Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove Saturday morning at the bridge. I arrived at 7:15am for a 9:51 HT. The sidewalk parking was full, and the 2nd row had 10 spots or so. Within 15 min, the 2nd row was full.

Since the last night dive, Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III, I've been getting a lot of friend requests on FB after my photos were shared in the BHB Club group. I had so many people approaching me, asking if I was Christian Jones, wanting to talk about what I found. I even received a message from someone who works with Paul Humann, author of the Reef Fish ID books, asking if they could use a couple of the pics in a project. I guess I did something right last week. A peak of my short-lived underwater photography fame. It was fun though, and I enjoyed getting to meet people who are so passionate about this stuff. I really enjoy hearing about the science of it all, but I suck at remembering it all (names, facts, etc). I wish I could talk the same talk, but I'm just an idiot who got lucky and found some cool looking critters and took pictures.

Vis was 10ft in the beach area, 15ft under the east bridge. Of course, once divers started entering up current, vis got worse while everyone kicked up silt, but it only temporary.

I dove in a group of 4. @SubNeo, an out of towner named Tammy, and @vr2o. Tammy is an excellent diver, instructor, etc. vr2o is new and wanting to dive more. Tammy picked up that he didn't have enough weights. I brought extra weight in case this happened, so we got another 4 lbs on him and went diving. vr2o lasted over 90 minutes on his first dive, which was really good.

I found a couple of nudi's, but I could not get any good pictures. There was a surge which through the subjects and me around. When you're trying to take a picture that magnified and you only have a few inches of focal distance to play with, it made for a frustrating shot. I hit several of the usual spots for nudis, sea slugs, etc, and found nothing.

At the end of the day, we had a good dive. SubNeo picked up a bunch of trash. Tammy got some cool pics, and vr2o went diving (and did pretty well for his first time).
Great company, I gotta keep improving buoyancy.

At the end, I think the initial weight was right, I was testing this "new" BCD and it felt weird. At the end of the dive, I felt it was too bulky for my preference.

It's always good to have those weights, just in case.

It was great to dive with Tammy. She was excellent indeed.

We did have a good dive... and good photography talk... thanks

Oh crap. Now all the fame is gonna go to his head..

I'll probably have to get a reservation to dive with him next time, instead of him wanting to dive with me!
Let me check my schedule... Sorry, my adoring fans wish to join me on that day...

Oh crap. Now all the fame is gonna go to his head..

I'll probably have to get a reservation to dive with him next time, instead of him wanting to dive with me!
Don't worry, I'll dive with you. We might have to head back a little early though. :)

Oh boy ….

I got out of the water at 3pm. As I am walking to my truck, there were two sheriffs cars driving all over the lot searching for something. Then another sheriff car, and another, and another, then Riviera Police car, then the fire engines, the ambulance, but the beach was quiet, there was a big picnic on the west side, but there was no commotion there, and it was quiet, the fishing pier was quiet, and there was not anything going on anywhere in the parking lot that I could see. A sheriff stops and asks me "did you see or hear anything", I replied no. Then the helicopter arrived, after circling the island a couple times it goes into a hover over the water of the northeast corner of the island. Weird because no one really hangs out over in that area, so I'm thinking maybe on a boat? In the meantime, I am trying to clean my gear and change as fast as I can before they decide it might be a good idea to block the entrance in and out. Thankfully that did not happen, so I left.

Went to the bridge everyday this week, but I did not feel like fighting the platform just to make my normal posts. Once the migration to the new server is complete I will continue as before.

I read that the victim was on a dingy and shot by someone from a boat.

A group of us plan to come down for night dives Oct 13 and 14. We are getting some conflicting information about the current vs new rules. Supposedly, we can dive Friday the 13th because of a grandfather clause, but on the 14th we have to hire a guide because of "new rules". Anyone understand any of this? Has the county changed how this works? We have always just gone down and signed up with either Pura Vida or Force E.
Feedback is greatly appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom