Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@NitroxSam nice find with that ray! It was cool being neighbors for a couple days, sorry we didn’t get to chat more.

We dove under the west bridge today. The current was quite brisk. I’m not sure if you need to wait until absolute high tide, or if it just always has current. Visibility was somewhere between 10-15 feet. It was drizzling lightly when we entered and the sun didn’t come out until after the dive. Notable finds today were a itty bitty spotted moray with a banded coral shrimp, and another white nose pipehorse (I incorrectly called it a pipe fish in my last post)

IMG_0273.jpeg
IMG_0270.jpeg

We have one more dive tomorrow before heading home. I’ll share my final edited video once I get it done and uploaded

@NitroxSam nice find with that ray! It was cool being neighbors for a couple days, sorry we didn’t get to chat more.

<snip> and another white nose pipehorse (I incorrectly called it a pipe fish in my last post)

View attachment 847551

We have one more dive tomorrow before heading home. I’ll share my final edited video once I get it done and uploaded
You were correct, it is a pipefish, not a pipehorse.

We dove under the west bridge today. The current was quite brisk. I’m not sure if you need to wait until absolute high tide, or if it just always has current. Visibility was somewhere between 10-15 feet. It was drizzling lightly when we entered and the sun didn’t come out until after the dive. Notable finds today were a itty bitty spotted moray with a banded coral shrimp, and another white nose pipehorse (I incorrectly called it a pipe fish in my last post)

View attachment 847551View attachment 847552

Thanks. Yes, good meeting you as well. That was the first time I've ever seen that type of ray. I thought it was a flounder at first...lol. Anyway have a great dive tomorrow. Maybe you will be blessed with some better viz. Safe travels home.

Our last day of diving was the best yet. I’d say 20-ish feet of visibility and clear sunny skies.

Lots of neat stuff under the west bridge, but by far the highlight was bumping in to a manatee heading back east in front of the bridge heading back to the sharks on the snorkel trail.

Here is a screen grab from the video clip
IMG_0345.jpeg

Our last day of diving was the best yet. I’d say 20-ish feet of visibility and clear sunny skies.

Lots of neat stuff under the west bridge, but by far the highlight was bumping in to a manatee heading back east in front of the bridge heading back to the sharks on the snorkel trail.

Here is a screen grab from the video clip
View attachment 847685
Can you please ask that manatee if she'll be there on the 4th -- that way my wife will join me and go absolutely bananas.

I once saw one with a buoy tied to it's tail by the west bridge. As I approached to try and 'free it' there was yelling from the surface. It seems we 'tag' some of them in order to monitor their behavior ...

Best not to give them any suggestions to change their behavior on the 4th .. haha.

Can you please ask that manatee if she'll be there on the 4th -- that way my wife will join me and go absolutely bananas.
If you don't find one there, duck around the corner to Manatee Lagoon - Home - Manatee Lagoon

Butterfly Ray...I think.

@NitroxSam, that is an exceptional observation. According to the REEF database, Smooth Butterfly Ray has only been reported 14 times out of 194,000 surveys in the Tropical Western Atlantic. So, that is 1 in every 14,000 surveys submitted. I have seen them twice at BHB in approximately 1550 hours of bottom time there. Always on the look out for them.

LF are now appearing in the Mediterranean in bigger numbers. They are passing through the Suez canal in larger numbers since the canal was dredged and made deeper and easier for fish to pass through in 2015.

@BoltSnap that is interesting, I wonder what other species are making that trek as well? Or if other species from the Med make it in the opposite direction?

@mattfish, the Whitenose Pipefish is a great observation. According to the REEF database recorded in Florida 52 times out of 51,000 surveys.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1000 for a 1225 high tide. Park was not crowded when I arrived. Went and snorkeled the trail prior to diving, to do a REEF survey. By the time I was finished snorkeling the park was filling up. Blue water has returned, visibility was about 40ft, and sea temp was 84f. However, a layer of fresh brownish water could seen on top west of the west lifeguard stand.

I entered the water to snorkel close to the staircase on the east side. Less than a minute into it a Nurse Shark went cruising by. I have been seeing a couple Nurse Sharks cruising around the last few times I have been at the bridge. Don't know if it is the same shark(s) are not. As the Nurse Shark cruised by it, almost collided with a small Green Sea Turtle. The sea turtle started eating sea grass right below me. It was unconcerned with my presence, perhaps because I was on snorkel and not on scuba. I did six minutes of video on it. Eat a little bit, go to the surface breathe, go back down and eat some more. A mother and son snorkeling team came up next to me, and I thought "there goes the turtle", but it remained unperturbed. In the meantime other snorkelers are passing just right or left of us heading to the snorkel trail, and missing it. Moved on from the sea turtle and completed the snorkel trail, exited west, donned scuba, and entered west on scuba.

Did about a two hour dive. Hitting the west end of the snorkel trail drifting, west and then north. Did another REEF survey on scuba. Did not find anything as interesting as Whitenose Pipefish, or Smooth Butterfly Ray. I was a little surprised at how hard the current was moving close to when slack tide was supposed to be, but that's okay its the stronger currents that bring the blue water, and pushes the brown green fresh water back. Got some good images of Tiger Gobies, Cottonwicks, and Twospot Cardinalfish. However, I think the Green Sea Turtle being so cooperative deserves full attention.

06-26-24 Green Turtle.JPEG
06-26-24 Green Turtle1.JPEG
06-26-24 Green Turtle2.JPEG
06-26-24 Green Turtle3.JPEG
06-26-24 Green Turtle4.JPEG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom