Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dive the bridge a little more & you will recognize things. For example I saw a video posted here (not yours) & by the end I knew exactly where to go even though no location was mentioned. Talk all you want post all you want. I won't unless it is someone I know. I am not giving an edge to anyone who might collect.

As I've said before, I do post images but if the location is easily recognized I wait between 3 and 6 weeks to post the image.
But we each must decide on what we are comfortable with doing to protect the bridge and also be able to share out finds with this group. "D's" way certainly is one way to accomplish this and I laud her efforts.
My way is more of a compromise but for now it works for me.

the sad reality is that we know that collectors lurk here. Yet it would be narrow minded to think that this is the only place collectors get their information. There are just too many boards, photo sites, personal blogs, etc., and the collectors themselves that share info. Yes, it is prudent to be careful on who we reveal our secrets to, yet let's remember we are not the only ones out there that know of this special place.

Dive the bridge a little more & you will recognize things. For example I saw a video posted here (not yours) & by the end I knew exactly where to go even though no location was mentioned. Talk all you want post all you want. I won't unless it is someone I know. I am not giving an edge to anyone who might collect.

I think it was my video. The one I posted over a year ago on the old thread. It was the first time I had my little Flip and was so excited to see sea horses. Being somewhat new to Scuba Board it never occurred to me that people would use it for nefarious means. But word had gotten out from a variety of sources, including the DM's at Force E, that there was a pregnant male in that area.

Unfortunately there was also a night dive scheduled right around that same time. That is the dive I refer to as "The Baby Daddy Debacle." Divers swarmed. I remember seeing nothing but bodies, lights and clouds of silt. Every bit of anything (not just fishes) was trampled.

I learned my lesson. It's not just collectors we have to worry about. Some of these animals are in super vulnerable locations and it's easy to destroy habitat even when innocently just looking.

I am with you 100%.
My point being I dive the bridge a lot and a close up of a lined seahorse face doesn't help me location wise.
I just haven't seen any pictures that "give" the location away recently.
We are on the same side I just don't see what is being revealed in posts lately, if you have a specific example pm me.
I think I know the bridge fairly well......
If it was Kevin we can ban him to the ocean rocks :D

As one who has recently been chastised for posting "wee coarse" pics, I can say that I really did not think I was giving anything away - either in the photos (all were close macro) or my description of where I was diving (other than being in this thread). On review, I did say that I saw a fair number of them on a single dive. That may have been enough incentive for the collector to go on the hunt. On my last day at the bridge, I returned to the specific area where I had photographed 3 of them and none could be found. Still found a couple others on the dive, but not in the prime spot. All that said, the collectors obviously know their habitat and habits and know where to look for them. While this is a great thread - the best on ScubaBoard in my opinion - sharing will lead to more divers visiting the dive site and, unfortunately, collectors.

Not sure legislation is the answer to the problem, but getting the area listed as a marine park could be an important first step. The economics have to be in favor - just look at the $$$ in the parking lot every weekend. The money is not coming from collecting - it is coming from divers traveling from all over to see this unique marine environment. Don't tell my wife this, but my dive buddy and I pumped over $2k into the local economy (hotel, meals, dive gear [Force E had a great sale!], etc.) for our 5 dives at BHB last week. Others have indicated work is underway (marine park status) - what can be done to help?

Whoa I was just making another reminder to be careful. This is not based on any recent
Photo or video ( and no Joanie it wasn't your video).I am just as concerned about in water cleanups at BHB & people accidentally removing critters that hide deep in cans or bottles. I am overly cautious having witnessed snorkelers take a seahorse to the surface & octos being returned during cleanups.

Ok, let's change the subject. Where exactly is that lionfish? Is it STILL alive?? Might there be two? One under the east span, and one near the pilings?

I plan on being up there on Friday morning. Blonde moment here, I know I told a couple people I'd be happy to dive with them, but dang if I can remember who!!! Can you remind me if it was you? LOL :rofl3:

I plan on being up there on Friday morning. Blonde moment here, I know I told a couple people I'd be happy to dive with them, but dang if I can remember who!!! Can you remind me if it was you? LOL :rofl3:[/QUOTE]

What if you only wish it was you?

Am planning on coming up for Friday night: Sat morning/night: Sunday morning triple play but can't get off work early enough to do Friday morning.
Already looking forward to it!:banana:

John

I plan on being up there on Friday morning. Blonde moment here, I know I told a couple people I'd be happy to dive with them, but dang if I can remember who!!! Can you remind me if it was you? LOL :rofl3:

What if you only wish it was you?

Am planning on coming up for Friday night: Sat morning/night: Sunday morning triple play but can't get off work early enough to do Friday morning.
Already looking forward to it!:banana:

John[/QUOTE]

I am not sure who John was quoting.. But me and my dive buddy plan to dive there Friday morning for our first time there... We'd gladly go with someone that's familiar with the area!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom