Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i dove the bridge today even though the park was slammed. I'm staying walking distance away so i just parked my car there early and continued my day until it was time to dive, very convenient.

one thing that was unusual, there were some freedivers with spearguns at the toilet area - didn't seem too safe to hang around so i reluctantly swam against the current back south after encountering them, grumble. (was planning to hang around that area until the current switched)

overall good viz today and a nice dive.
Spearfishing is illegal at the Blue Heron Bridge, please contact Florida Fish and Wildlife or the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Department if you see anyone with a spear or speargun!

Frogfishes and Seahorses are at the very top of our favorite fishes. Do you know what time of year could be potentially better for this?

Could be hard to spot, you may do well to get a guide if only there for a day or two, I’m told scuba Jenny, an avid member here, has offered her services from time to time and she definitely knows the bridge well

Although if we get lucky to see a manatee like in the video it trumps anything else... Are there better places in Florida to spot these majestic mammals?

Like johnoly said :). The manatee center next to the power plant (where the warmer waters come out) is a good spot.

These are definitely a rare sight here but quite spectacular when you get to see them. It’s so shallow that often you’ll just see a big cloud of kicked up sand with a dark shape and then … poof. There it is.

Spearfishing is illegal at the Blue Heron Bridge, please contact Florida Fish and Wildlife or the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Department if you see anyone with a spear or speargun!
does the location i mentioned (submerged toilet near third dock north of the east span) count as being inside the area where spears aren't allowed?

does the location i mentioned (submerged toilet near third dock north of the east span) count as being inside the area where spears aren't allowed?

I've never seen anyone with a speargun anywhere near BHB. If I saw one, I would probably call the authorities (or flag them down) and let them figure it out. Forget about the conservation aspect. This area is so high traffic with swimmers, snorkelers, divers, and boaters that spearfishing in and around all of this activity is a really bad idea.

north of the east span of the bridge, there's a spot underwater where there's a sunken toilet.
it's about as far north as this place:

in the water at the end of a dock just to the west.
there were several people freediving and carrying spearguns, i watched a shot attempted and missed. not sure if that spot is inside the no take zone, maybe it's just outside?
Spearfishing isn't allowed regardless of the no-take rules.

You may NOT spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging) as described below:
  • Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.

No-take rules:

County website:
COLLECTION AND POSSESSION OF TROPICAL FISH AND AQUARIUM SPECIES
While sport fishing is permitted within park property in accordance with Florida law, it is prohibited to harvest or possess any tropical fish or any tropical ornamental marine plant within Phil Foster Park and all waters lying within the boundary as listed in Rule 68B-42, F.A.C.
Snorkelers and divers are welcome to enjoy the park's exceptional and extraordinary resource and help preserve tropical fish and marine life for others to enjoy. Use of knives or spear guns to capture fish in County park waters is not permitted.

68B-42 68B-42 : MARINE LIFE - Florida Administrative Rules, Law, Code, Register - FAC, FAR, eRulemaking states:
(18) “Tropical fish” means any species included in subsection (2) of Rule 68B-42.001, F.A.C., or any part thereof.
(19) “Tropical ornamental marine life species” means any species included in subsection (2) or (3) of Rule 68B-42.001, F.A.C., or any part thereof.

A list of species can be found in 68B-42.001 here:

An example of something which may be allowed is lobstering. I wouldn't be surprised to see hunters at the bridge during mini-season catching lobsters and it be legal.

68B-42.001 Subsections 2 & 3

(2) The following fish species, as they occur in waters of the state and in federal Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) waters adjacent to state waters, are hereby designated as restricted species pursuant to Section 379.101(32), F.S.:
(a) Moray eels – Any species of the Family Muraenidae.​
(b) Snake eels – Any species of the Genera Myrichthys and Myrophis of the Family Ophichthidae.​
(c) Toadfish – Any species of the Family Batrachoididae.​
(d) Frogfish – Any species of the Family Antennariidae.​
(e) Batfish – Any species of the Family Ogcocephalidae.​
(f) Clingfish – Any species of the Family Gobiesocidae.​
(g) Trumpetfish – Any species of the Family Aulostomidae.​
(h) Cornetfish – Any species of the Family Fistulariidae.​
(i) Pipefish/seahorses – Any species of the Family Syngnathidae.​
(j) Hamlet/seabass – Any species of the Family Serranidae, except groupers of the genera Epinephalus and Mycteroperca, seabass of the genus Centropristis, and longtail bass, Hemanthias leptus, sand perch, Diplectrum formosum, and dwarf sand perch, Diplectrum bivittatum.​
(k) Basslets – Any species of the Family Grammatidae.​
(l) Cardinalfish – Any species of the Family Apogonidae.​
(m) Porkfish – Anisotremus virginicus.​
(n) High-hat, Jackknife-fish, Spotted drum, Cubbyu – Any species of the genus Equetus of the Family Sciaenidae.​
(o) Reef Croakers – Any of the species Odontoscion dentex.​
(p) Sweepers – Any species of the Family Pempheridae.​
(q) Butterflyfish – Any species of the Family Chaetodontidae.​
(r) Angelfish – Any species of the Family Pomacanthidae.​
(s) Damselfish – Any species of the Family Pomacentridae.​
(t) Hawkfish – Any species of the Family Cirrhitidae.​
(u) Wrasse/hogfish/razorfish – Any species of the Family Labridae, except hogfish, Lachnolaimus maximus.​
(v) Parrotfish – Any species of the Family Scaridae.​
(w) Jawfish – Any species of the Family Opistognathidae.​
(x) Blennies – Any species of the Families Clinidae or Blenniidae.​
(y) Sleepers – Any species of the Family Eleotridae.​
(z) Gobies – Any species of the Family Gobiidae.​
(aa) Tangs and surgeonfish – Any species of the Family Acanthuridae.​
(bb) Filefish/triggerfish – Any species of the Family Balistidae, except gray triggerfish, Balistes capriscus, ocean triggerfish, Canthidermis sufflamen, and unicorn filefish, Aluterus monoceros.​
(cc) Trunkfish/cowfish – Any species of the Family Ostraciidae.​
(dd) Pufferfish/burrfish/balloonfish/porcupinefish – Any of the following species:​
1. Balloonfish – Diodon holocanthus.​
2. Sharpnose puffer – Canthigaster rostrata.​
3. Striped burrfish – Chilomycterus schoepfi.
4. Porcupinefish – Diodon hystrix.
5. Spotted burrfish – Chilomycterus atringa.
(ee) Black brotula – Stygnobrotula latebricola.
(ff) Key brotula – Ogilbia cayorum.
(gg) Blackbar soldierfish – Myripristis jacobus.​
(hh) Yellow stingray – Urobatis jamaicensis.

(3) The following invertebrate species, as they occur in waters of the state and in federal Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) waters adjacent to state waters, are hereby designated as restricted species pursuant to Section 379.101(32), F.S.:
(a) Sponges – Any species of the Class Demospongiae, except sheepswool, yellow, grass, glove, finger, wire, reef, and velvet sponges, Order Dictyoceratida.​
(b) Upside-down jellyfish – Any species of the Genus Cassiopea.​
(c) Siphonophores/hydroids – Any species of the Class Hydrozoa, except fire corals, Family Milleporidae.​
(d) Soft corals – Any species of the Subclass Octocorallia, except sea fans Gorgonia flabellum and Gorgonia ventalina.​
(e) Sea anemones – Any species of the Orders Actiniaria, Zoanthidea, Corallimorpharia, and Ceriantharia.​
(f) Featherduster worms/calcareous tubeworms – Any species of the Families Sabellidae and Serpulidae.​
(g) Starsnails – Any of the species Lithopoma americanum, Lithopoma tectum, or Astralium phoebium.​
(h) Nudibranchs/sea slugs – Any species of the Subclass Opisthobranchia.​
(i) Fileclams – Any species of the Genus Lima.​
(j) Octopods – Any species of the Order Octopoda, except the common octopus, Octopodus vulgaris.​
(k) Shrimp – Any of the following species:​
1. Cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp – Any species of the Genera Ancylomenes or Lysmata.​
2. Coral shrimp – Any species of the Genus Stenopus.​
3. Snapping shrimp – Any species of the Family Alpheidae.​
(l) Crabs – Any of the following species:​
1. Yellowline arrow crab – Stenorhynchus seticornis.​
2. Furcate spider or decorator crab – Stenocionops furcatus.​
3. Blue-legged or tricolor hermit crab – Clibanarius tricolor.​
4. Thinstripe hermit crab – Clibanarius vittatus.​
5. Polkadotted hermit crab – Phimochirus operculatus.​
6. Spotted porcelain crab – Porcellana sayana.​
7. Nimble spray or urchin crab – Percnon gibbesi.
8. False arrow crab – Metoporhaphis calcarata.
(m) Starfish – Any species of the Class Asteroidea, except the Bahama starfish, Oreaster reticulatus.​
(n) Brittlestars – Any species of the Class Ophiuroidea.​
(o) Sea urchins – Any species of the Class Echinoidea, except longspine urchin, Diadema antillarum, and sand dollars and sea biscuits, Order Clypeasteroida.​
(p) Sea cucumbers – Any species of the Class Holothuroidea.​
(q) Sea lilies – Any species of the Class Crinoidea.​
(r) Red mithrax crab – Mithraculus ruber.
(s) Red-ridged clinging crab – Mithraculus forceps.
(t) Green clinging or emerald crab – Mithraculus sculptus.
(u) Hermit Crabs – Any species of the families Diogenidae (left-handed hermit crabs) or Paguridae (right-handed hermit crabs) or Parapaguridae (deepwater hermit crabs) or Pylochelidae (symmetrical hermit crabs).​
(v) Nassarius snails – Any species of the genus Nassarius.

Wow, good list. Thanks so much for posting that. Much appreciation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom