Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You find Spearfishing to be offensive behavior? Less than a person? I don't even know what to say about that. You can feel anyway you want but a view like that lacks logic or reasoning.
Your not following the conversation....I already said I spearfish, and I, and many people at the BHB have no problem with spearfishing.....
What I have a problem with is with some low life showing up at a swimming beach, or a marine park, and spearfishing.

We have awesome reefs and wrecks for spearfishing....you just don't go to a petting zoo with a shot gun, and start taking shots at Bambi.... that's what this is about.

Fake debris

Had some new finds again today. You know, a lot of these little creatures look so much like debris that I'm losing trust in animalkind. s

Not only did this guy *look* like debris, he also went far out of his way to *act* like debris. Live fish don't typically flop over on their sides and bob around in the surge as if it were dead. It was a major afterthought to go to the trouble to go over and check out this bit of orange that was bobbing and bouncing in a slight depression with other bits of flotsam.

It was equally amazing to see how brilliantly decorated he was up close. I think I've seen a pic of one of these posted previously in the thread. My gloved finger tip is in this shot for size perspective.

Kevin

IMG_5757wa.jpg

---------- Post added ----------

Had never before been able to get close enough to the garden eels to get reasonable photos. Went from turning off the strobes in order to avoid the backscatter from the original distance (and doing things like slowing down the shutter speed and moving the f/stop down to 4 {not pretty :D}) to creeping up close enough to get the shutter speed up to 1/200 and the f/stop up to 32. (Still haven't figured out the ideal f/stop for macro).

IMG_5712wa.jpgIMG_5747wa.jpg

As long as I'm trying to show some sizes, here's one of my finger to show how small some of these cool little seaweed blennies are. Probably ought to start carrying something better for demonstrating sizes, but I've heard of an octopus robbing one of her quarter utilized in such a manner.:shocked2:

IMG_5641wa size.jpg

I wish he would have spread all his fins for me to show how pretty they are. Actually, haven't even looked at all the shots, yet, so maybe he did. . .

IMG_5756wa.jpg

Can't help but wonder if the fact that I'm now seeing lots of whatever these little things are is closely related to having seen the little boxfish head bobbing around yesterday. Found myself wasting a *lot* of time yesterday checking out (via viewfinder for its magnifying advantage) of practically every piece of debris that I came across - especially if it was red or orange. Actually, yellow seems to be more the theme for this trip. More later, I hope.

IMG_5748wa not a boxfish.jpg

Kevin

Oh, and I've lately seemed to have better luck with these little (blind?) shrimp allowing closer approach. Wondering if any of this might be related to being in the water so far ahead of high tide. .

.IMG_5740wa.jpg

Now that I look at this shot, I'm immediately reminded of something similar looking in nature -
Atteva aurea - Ailanthus Webworm Moth

Species Atteva aurea - Ailanthus Webworm Moth - Hodges#2401 - BugGuide.Net

Kevin
thinking out loud

IMG_5759wa Atteva aurea Ailanthus Webworm Moth.jpg

Looks like a very productive trip.
I'm jealous:D
Great shot on the two garden eels, their color really pops.
John

nice shots.. so, did you figure out what the little orange guy is? My guess would be a juvie squirrelfish.

Not only did this guy *look* like debris, he also went far out of his way to *act* like debris. Live fish don't typically flop over on their sides and bob around in the surge as if it were dead. It was a major afterthought to go to the trouble to go over and check out this bit of orange that was bobbing and bouncing in a slight depression with other bits of flotsam.

It was equally amazing to see how brilliantly decorated he was up close. I think I've seen a pic of one of these posted previously in the thread. My gloved finger tip is in this shot for size perspective.

Kevin

View attachment 127027

It is a juv Short Bigeye-on my wish list. Lucky you

In late summer/early fall we get got some juvenile tropicals in New England waters. Last October I saw a bunch of juvenile Short Bigeye. The attached pic was taken on 10/22/11 at Folly Cove, MA. Water temp 55F. Notice the lobster tail in the right half of the picture.

DSC09941.jpg

pipefish?

P6140952.jpg

Here's another "I don't know what it is" photo. I believe a pipefish, but don't know what kind.

Nice to meet you also, Jim and Carol! Thanks for the helpful hints. We hopefully will be back next summer! All of us, especially Beth, learned alot in our 5 dives this week. What a treasure you have there.

Brenda, David, and Beth

yes, that is a pipefish, I think a diamond pipefish, but I may well be very wrong.

The tiger goby is getting so big! It has moved to a new home (a couple feet away) and has tripled + in size since I first found it, to about an inch now. Yes, it shares a home with an octopus. Octopus wasn't happy I was there, but once realized he was not the subject of my camera, it started to relax and get a little curious.
534283_10150881026873531_497070777_n.jpg

Good evening everyone.
Well we have a few updates for the dive party at BHB in October.
There is a bunch of us that will be staying in Key Largo starting October 18th.
The 18th Everyone arrives in Key Largo and we will be doing some site seeing.
The 19th Is a relaxation day and also we are going to be going to Harry Harris Outlet. We will be doing some diving there, perhaps some lobster fishing. Also we are planning a Nice dinner at the restaurant there. You are able to see a beautiful sunset and they have a live band there.
The 20th is the Dive Party at BHB.
The 21st We are spending the day on the beach and site seeing around Key Largo.
The 22nd Is the dive charter with Ocean Divers. .... The Christ of Abyss, The Aquarium Dive or Benwood Wreck. (shallow)
23rd Lauderdale by the Sea. ..... 2 dive. Day time and one evening. Some site seeing.
24th. Swim with the dolphins and sea lions.
The 25th. We will be leaving Key Largo for our track to start back up to PA. But one of our stops on the way will be at Panama City Beach, FL. to go diving for the day on the 26th. There is a few SB members going nto be meeting us there for a get together and a great day of diving. If you would like to meet us there, please just let me know so we can plan accordingly. :) Then we will be leaving there for our track up to Atlanta, GA. for a few hours. Then we will be heading the rest of our way back up to PA.
Also, there is a house that is being rented out to the SB members that sleeps 7. It will be $18 a night. if 7 people stay there. It is fully furnished. The master bedroom has a queen size bed. The 2nd bedroom has 2 twin beds. Plus there is a couch and queen size air mattress. Has wifi. If interested please call 305 393 9686 to make the reservation. Please ask for Speargirl. Also a lot of the hotels are getting booked in Key Largo. Due to a convention going on a couple days we are down there.
We are so much looking forward to meeting everyone.
Have a safe and wonderful diving season.
MedFlame03 aka Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom