need to charter a boat, but rather just drive up to the place and jump in when the tide is right... and if conditions are good and you happen to be in the right place - the right time, you will be rewarded.

From spotted eagle rays to awesome macro critters, you name it... its possible to see anímalas and an assortment of sea life that has, in my personal experience, blown my mind a way several times over.

The County has done a decent job cleaning up the area, removing trash and promoting responsible enjoyment of the site.

Yes, it would be awesome to have more parking, less boat traffic, or maybe have less density of use, or maybe fewer students, or better facilities; but the truth is that the place attracts more than shore divers, and it's worth while visiting.

Some people know the site very well and offer guided tours. If you go and don't see anything of interest, consider hiring a guide and give it one more chance.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Here are some of the fish & critters I saw yesterday, which was a great day for muck diving, BTW:

What do you see here?
M0035350.JPG

After it woke up and move to another location:
M0035351.JPG

Its bed:
M0035353.JPG

Nice clam guarded by arrow crab:
M0035363.JPG

What may be @Texasguy saw:
M0035389.JPG

Box Crab?
M0035384.JPG

Dan,
Good job!
Ricardo
PS: Have you gone out to the reefs and wrecks to see the Goliath already?
If so, hope you had a chance to see them, if pending, I trust you will soon. They are starting to aggregate.

Dan,
Good job!
Ricardo
PS: Have you gone out to the reefs and wrecks to see the Goliath already?
If so, hope you had a chance to see them, if pending, I trust you will soon. They are starting to aggregate.

Thanks! Yes, they are starting to aggregate. We dove in Shark Canyon, Scarface & Tunnels (all reef sites, no wrecks) on Saturday and saw several of them in each sites. On the Tunnels dive sites, there were 3 just hanging out in one of the tunnels. Really cool thing to see those gentle giants.

M0035406.JPG

M0035471.JPG

It's attractive because the animals are concentrated in a small area. For example, if you were to try to locate a long arm octopus out on the reef, that could take months and months. Meanwhile, at BHB it could only take days. And finding a seahorse out on the reef, heck, that could take years!

Maybe that's it. Until I read your post I knew I was over BHB at least 15 years ago. I'd be back every 5 or more years for social reasons and my original thoughts would be confirmed... not my thing.
But your post gave me the most likely explanation of exactly why I'm over it. It is the predictability of if.
First the people, I'd interact with more people in one diving day than I normally interact in a couple of weeks. Then for sure I'll play with octos and then look for the babies, be it lobster or flounder. Go on to the mandatory seahorse area and is almost like checking the box. True you do have some random creatures without schedule but is rare that you end the day without seeing the usual suspects from the BHB.

The randomness of the true open water is more my speed. Pick a spot in the ocean with no one else, then see what's down there. Not once have I ended a dive saying I saw nothing, some days is a hammerhead swimming close to me, others I just pickup a plastic bag that some jackass let loose, but either one is more my thing.

I suppose I'm also over the reactions of people when I say I rather dive anywhere else but the bridge, it was refreshing to read the Texasguy's post. But I have no reason to question the BHB divers, just like one type of diving doesn't fit everyone, one location doesn't either.

It is so interesting. I never realized that people varied so much on their thoughts of BHB until today. A friend of mine, who is a dive master, was telling me today how much he dislikes the bridge... meanwhile I was sitting there kind of hurt because I really like it there, and thought everyone else did too. So funny, but it is what it is... Different people like different things...

Maybe that's it. Until I read your post I knew I was over BHB at least 15 years ago. I'd be back every 5 or more years for social reasons and my original thoughts would be confirmed... not my thing.
But your post gave me the most likely explanation of exactly why I'm over it. It is the predictability of if.
First the people, I'd interact with more people in one diving day than I normally interact in a couple of weeks. Then for sure I'll play with octos and then look for the babies, be it lobster or flounder. Go on to the mandatory seahorse area and is almost like checking the box. True you do have some random creatures without schedule but is rare that you end the day without seeing the usual suspects from the BHB.

The randomness of the true open water is more my speed. Pick a spot in the ocean with no one else, then see what's down there. Not once have I ended a dive saying I saw nothing, some days is a hammerhead swimming close to me, others I just pickup a plastic bag that some jackass let loose, but either one is more my thing.

I suppose I'm also over the reactions of people when I say I rather dive anywhere else but the bridge, it was refreshing to read the Texasguy's post. But I have no reason to question the BHB divers, just like one type of diving doesn't fit everyone, one location doesn't either.

Interesting read.... I will take it a step further, I don't consider this a shore dive. Don't know what to call it.
Having said that, I am there a lot. When financially embarrassed and cannot afford a boat dive, or don't have the time to drive South for a shore dive, or get blown out, or need to test something, it's my go-to site.
The homeless don't bother me. I have talked to a few myself.
Plenty of Scuba-holes there though. Amazed at how many divers I see without flags, or some oblivious to their surroundings and steam towards me on a collision course. And, oh my the silters. Others spending 5 minutes or so under the shower.
I am a true bridge troll, I spend most of my time under the East Bridge, and get in early as well. Have the place to myself.
Was there today there today testing out new DH setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom