Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're welcome. Thanks for adding the link to the law.

My thoughts after watching Sharks of the Dead Zone are:
  • Algae blooms and fish death are a real concern
  • They brought up poor water quality from run off and sewage
  • Their entry point for the bridge dive was unconventional, maybe they were trying to avoid capturing the public in the video
  • These people do not know how to dive, they left a trail of silt behind them
  • They supposedly had a bull shark ping near the bridge, though they previously said they were placing the monitors at the inlets
  • It was cool to see things I recognize on a TV show
  • They saw several typical BHB dive critters which accurately depicted diving the site
  • Where they lost me, while they were in 5ft of water, they suddenly point out a large bull shark. When the camera cuts to the shark, it's definitely not in 5ft of water. The scenario was laughable in that they had to fake a bull shark encounter. With that said, I am very confident that bull sharks and other sharks, frequent the area more often than we realize, this just wasn't one of them
  • In the open water dives, diving with Emerald, they had all these sharks surrounding them. They tried to make the scene seem natural, but if you look for the clues, you can see they were baiting or chumming the sharks in.

I hate those Discovery shows. But I did watch the part showing BHB though to see what you were talking about. The bull they showed sure seemed (to me) to be in shallow water. That boat the shark swam under was only in about 5 feet. But I agree that there is a lot of creative editing done to make things seem more dynamic/dramatic than they would be in reality

So technically if you are within 100' of a flag you are OK? On a busy day at the bridge there arelots of flags. Sometimes it's hard to NOT be near a flag.🙂

I'm sure most are aware that each year the Discovery channel sponsors a week dedicated to sharks. This year, a dive @ Blue Heron Bridge made its way into a show. If you haven't seen it yet, check out Sharks of the Dead Zone https://go.discovery.com/show/sharks-of-the-dead-zone-discovery-atve-us
Dang it, I don't have Discovery Channel... locked
So technically if you are within 100' of a flag you are OK? On a busy day at the bridge there arelots of flags. Sometimes it's hard to NOT be near a flag.🙂
I would never suggest graffiti or any kind of vandalism.. However.... :D
wouldn't it be cool if dive flags were painted on the pilings then nobody would need to drag a flag there....

My thoughts after watching Sharks of the Dead Zone are:
  • Algae blooms and fish death are a real concern
  • They brought up poor water quality from run off and sewage
  • Their entry point for the bridge dive was unconventional, maybe they were trying to avoid capturing the public in the video
  • These people do not know how to dive, they left a trail of silt behind them
  • They supposedly had a bull shark ping near the bridge, though they previously said they were placing the monitors at the inlets
  • It was cool to see things I recognize on a TV show
  • They saw several typical BHB dive critters which accurately depicted diving the site
  • Where they lost me, while they were in 5ft of water, they suddenly point out a large bull shark. When the camera cuts to the shark, it's definitely not in 5ft of water. The scenario was laughable in that they had to fake a bull shark encounter. With that said, I am very confident that bull sharks and other sharks, frequent the area more often than we realize, this just wasn't one of them
  • In the open water dives, diving with Emerald, they had all these sharks surrounding them. They tried to make the scene seem natural, but if you look for the clues, you can see they were baiting or chumming the sharks in.

I tape them all but can only watch maybe half of the shark week episodes. Anymore, most are too stupid to slog through. Sensationalistic drivel focused on ratings and not science education. I did watch the Sharks of the Dead Zone. Forced myself to watch the whole thing. Definitely not a top-quality episode. I agree that blue green algae blooms and water quality are huge issues in Florida. This episode unfortunately worked too hard to prove a hypothesis that they just couldn't prove. There are far better documentaries on the poor state of water quality in our state and efforts underway to fight for improvements.

I tape them all but can only watch maybe half of the shark week episodes. Anymore, most are too stupid to slog through. Sensationalistic drivel focused on ratings and not science education. I did watch the Sharks of the Dead Zone. Forced myself to watch the whole thing. Definitely not a top-quality episode. I agree that blue green algae blooms and water quality are huge issues in Florida. This episode unfortunately worked too hard to prove a hypothesis that they just couldn't prove. There are far better documentaries on the poor state of water quality in our state and efforts underway to fight for improvements.
You hit the nail on the head. When it ended, I felt like I was longing for a conclusion or being able to walk away with anything of value learned.

I don’t want to veer too far off topic, but I definitely feel like shark week is not for anyone that actually cares about sharks or the underwater environment. I feel bad for the scientists they convince to participate in these shows.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom