Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My buddy and I are thinking about diving the BHB the week of 2/20/12. This will be our first time diving the bridge and I was hoping you could answer a couple questions:
1) Is this a good week to dive the bridge, in terms of tides, etc?
2) What will the water temp be and what do people typically wear. We have 3 and 7 mil wetsuits
3) Any recommendations for dive and dog friendly hotels in the area?
4) Any dive shop recommendations?
5) Any other must do dives in the area?
6) Do any of you think you will be diving that week and want to show a couple of cold water divers all the good stuff?

I've been going through all the posts in this thread and am very excited to be planning this trip! Hope to see some batfish and stargazers :)

Anyone planning on going diving on Thursday or Friday? Going to be in Fort Pierce and contemplating driving the 1.5 hrs. I've never dove this area before so having someone giving me some pointers would be nice!
John and I are hitting the road in the next few minutes to drive down from Savannah. The dirty gray minivan with the two old guys in the parking lot would be we. We generally enter at *least* an hour prior to high tide - at least that's the "plan". . . Come on over and say "hello". Kevin Savannah

Hi all,

My buddy and I are thinking about diving the BHB the week of 2/20/12. This will be our first time diving the bridge and I was hoping you could answer a couple questions:
1) Is this a good week to dive the bridge, in terms of tides, etc?
2) What will the water temp be and what do people typically wear. We have 3 and 7 mil wetsuits
3) Any recommendations for dive and dog friendly hotels in the area?
4) Any dive shop recommendations?
5) Any other must do dives in the area?
6) Do any of you think you will be diving that week and want to show a couple of cold water divers all the good stuff?

I've been going through all the posts in this thread and am very excited to be planning this trip! Hope to see some batfish and stargazers :)

1. You are in luck tide wise...here is a link: Tides for Port of Palm Beach (Lake Worth) on February 2012
Most trolls get in between 30 and 60 minutes before hi tide.

2. water temp should be between 70 and 73...at least those are reading from my computer for the last week of Feb last year. I dive dry in the winter but I'd recommend the 7 mils as you will have very long dives (2 hours being close to the norm)

3. I can't help you too much there but I'm sure others will lend assistance

4. Force E is right on the other side of the bridge and I find them extremely helpful.

5. I'd try some dives on Breaker's Reef...lots of good boat here that go out every day such as Jim Abernathy's Scuba Adventures boat Deep Obsession and at the Jupiter Inlet Scuba Works' boat Blue Tang.

6. Send me a PM as I frequently dive the bridge and if I am not with students I might be able to join you.

Will try for 1 hour prior Thursaday am.
Going solo without my nudi spotter but happy to hook up with anyone that happens to be ready.
Hope Scuba Jenny can make it as I am no great guide.
I drive a old silver f250 with black video rig.
See you out there.
John

2 hours and 48 minutes of pure bliss today. Viz was 20-30 feet and temp 74.3. Jen did a great job of tucking me into my dry suit. We saw decorator crabs, tiny lined seahorses and Jets mating chains of ragged sea hares, there must have been over 100 in at least 5 different chains.
We got to talk to Btwist and I saw Kevin (who should retire as a photographer and donate his gear to someone). The other Bouyancy Babe was off doing who knows what on her natal anniversary.

Decorator Crab
Blue Heron Bridge Decorator Crab.jpg

Ragged Sea Hares (mating chain)
Blue Heron Bridge Ragged Sea Hare Mating Chain.jpg

Lined Seahorse
Blue Heron Bridge Lined Seahorse.jpg

Lined Seahorse
Blue Heron Bridge Tiny Lined Seahorse.jpg

Upside Down Jelly
Blue Heron Bridge Upside Down Jelly.jpg

This site never ceases to amaze!

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We came upon this pretty wide area of ogries of seahares, I'm guessing what we saw was 100 ft long and 50 ft wide area where every bump was a seahare. I got all excited cause I found 5, Jim didn't see me stop and I had to tug on his fin to turn around. In the process, I found the first seahorse. But Jim didn't turn right around and I'm wondering why. I keep shootiing, and here comes Jim. I show him the seahorse and the 5 seahares, and he starts shooting the horse. Cool. I wait, and he swims away. What?? What about the seahares? We get to where he was and now I know the reason he wasn't all excited about the 5..he was shooting an orgy of 7!!! Then a little further away was a string of 15! Incredible. Some of the seahares were burying themselves.. maybe burying eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom