Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would guess sargassum pipefish. (Syngnathus pelagicus)

This being one of the rarely seen types of marine life, found at the BHB, that is often located in the shallows off the beaches, where divers and swimmers are wading and standing in 3 to 5 feet deep water......Getting to what is BAD BEHAVIOR....arguably, stepping on these guys or plopping your fins down next to them, is pretty bad for them.....and there is an awful lot of this bad behavior going on.

Scuba divers in general being the worst. Dive classes being the worst of the worst.
Freedivers being about as low impact as you can be in the water.....and for something like this Pipe horse, I would think the fisherman at the BHB are lower impact than most scuba divers.

FROZEN - Let It Go Sing-along | Official Disney HD: http://youtu.be/L0MK7qz13bU

I *think* that I recall someone telling me that the pair in this photo were the same species and that they were shortfin pipefish. I could be wrong. . .
I have several photos that are categorized as Shortfin Pipefish, but I'm not entirely confident they are. All the photos lack the "Two short, dark lines ..." behind the eye. Interesting that you captured both a brown and yellow version together. I have several shots of pairs from that trip where both are either brown or yellow. Wish there was a better ID resource for TWA pipefish. The Reef Fish books are somewhat lacking for that family.

I have several photos that are categorized as Shortfin Pipefish, but I'm not entirely confident they are. All the photos lack the "Two short, dark lines ..." behind the eye. Interesting that you captured both a brown and yellow version together. I have several shots of pairs from that trip where both are either brown or yellow. Wish there was a better ID resource for TWA pipefish. The Reef Fish books are somewhat lacking for that family.

Just checked the Smithsonian iPhone app. It does show a brown one and a yellowish one. May be that the yellow is a mating color. One of the yellow ones in the app was by Anne DuPont, I believe, and she's a BHB legend. The brown one in the app sure looks like my brown one in the pic. I'm not certain that reef fish ID is totally ready for prime time. They're cool critters even if we *can't* put absolute ID's on em, eh? :) And, I get a kick out of sharing what I find, even if my pics aren't good enough yet to focus in on their mitochondrial DNA sequences. :)

Haven't been diving since last July, after averaging close to once a month making it down to the bridge. Old, leaky masks and failing to find much new stuff was taking a lot of the fun out of it. You guys seem to be finding enough new, cool stuff lately that I broke down just today and tested new masks at the local dive shop pool with my reg exhaling bubbles up into them. Found one that doesn't leak. Have already marked it for custom reader inserts and it's off in the mail for same tomorrow. Cork and I are penciled in for a trip down around Feb. 11 or so, and I get my first new knee the next week. :) Save me some pipehorses and dwarf froggies. . .

---------- Post added January 17th, 2015 at 12:16 AM ----------

[h=3]I'm now down to just one "word a day" email. Thought this one from yesterday was a good one for this thread. :)

arenicolous[/h]
PRONUNCIATION:
(ar-uh-NIK-uh-luhs)

MEANING:
adjective: Living, growing, or burrowing in sand.

---------- Post added January 17th, 2015 at 01:19 PM ----------

Hey. They've done changed the way they do "likes" in the forum. And, they've now added a "thanks", too. Cool.

Last edited:
Throw an extra new knee in your save a dive kit, I'm due....:D

Haven't been diving since last July, after averaging close to once a month making it down to the bridge. Old, leaky masks and failing to find much new stuff was taking a lot of the fun out of it. You guys seem to be finding enough new, cool stuff lately that I broke down just today and tested new masks at the local dive shop pool with my reg exhaling bubbles up into them. Found one that doesn't leak. Have already marked it for custom reader inserts and it's off in the mail for same tomorrow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mentalblock/15687585674/ Marked up mask. I'll stick it in the mask forum, too. . .

Since your stored message box is full will post this here

Looked at your mask mock up and it raised some questions.
I''ve had a few including even with different strength diopters (in case I wanted to peer myopically with one eye at a closer distance) but all ran across the mask horizontally like readers.
Never seen it run up the inner side like that and was told they don't do progressive lenses in dive masks.
Is it a conceptual thing as I've never heard of looking at your nose to see vs tipping head to peer thru readers.....
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom