Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand.....I keep telling her this is the time the water is full of pollution and sewage.....all the outflows from the canals, run-off from lawns and agricultural fertilizers, and the tannins from the river and mangroves make a nice low vis "soup" that you guys are subjecting your skin to, and sometimes even getting in your mouths !!!! Durring High tide, the enormous flow of pure ocean water coming into the inlet gives us great water quality in the BHB area around high tide.... I have used testing kits ( same as Government uses for water quality tests) and so has Skip of Force E...the test show clean sea water at high tide.....Low tide--you are doing this for your passion, against common sense.....but who ever said divers were full of common sense :)
What's the worst contaminants? I've been in pretty bad water in Iraq and A-stan (ever swim with turds? Not recommended), and I'm not adverse to diving at low tides...unless it's comtaminated with super hepatitisEbolAIDS.

Nice morning. I've seen several sharptail eels there but this was the first time I saw one open the long dorsal fin.

DSCN1247.jpg

---------- Post added April 11th, 2014 at 09:25 PM ----------

When you invited me the other day for the Sat morning AM dive, I thought to myself, there's no way in hell I'd get up that early! 2 days later my charter gets cancelled and I was Jonesing so bad for a dive, I couldn't not get up :). Now we are being told next Friday (our scheduled SL8r night dive) is expected to be rough too. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

Tough time of year to get out on boats. The seas will be very inconsistent until the end of May when things reliably calm down. We might get lucky and hit calm spells but you never know. The bridge will be the "go to" spot till then. Capt Sl8tr had to cancel the barbeque/cruise/dive but says he will do one in May. Can't wait!.

We might do the Force-E dive tomorrow night. Vis reports have been good. Was beautiful last Sunday.

Had a nice dive this morning. 73°F water and 20-30' vis. Spent (wasted?) a lot of time looking for dwarf frogfish but as usual couldn't find any. In addition to what is shown in these photos I saw several octopus, a guitarfish, juvenile sea robin, juvenile flying gurnard, juvenile cornetfish, and an uncooperative bumblebee shrimp.

Couldn't get the timing right for the actual sailfin, but got a decent shot anyhow:

jpeg-4111.jpg

Saw about a dozen small peppermint shrimp under a rock:

jpeg-4096.jpg jpeg-4095.jpg

This picture is interesting because of the eggs in the background:

jpeg-4100.jpg

Female sailfin blenny and Dragonette:

jpeg-4113.jpg jpeg-4122.jpg

Blenny!

jpeg-4091.jpg

Last edited:
had a nice dive this morning. 73°f water and 20-30' vis. Spent (wasted?) a lot of time looking for dwarf frogfish but as usual couldn't find any. In addition to what is shown in these photos i saw several octopus, a guitarfish, juvenile sea robin, juvenile flying gurnard, juvenile cornetfish, and an uncooperative bumblebee shrimp.

Couldn't get the timing right for the actual sailfin, but got a decent shot anyhow:

jpeg-4111.jpg

saw about a dozen small peppermint shrimp under a rock:

View attachment 181681 View attachment 181682

this picture is interesting because of the eggs in the background:

View attachment 181684

dragonettes:

View attachment 181685 View attachment 181686

blenny!

jpeg-4091.jpg

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spent (wasted?)
Are you questioning if dive time can be wasted???

Burn The Heretic!! :D:D:D

Awesome pictures. How on earth did you get that close to the Sailfin Blenny?

---------- Post added April 12th, 2014 at 01:22 PM ----------

Nice morning. I've seen several sharptail eels there but this was the first time I saw one open the long dorsal fin.

View attachment 181679
Awesome. Never seen the fin before.

Where is the guitarfish? I was really hoping to see it Friday.

Tim, amazing photos! I installed loc line arms on my pvc gopro rig, it was awesome being able to adjust my lighting. Next I'll start spending $$ on the macro lenses.

I have wasted a lot of time looking for dwarf frogfish. have yet to see one. I am beginning to doubt their existence!

---------- Post added April 12th, 2014 at 04:08 PM ----------

The guitarfish was basically right off the beach towards the west side if I remember correctly. It swam away from me when I saw it plus way too big to take a picture of with the macro setup

That's sheer awesome...

Here's the video from our Friday morning sunrise dive. I misspelled starring :(. Oh well.

At the end of the video are some elongated fish floating at the surface. Any chance someone can ID them?

[video=youtube_share;4yOQdiM9qoM]http://youtu.be/4yOQdiM9qoM[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom