Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am planning my first BHB trip soon. I own an Inflatable Float and Dive Flag: Inflatable Float and Dive Flag for Snorkeling and Scuba Diving (does not come with a tow line) and I was wondering what do any of you suggest/prefer as a tow line to your safety float:confused:? TIA :thumb:

If you have a reel, you can hook it to the reel line: even a finger reel will work. I sometimes use a 25 foot nylon line that has clips on both ends that I picked up at Divers Direct and then wind that around a cheapo plastic extension cord winding device I got at Home Depot for a couple of bucks.

150 ft. 16/3 Extension Cord Wrap-CE-150PDQ at The Home Depot

20ft Snorkel Flag Line Holder at Divers Direct

Believe it or not the best line for a dive flag is 65# Powerpro Braided Fishing line. The small diameter cuts down the drag considerably. It is incredibly strong. A knife or scissors are a must to cut the line in case of a tangle. I've been using it for years....

Believe it or not the best line for a dive flag is 65# Powerpro Braided Fishing line. The small diameter cuts down the drag considerably. It is incredibly strong. A knife or scissors are a must to cut the line in case of a tangle. I've been using it for years....

Interesting. Any problem with other divers failing to see it and swimming into it??

Great conditions for the sunday night dive, an easy 25 foot viz early on. Octopus, lionfish,
spotted eels, sea slugs, small southern ray, and all the other usual suspects. Pretty comfortable
in a 3 mm with 1 mm hooded vest but did get a bit cool at one point. Thanks again to Force-E for
hosting these night dives !

I thought it was clearer than that. A few clips I shot

[video=youtube_share;AP-UJMxEZ5I]http://youtu.be/AP-UJMxEZ5I[/video]

---------- Post added January 28th, 2013 at 10:10 PM ----------

I would not use that stuff, especailly around barnacle covered bridge pillings. I use a hard float and have about 6 feet of thick rope as a leader on my float and this rope takes most of the abuse from the bridge and barnacles.

Interesting. Any problem with other divers failing to see it and swimming into it??

I don't know anyone else that loads there reels with Power Pro. But I have never had that problem. We generally try to give each other some space.

I would not use that stuff, especailly around barnacle covered bridge pillings. I use a hard float and have about 6 feet of thick rope as a leader on my float and this rope takes most of the abuse from the bridge and barnacles.

I agree about the hard float. We started using PP line to pull snook and grouper away from docks and mangroves. Never had a problem with line failure. It is pretty tough stuff. The leader you speak of wouldn't hurt. In open water, I try to do whatever I can to reduce drag from the dive flag.

65# Power Pro has the diameter of 20# monofilament fishing line. Since you only need at most 300ft of line, you have to spool your reel with backing prior to loading the PP. That will save you a lot of reeling.

Hey Dumpsterdiver were you using the Gopro in the tray with two lights on arms? If so thanks for pointing out the Octopus earlier.

Yeah probably was me...I was alone and did some scuba and some snorkeling that night

I think it's pretty hard to beat the standard yellow polypropylene for tow flag line, probably the reason it is standard.
Yellow making it more visible than most other lines and the poly is less likely to tangle than other lines. I tried a reel
one time and ended up going back to the standard styrofoam ball and flag with yellow line and the yellow handle.
DD, yeah the viz was probably better than the 25 I mentioned. At one point I glanced over toward my buddy who had strayed
just a bit and the overhead light from topside created a pretty cool silhouette of her gliding above some structure. Wish I had
the camera at that time !

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom