Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was sort of what I was guessing. I get a little frustrated trying to establish buoyancy control in shallow water precisely because it is so critical, with so little room for error. I just bought a new to me BP/W as well as a different BCD with most of its flotation at the rear, so I’m going to need to get in some water time to get more comfortable with whichever I end up using.
I love seeing the mountains from my picture window, but it sure interferes with my dive time! 🤨
Your friend the Frog 🐸

Yes, they finished the work early. IIRC, mid to late August they opened the part of the bridge near the East lifeguard stand and the last time I was there (2 weeks ago) it was all open.

\o/
Thank you sir :)

@MrChen, the only term I can think of for those pictures is awe inspiring! 😁One of the great advantages of close up/macro photography is the way every color seems to just jump out at the viewer. Every tiny little feature grabs you. I’m just blown away.
I’ve been corresponding with @Scuba_Jenny and am hoping to visit you guys in the Spring… I just hope I can make it work. BHB has now become #1 on my bucket list. I hope we’ll get to dive together then.
something I wanted to ask y‘all about… what do most of you like there for buoyancy control? Are most of you going with a BP/W or do you prefer a BCD with most of the flotation located in the back? I’m assuming the way you’re getting those pix you must set yourselves for horizontal orientation.
Best regards,
Green Frog 🐸
BPW all the way.

Thank you for the compliments!

@Green Frog.. I use the same set up in the ocean as I do off the shallow beach dive of BHB. I think everybody else does the same.. BHB is super shallow, so having your buoyancy dialed in in key. That photo I took of @MrChen and @SubNeo is only about 4ft deep!
Like Jenny says. It's actually HARDER to dive at BHB than out in the ocean. The shallow waters will amplify any weighting issues you have. She took that picture of me probably within 30 seconds of me ducking underwater. I can tell because I hadn't secured my tickle stick yet, my camera lanyard isn't secured, and my camera strobe is still tucked in. I'm probably turning everything on. Regardless, you can see that I'm already trimmed out and ready to dive.

hahaha More like considering the photographer :)
that my friend.. is a compliment.. Will take it! :wink:
Like Jenny says. It's actually HARDER to dive at BHB than out in the ocean. The shallow waters will amplify any weighting issues you have. She took that picture of me probably within 30 seconds of me ducking underwater. I can tell because I hadn't secured my tickle stick yet, my camera lanyard isn't secured, and my camera strobe is still tucked in. I'm probably turning everything on. Regardless, you can see that I'm already trimmed out and ready to dive.
Yeah, it was right after we dropped down. I was down just a few seconds before ya'll. I turned the camera on hoping to get a fins in sand shot and you and Micheal already dropped in!

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 1130 for a 1226 high tide. The park was about as empty as it gets. I know ahead time visibility would be close to zero, but I decided to go anyway. Zero visibility was confirmed by scanning from the seawall, and confirmed upon entry on scuba. I would of stayed and dealt with the visibility, except, the sea temp had dropped 5 degrees overnight to 76f. Did a REEF survey of 5 species in 15 minutes. Funny thing is one of the species was a Banded Blenny a hard to find fish. No pictures from yesterday, the following are from 2019 with the D300. Respectively, Long Snout Seahorse, Lionfish, Lionfish, Frogfish, and Closeup Mantis
NH01BHB-23.jpg
NH02BHB-111.jpg
NH04BHB-52.jpg
NH04BHB-80.jpg
NH05BHB-44.jpg

.. Zero visibility was confirmed by scanning from the seawall, and confirmed upon entry on scuba.
Thank you for the viz report !! It really helps us ocean divers because what you see at the bridge is coming from the ocean. Makes an Go / NoGo choice easier to make.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom