Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the net, but I'd like some way to stash them in my zookeeper without touching them. Ideas?

Use the net and gloves. Catch the lil prick, pinch the middle of the net to keep the LF in the end of it, slip the net neck over the ZK, slide it towards the fish, release your hand from the middle and push the LF in.

It seems that if someone took a dedicated lionfish container such as the zookeeper to BHB, they would allow the killing of lionfish. You can clearly see it is for that use and its easy enough to check when they exit the water! Mine is labeled LIONFISH on the side just so no one has any stupid ideas about sticking their hands in it.

I eat them. Have you had Lionfish before?
Many many times. There is a recipe in the Lionfish cookbook that calls for the LF drenched in panko and coconut, fried (we do it in coconut oil), then topped with a mango chutney sauce. OMG!!!

The other thing, the LF at the bridge generally are not big enough to fillet. Last one I killed there I just hacked it with my knife. (quite a few pages back, I posted a pic or two).

Use the net and gloves. Catch the lil prick, pinch the middle of the net to keep the LF in the end of it, slip the net neck over the ZK, slide it towards the fish, release your hand from the middle and push the LF in.

It seems that if someone took a dedicated lionfish container such as the zookeeper to BHB, they would allow the killing of lionfish. You can clearly see it is for that use and its easy enough to check when they exit the water! Mine is labeled LIONFISH on the side just so no one has any stupid ideas about sticking their hands in it.
I was thinking maybe a rock (or a lead weight?) smashed on it while in the bag would kill it instantly, then just chop it's wooly head off to leave for the critters..

Many many times. There is a recipe in the Lionfish cookbook that calls for the LF drenched in panko and coconut, fried (we do it in coconut oil), then topped with a mango chutney sauce. OMG!!!

The other thing, the LF at the bridge generally are not big enough to fillet. Last one I killed there I just hacked it with my knife. (quite a few pages back, I posted a pic or two).

I was thinking maybe a rock (or a lead weight?) smashed on it while in the bag would kill it instantly, then just chop it's wooly head off to leave for the critters..

Jenny,
Here are 20 Lionfish recipes in case you or any of the other trolls decide to do a cookout....

• Fluffy Battered Lionfish
    Take pancake mix, lemon pepper, milk and egg mix together / dip the lionfish with slits cut on the side in the batter then deep fry / make a dipping sauce out of mayonnaise hot sauce, salt, pepper, and finely chopped fresh cilantro / Serve with homemade deep fried shoestring potatoes cole slaw and a slice of lime.
  • Bahamian Fish Fry Lionfish
    Grind a hot pepper in salt / cut slits in the side of the lionfish (head on) and rub the spicy salt all over the body of the fish / hard pan fry with peanut oil 1/4" deep. Serve with peas and rice, home made macaroni and cheese, and cole slaw with hot sauce.
  • South Pacific Grilled Lionfish
    Briefly marinate lionfish filets in calamnsi juice (or lime) and salt. Flash grill in hot pan with olive oil or serve as ceviche. Make a dip by crushing 3 mild chillies in soy sauce and calamansi juice (or lime). Serve with sticky rice, grilled vegetables and mango chutney on the side. Eat with chop sticks.
  • Lionfish Sushi
    Place sticky rice on seaweed wrap. Place raw lionfish filet, thin long sliced carrots, cucumber, raw turnip and fresh basil leaf. Roll tight and serve with soy sauce and wasabi
  • Buttered Lionfish Grill Style
    Place butter, Lionfish filet, sliced onion, squash, zuccini , and carrot with a squeeze of lime in a piece of aluminum foil and place over a fire for around 6 to 8 minutes. Serve with a roll (so you can dip it in the sauce)
  • Lionfish Wrap
    First make your own bread by combining equal parts white and whole wheat (2 cups), pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons of of olive oil, and about 1/2 cup of water. Mix together to a firm dough consistency. Flatten dough with rolling pin or bottle and place in a hot non-greased pan. A couple of minutes on each side. Spice Lionfish filets with lemon pepper and grill till golden brown on each side. Wrap fish, lettuce, tomato, black olives, thin carrot and onion slices in the wrap. Make a dressing out of equal parts olive oil and apple cider vinegar with salt pepper and fresh thyme. Shake vigorously in a bottle and pour in the wrap.
  • Hot Lionfish Poppers
    Lightly grill Lionfish filets in olive oil and your choice of spice. Slice a pickled cherry pepper half way through and take out the seeds. Stuff with shredded jack cheese and grilled Lionfish and precooked bacon bits. Sprinkle the stuffed pepper with flour and dip it in pancake batter. Deep fry until golden brown. Dip in marinara sauce.
  • Lionfish Jerky
    Whisk 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and put on low heat until sugar melts. Cut Lionfish fillets into 1-inch wide strips lengthwise soak in soy mixture in the fridge for 4 hrs. Remove, pat dry, and place in dehydrator or oven on lowest temp for the desired dryness level.
    • Lionfish Ceviche
      Marinate filet Lionfish, sliced onion, salt & pepper in fresh squeezed lime juice. Eat with crackers
    • Lionfish with smoked Trout Roe
      Place 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Trout Roe on a raw Lionfish filet on a crustless white bread toast point. Place 2 capers on top and serve.
    • Lionfish Fingers
      Soak Lionfish in beer for 5 minutes, dip in milk then dip in egg, dust in mixture of flour, salt, pepper nutmeg, and basil. Deep fry until golden brown.
    • Mojo's Lionfish Alfredo
      then put small lionfish filets in for 3 minutes. Pour over pasta, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, garnish with fresh parsley and serve with garlic toast
    • Blackened Lionfish with Creamy Crab and Shrimp Sauce
      Mix cream with butter and creole mustard until thickened. Mix in crab meat and chopped shrimp with cajun seasoning until shrimp is done. Pour the cream sauce over a blackened pre-grilled Lionfish and serve over herb-flavored couscous with a side of steamed green beans
    • TeriyaKI Lionfish
      Whisk teriyaki and garlic together and rub on lionfish filets cover and keep cool for 15 minutes. Grill or broil fish. When done sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve with boiled potatoes and grilled vegetables
    • Pineapple Lionfish Kabob
      Skewer Lionfish filets with pineapple, onion, bell pepper, tomato wedges, and shrimp. Rub a mixture of honey and teriyaki on the skewer as it is over the grill
      • Almond Broiled Lionfish
        Finely grind almonds, bread, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a food processor. Add roasted peppers, vinegar, and salt & pepper, then puree, adding oil in a slow stream. Pour puree over Lionfish in a baking pan and broil
      • Black Beaned Lionfish
        Puree black beans, olive oil, salt, pepper, and lime juice then simmer in a saucepan. Simmer a combination of olive oil, white wine, scallions, tomato and poblamo for a minute and add Lionfish filet. Cook 5 minutes. Strain sauce into black bean sauce and mix. Pour the combo sauce on a plate and place the fish filet and simmered vegetables on top. Garnish with cilantro
      • Smoked Lionfish Dip
        Cut slits into whole lionfish and rub lemon pepper into the flesh. Cook on the grill until done. When coals burn down place lionfish back on the grill over night to dry out and absorb smoke. In the morning pull flesh off of the fish. Combine smoked lionfish with mayonnaise, fresh cilantro, fresh squeezed lemon juice, lemon pepper, onion, diced carrot, and hot sauce. Serve in a toast sandwich with lettuce and tomato
      • Steamed Lionfish
        Coat aluminum foil wrap in olive oil then insert lionfish, onion, tomato slices, bell pepper, carrot, pineapple, squash, zuccini, lemon zest, salt, pepper, thyme. Place over a fire for 6 to 10 minutes. Serve with brown rice and a slice of fresh mango on the side

Yum. Now I need to get out on a boat and get some decent sized ones..

BTW, I made a custom lionfish stamp for my logbook. Every kill gets a stamp. Some pages have multiple stamps. I think my best day was 9 in one dive...

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 10:18 AM ----------

Artwork for the stamp. :) the stamp is only about a 1/2"
575962_10150662908978531_412651842_n.jpg

Dan, you're getting me hungry!!

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 04:41 PM ----------

Jenny, are you the one with the white/pink fins?

I have a set of Hedge clippers that will slide into a dive knife scabbard ( the old style big knives, not the little ones of today)....the hedge clippers would rip the spines right off, keeping your hands far away from the danger zone....and the Lionfish is left like a plucked chicken :)

I have a set of Hedge clippers that will slide into a dive knife scabbard ( the old style big knives, not the little ones of today)....the hedge clippers would rip the spines right off, keeping your hands far away from the danger zone....and the Lionfish is left like a plucked chicken :)
I plan to use EMT shears. The ones that can literally cut a penny in half.

Thanks. On a side note, I thought you meant another term when you said "LF". Little F.... never mind. :D

It seems that if someone took a dedicated lionfish container such as the zookeeper to BHB, they would allow the killing of lionfish. You can clearly see it is for that use and its easy enough to check when they exit the water!

I will email the DNR and ask.

Mine is labeled LIONFISH on the side just so no one has any stupid ideas about sticking their hands in it.
Ha! I really, really favor letting people learn by making mistakes (as long as they don't break something expensive or seriously hurt themselves). I wouldn't mind letting a nosy person stick their hand in there. I learned in preschool to keep my hands to myself. :D

Then you know why I want the carcasses! :D

I used to take kids fishing. Every kid wants to (meaning wants me to) fillet and eat their 4 inch Bluegill. When in Key Largo, I had Lionfish Piccata at Mrs. Mac's. I think a little lionfish would be perfect for the Lionfish medallions they used.

Perfect. A Rock. I love it.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has language as to licensing requirements to harvest Lionfish. Here is a link to the page. Lionfish Recreational Regulations
Best I can tell it seems clear that a license is not required, so long Lionfish is being targeted. No size limit nor limit on quantities. The language does state that in the Florida Keys, there is a special permit required to harvest Lionfish. This is because Federal jurisdiction does exist over the Florida Keys Marine Sanctuary, and State rules in respect of Federal laws is authorizing harvesting so long the Feds agree- Which they largely do, specially after taking a REEF.org class and applying for the special permit with NOAA and FDEP.

In any case, do we know if anyone at this point would be getting in trouble for taking in a small pole spear designed to harvest Lionfish, and putting it to use at the Bridge, so long they are complying fully with State law?

Is there some special rule, ordinance or law that trumps State Regulations in this case? If so, is it possible to get a link to the rule or to the web page where the opposing rule is posted. I would think that in the case of harvesting Lionfish, State, Federal and Local governments would largely be in support.

I saw a pretty large Lionfish a few weeks ago near the boat channel and did not have any tools to even try taking it out. If there is a rule against this at the bridge, it's best to fully comply, get permission first and then remove once an OK is given. I don't known that County, City or municipality regulations on Lionfish can trump State law.

We may just need to do a little Lionfish derby at the bridge amongst a few of us and go clean up the area. Don't want to get anyone of us in trouble, but don't want to just talk about it either. Any thoughts?

In any case, do we know if anyone at this point would be getting in trouble for taking in a small pole spear designed to harvest Lionfish, and putting it to use at the Bridge, so long they are complying fully with State law?
Yes.

From your link:
"Spears may not be used:

• Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom