Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, same Family , but different genus and species. Much more common , but still very fun to encounter and photograph. Has anyone been brave enough to try a little fugu? 😋 😳 😵
🐸
Baloonfish are very common off Florida. I've seen up to 7 hiding in one soft coral.

Just FYI, these images (and the accompanying descriptions) were my source, from Paul Humann’s Reef Fish Identification, Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas (2nd Ed). Note greater number of lines in Striped Burrfish vs more open pattern on its Webbed cousin.
🐸

Attachments

• 7E9906F4-A934-4135-9243-01F9635AE946.jpeg
    7E9906F4-A934-4135-9243-01F9635AE946.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 47
Just FYI, these images (and the accompanying descriptions) were my source, from Paul Humann’s Reef Fish Identification, Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas (2nd Ed). Note greater number of lines in Striped Burrfish vs more open pattern on its Webbed cousin.
🐸
I have the book, 2nd edition. They state that "reticulated pattern on back and sides" defines WB, but I am always kinda sceptic when color is the only thing that separates different species. Think of domestic cat or even Homo sapiens.

The REEF database can be accessed to produce several different types of reports. The following link is to a short YouTube video produced recently by REEF for accessing a geographic area report. Geographic Area Report

Using the geographic area reports, distribution reports, and access to my data on REEF produced some distribution information for Striped and Web Burrfish. Full disclosure, BHB has approximately 2650 surveys submitted. Approximately 2150 expert surveys, and 500 novice surveys. 1450 expert surveys for BHB have been submitted by me.

This means the expert survey numbers are skewed heavily in favor of my observations. For example, the Striped Burrfish occurs in 8.8% of all expert surveys at BHB. But in my surveys the Striped Burrfish occurs 5.6% of the time. Using a weighted average, that means all the other expert surveyors observe Striped Burrfish 15% of the time. A possible explanation for the disparity is that I dive the west side 90% of the time. I know a spot on the eastside where I can usually find Striped Burrfish at a far greater rate than 5.6%, but I am hardly ever over there.

So some of the other numbers. If we check the whole tropical western Atlantic Ocean for observations of Web Burrfish, they occur only .6% of the time, once in every 160 surveys submitted, for a total of 1140 times out 190,000 surveys. The Striped Burrfish occurs in even less frequently, .35% of the time, once in every 285 times, for a total of 660 times out 190,000 surveys.

The Striped Burrfish occurs 1.0% of the time in Florida observations, and 1.0% of time in Gulf of Mexico observations. It is extraordinarily rare in the in Caribbean occurring at little as .02% of the time. This is confirmed in a search of inaturalist. The map function in inaturalist shows where 2396 observations of Striped Burrfish are recorded. Map Of Striped Burrfish Observations . Many of the observations are well north of Florida extending all the way to Massachusetts. Clearly a tropical to temperate water fish.

Although the Web Burrfish occurs in total more than the Striped Burrfish, the Web Burrfish only occurs .1% in Florida, and .45% of the time at BHB. It occurs most frequently in the Lesser Antilles 2.3% of the time and in the ABC islands (Bonaire) 1.2% of the time, and is mostly absent in the rest of the tropical western Atlantic. Again this can be confirmed in a search of Web Burrfish in inaturalist. There are 81 observations the maps shows most of the observations in the Lesser Antilles and around Bonaire, and only a few to the north in Florida. Map of Web Burrfish Observations Clearly a tropical water fish only. Interesting, is the disparity in observations recorded in inaturalist vs. REEF for the two species.. My observation of the Web Burrfish at BHB is .22% of time.

Either way, BHB is a hot spot for these two species, as it for some many other species, like the Lined Seahorse. As far as above I have to go with the Striped Burrfish identification for the image poster by @tarponchik. Below are pictures of a Striped Burrfish (top) taken at BHB and Web Burrfish (bottom) taken at LBTS in September.
09-04-23 Striped Burrfish.jpg
09-09-23 Web Burrfish.jpg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Been nine days since I went diving, had stuff to do around the house, and I am getting a little burnt out. I am at 383 REEF surveys for the year. My personal best is 431 surveys. Extrapolation says I should be able to reach 459. Arrived at 0950 for a 1051 high tide, the park was not crowded. Entered the water on the west side at 1010. Visibility was 40ft, and sea temp was 79f. Moon Jellyfish were in abundance so much so, that just swimming through the water I could feel irritations on my face and neck. Throughout the the length of the 135 minute dive. Observed a Plumed Scorpionfish, and one Lined Seahorse. Did a REEF fish survey of 67 species in 65 minutes. When life gives me Moon Jellyfish, I take lots of Moon Jellyfish images. Respectively, Moon Jellyfish, Shortfin Pipefish, Spadefish, Striped Burrfish, and Woody. Next page for more Moon Jellyfish Images.
10-31-23 Moon Jelly5.jpeg.jpg
10-31-23 Shortfin Pipefish.jpeg.jpg
10-31-23 Spadefish.jpeg.jpg
10-31-23 Striped Burrfish.jpeg.jpg
10-31-23 Woody.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving. Arrived at 1010 for an 1138 high tide. Snorkeled the trail before diving and did a REEF survey of 48 species in 50 minutes. Ran into @Scuba_Jenny in the parking lot (above water), once at the beginning of my dive, and once at the end of my dive. When I arrived at the park there was almost no wind and water conditions looked good. By the time my dive was over, wind was blowing 20 knots out of the north, and the water was chopped up pretty good. Visibility during the dive was max 15ft, with it degrading rapidly due to wind conditions, less than the out going tide. Sea temp was 81f. Of note today, was a Leopard Searobin, Plumed Scorpionfish (same as yesterday), Lined Seahorse (different from yesterday), tiny juvenile Lionfish, juvenile Lionfish, and the Flying Gurnards @Scuba_Jenny was photographing at the end of the dive. Did a REEF fish survey of 65 species in 65 minutes. I am pretty certain the visibility will be down to zero tomorrow but you never know. My new method for checking visibility prior to going to the bridge is the the underwater cam for Manatee Lagoon, this doesn't help much for an early morning dive, but later in the day its works pretty well. Respectively, Plumed Scorpionfish, Cottonwick, Lionfish, Juvenile Lionfish, and Tiger Goby

11-01-23 Plumed Scorpion.jpg

11-01-23 Cottonwick.jpg
11-01-23 Lionfish - Copy.jpg
11-01-23 Lionfish1.jpg
11-01-23 Tiger Goby2.jpg

When repairs to the bridge started earlier this year it was projected to be completed in October. I went back through posts as far as Sept 25 but didn’t see any indications that the repairs are done. Can you enter the water directly from the parking lot (day time 😎) or do you still have to walk over the bridge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom