Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a collector nor am I even in your geat state. I have to say that there are laws for a reason, and if someone is following the law then you really can't/shouldn't do anything to stop them. If you have a problem contact your congressmen about changing it. Like reck diver said, Fwc will pretend to be a collector to investigate claims of herrasment. California fish and game does that where I am. They will do it to you.
While I understand the passion us divers have about our dive sites, we have to understand that we share these waters with everyone and we have no more claim on it then boaters/fisherman/swimmers/collectos.
alright, I have said my piece, now post more amazing videos and pictures of this incredible muck diving site.

Unusual, as you both sound like you have a vested interest but if you are just offering heartfelt advice then your opinion is appreciated.
In the undercover FWC scenario I would surface and say you are not allowed to collect here.
If they tell me otherwise I'll take my chances.
Hopefully more video soon.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Not necessarily so.... perhaps the "hunter" carries no camera but turns out to be an on-duty FWC officer investigating was has been written in the posts on this thread. They do that you know.... He presents his FWC Badge, orders you to the surface where his partner will be waiting, and then you are starring at least a 1st degree misdemeanor, level 2 violation. It can, and does happen.

I can tell you they (FWC) do take that law seriously.
If they are not willing to do this routinely for the much more important issue of coral damage from anchoring, don't you think it a little ridiculous for them to put man-power into this nonsense issue at BHB ?
Certainly if the public was polled regarding the relative importance of preventing coral reef destruction, or preventing some great white hunter from having his "quarry" scared away by a photographer, they would be up in arms over the reef issue, and laughing over the hunting issue.

The county controls the waters off Phil Foster Park and a ban on collecting tropical and ornamentals is being given serious consideration. On a state level both congress and senate representatives have been approached. The reason we are able to take these lovely images and videos is because 99.9 % of the divers here try everything they can to preserve and cherish our site.
BTW, I've had park rangers ticket folks (this happened twice now) and make them return the wildlife to the water when said "collectors" didn't have proper permits.

I'm all for dropping this subject...its been beaten to death.

I love to see all of these pictures, muck diving in Monterey gets very cold when you don't move around all that much. When the time comes for me to dive in your warm Florida water. Believe me, BHB will be my first site.

BHB Dive 3/31 and 4/1: WOW! Was the water busy Saturday and Sunday. Divers, snorkelers, swimmers, partypeople, fisherpeople and NO PARKING! Anyway, I dove the bridge Saturday and Sunday high tide. Sunday's dive was the best of the 2 days. Sunday was the day for Jawfish. I saw at least 3 that I took pics of. # One was just hanging out of his hole watching what was happening. # Two was building a new home. I watched as he dumped mouthfuls of shells out of his new burrow (pretty cool). I was done taking pics of his excavation techniques and about to leave my perch when right next to me was # Three Jawfish with a mouthful of eggs!! Awesome! He just sat there as I watched him sit there doing what Jawfish do with a mouthful of eggs. That was the best part of the entire dive and weekend. Add to that a Spotted Batfish and a Hogfish. I'll post pics when I download them from my camera.

A sad report that a few more seahorses were taken last week. Don't people realize they won't survive. Once again I ask that no photos or discussions mention the easiest of collected critters. Now or in the future. Or for that matter anything that doesn't move much I suggest be careful posting photos & talking about where they can be found. And to think I use to love to share

That makes me overwhelmingly sad.
Just because it's legal doesn't make it OK (in my humble opinion).
I count my own BHB/seahorse experience as one of the best in my short dive career.
Sigh

Such a shame. Besides just jaw-droppingly beautiful, I've learned a lot about my own picture-taking by studying the photos posted on this thread. I hope that doesn't somehow get lost in all this.

Here are a few from today. Jim will post temp & viz report, I'm sure. My computer is currently enjoying a fresh water bath.

Dive 4-2 10.jpg Dive 4-2 5.jpg Dive 4-2 4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom