Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maribi and I are finally going to get back in the water at BHB on Sunday. Have had a terrible summer and can't wait to see my fishy friends and my human diving friends! Dan, are you going to be arouind?
Been so long that I have no idea where anything is. Are frogfish still around? Can someone pm me with some tips?

Guy
Sandra and I will probably do the BHB on Sunday...but it is not set in stone yet.....Let's chat by phone Saturday :)

Here is another photo of the stargazer. I want to say Northern. Usually they spook if you get too close. But he wasn't going to let anything disturb his little sun bath!
View attachment 162884

So, he was out in the open like that when you came across him?? Cool!

So, he was out in the open like that when you came across him?? Cool!

Yup. Usually all you see is eyes and mouth. And if you DO find one in the open they take off right away. Not this guy!

Was in such need of a dive, I braved the Sunday crowds and got a dive in. High tide was 12:03 and by the time I got there at 9:30 the first two rows were already filled as the rest of the lot was filling quickly. I tried to keep to myself, and away from the crowds, which was suprisingly easy, but some diver was kind enough to silt up my photoshot as they swam right over my subject and me, waving hi the whole time. Then somebody later motioned to me, saying something, but I did not understand. They wrote something in the sand. Huh? then they swam away and almost knocked my face mask off with their fin. Other than those two incidents, I had a wonderful 3:30 dive of solitude. Found a green slug on some feather algae, a jaw fish that was not shy about coming out of it's hole and spitting rocks on it's partner, and a pike blenny. Sweet. Oh, the coolest thing was some sort of sole- black with white stripes.. Will post photos soon..

Yup. Usually all you see is eyes and mouth. And if you DO find one in the open they take off right away. Not this guy!

So, he was dead??

Probably just forgot to get buried and was so used to not being visible, that he assumed that he *still* wasn't visible. Fish don't drink, do they?

So, he was dead??

Probably just forgot to get buried and was so used to not being visible, that he assumed that he *still* wasn't visible. Fish don't drink, do they?

"Maybe if I'm vewy vewy quiet they won't see me ..."

i've seen an experiment where they got fish drunk -- not sure if they used vodka or rum.

one of these times i'll get back up to the bridge..

A
Was in such need of a dive, I braved the Sunday crowds and got a dive in. High tide was 12:03 and by the time I got there at 9:30 the first two rows were already filled as the rest of the lot was filling quickly. I tried to keep to myself, and away from the crowds, which was suprisingly easy, but some diver was kind enough to silt up my photoshot as they swam right over my subject and me, waving hi the whole time. Then somebody later motioned to me, saying something, but I did not understand. They wrote something in the sand. Huh? then they swam away and almost knocked my face mask off with their fin. Other than those two incidents, I had a wonderful 3:30 dive of solitude. Found a green slug on some feather algae, a jaw fish that was not shy about coming out of it's hole and spitting rocks on it's partner, and a pike blenny. Sweet. Oh, the coolest thing was some sort of sole- black with white stripes.. Will post photos soon..

Ha!
clearly you missed the PADI inept diver underwater communication course (IDUWCC)...
if you had, you would know the howdy wave (as you destroy another's divers imaging as well as their outed critter/subject's habitat)
is the highest form of inept diver kudos.
Cryptic sand drawing is an advanced course akin to cave drawing,
by this point my half hour investment of creeping up by inches to capture a rare subject interactions is now rendered moot by the errant fin kick to show me the rare yellowy starfish thingeee:
Having been guilty of calling my buddy away from something extravagant for the mundane (and inadvert bottom stirrage), I can relate.
look forward to seeing your pictures of any sole you saw, have a couple unusual ones left on my hit list!!!!!l

Last dive I had to physically move a remora like snorkeler to get time on a shy subject.
No malicious intent just youthful impatience!
The wave off was insufficient but the relocation by fins was unmistakable. Lol!

John:D

Last edited:
I would think that the IDUWC should be given to most divers at the bridge. :shakehead:

I went to the Blue Heron Bridge this past weekend for the first time!!! Loved it!!! I cannot wait to go back. I really want a t shirt. :) Sometime I really want to try a night dive there. It is definitely worth the drive over. I'd like to camp and I think there's a state park not too far from there (much closer than where I am on the west coast.) Anyways, just wanted to say hi and hope I will be back soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom