Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When repairs to the bridge started earlier this year it was projected to be completed in October. I went back through posts as far as Sept 25 but didn’t see any indications that the repairs are done. Can you enter the water directly from the parking lot (day time 😎) or do you still have to walk over the bridge?

Yes, they finished the work early. IIRC, mid to late August they opened the part of the bridge near the East lifeguard stand and the last time I was there (2 weeks ago) it was all open.

\o/

I had the pleasure of diving last Sunday with @Scuba_Jenny and @SubNeo. We dove the west side. Visibility was great, at least 25ft. Water temp was 81-82 degrees. Let's see if I can get some pictures to stay up.

Seahorse
1698929412138.png

Felimida clenchi 1
1698929467433.png

Felimida clenchi 2
1698929486867.png

Eubranchus conicla - This guy was really small, maybe half the size of a grain of rice
1698929576015.png

Favorinus auritulus
1698929623916.png

Pipefish
1698929680493.png

Juvenile trunkfish
1698929702161.png

Molly Miller
1698929747473.png

Thrush Cowrie - This one caught the attention of Anne DuPont. She explained that this is a non-indigenous mollusk (Naria turdus), and it's the second sighting of this cowrie at the bridge. She requested additional photos and information. She emailed the details to some scientists who are doing a study (one with FAU.edu email address and the other with a shellmuseum.org email address).
1698930024657.png

Bumblebee shrimp on a white sea urchin
1698930054849.png

Went to the bridge for diving. Arrived at 1010 for an 1138 high tide. Snorkeled the trail before diving and did a REEF survey of 48 species in 50 minutes. Ran into @Scuba_Jenny in the parking lot (above water), once at the beginning of my dive, and once at the end of my dive. When I arrived at the park there was almost no wind and water conditions looked good. By the time my dive was over, wind was blowing 20 knots out of the north, and the water was chopped up pretty good. Visibility during the dive was max 15ft, with it degrading rapidly due to wind conditions, less than the out going tide. Sea temp was 81f. Of note today, was a Leopard Searobin, Plumed Scorpionfish (same as yesterday), Lined Seahorse (different from yesterday), tiny juvenile Lionfish, juvenile Lionfish, and the Flying Gurnards @Scuba_Jenny was photographing at the end of the dive. Did a REEF fish survey of 65 species in 65 minutes. I am pretty certain the visibility will be down to zero tomorrow but you never know. My new method for checking visibility prior to going to the bridge is the the underwater cam for Manatee Lagoon, this doesn't help much for an early morning dive, but later in the day its works pretty well. Respectively, Plumed Scorpionfish, Cottonwick, Lionfish, Juvenile Lionfish, and Tiger Goby

View attachment 808736

View attachment 808732View attachment 808733View attachment 808734View attachment 808735
Hopefully that first time underwater I ran into you, I didn't mess up your fish counts.. Was moving forward and had to make the quick decision of stopping, and mucking up the area or continue forward. I chose later..
Those two gunards were really fun to watch. I shot them for a few minutes, then just watched. And watched...
I'll get some photos up eventually..

@MrChen, the only term I can think of for those pictures is awe inspiring! 😁One of the great advantages of close up/macro photography is the way every color seems to just jump out at the viewer. Every tiny little feature grabs you. I’m just blown away.
I’ve been corresponding with @Scuba_Jenny and am hoping to visit you guys in the Spring… I just hope I can make it work. BHB has now become #1 on my bucket list. I hope we’ll get to dive together then.
something I wanted to ask y‘all about… what do most of you like there for buoyancy control? Are most of you going with a BP/W or do you prefer a BCD with most of the flotation located in the back? I’m assuming the way you’re getting those pix you must set yourselves for horizontal orientation.
Best regards,
Green Frog 🐸

@Green Frog.. I use the same set up in the ocean as I do off the shallow beach dive of BHB. I think everybody else does the same.. BHB is super shallow, so having your buoyancy dialed in in key. That photo I took of @MrChen and @SubNeo is only about 4ft deep!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom