Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found the Seminole gobys more towards the west, out in the grassy area. Or what used to be grassy.. haven't been there in a while, so I don't know right now if grassy or not! lol

Diving a little south of the bridge today, the surface water was warm like bath water. At first I was glad that I had not brought a wet suit. Then, I saw how many jelly fish there were. Moons were everywhere. I was able to see more than 10 at a single time. The size varied from over a foot in diameter to under 3 inches. I seldom see pink moons that small, but today there was a lot of them. There were some small clear jelly fish around too. I picked up 3 minor stings pretty quickly, then got out of the water for the day. Fortunately, the moons have a weak venom & I just got glancing contacts. With no treatment other than a fresh water rinse, I was back to no discomfort in a few hours.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0725 for 0700 tide. There were very few people in the park, saw one flag in the water. Entered the west side at 0745. Sea temp was 86, visibility was 25ft. Did a REEF fish survey of 65 species in 65 minutes. Moved on to the snorkel trail as the visibility started to drop with the outgoing tide. Nothing out of the ordinary observed. Respectively, Chocolate Chip Sea Cucumber, Spotted Cowry, Lined Seahorse, Lined Seahorse, and Seaweed Blenny.

08-29-23 Chocolatechip Sea Cucumber.jpg
08-29-23 Cowry.jpg
08-29-23 Lined Seahorse.jpg
08-29-23 Lined Seahorse1.jpg
08-29-23 Seaweed Blenny.jpg

Thanks for the update. I'm planning to dive tomorrow night. My camera is ready! I decided to swap out my 105mm for my 60mm, just to mix it up.

Thanks for the update. I'm planning to dive tomorrow night. My camera is ready! I decided to swap out my 105mm for my 60mm, just to mix it up.

I think Force-E canceled the 8/30 night dive due to the planned strong SW winds from Idalia. Check before you head south.

Was thinking of hitting the bridge tomorrow morning. After the rain squall passed through, I have reconsidered.. and best to keep the gear dry for now. Ugh.. been over a week since I've last dived...

Was thinking of hitting the bridge tomorrow morning. After the rain squall passed through, I have reconsidered.. and best to keep the gear dry for now. Ugh.. been over a week since I've last dived...
It's the same for me. I have everything ready too. I put 2 hours into prepping my camera and now I might not even go. /frustrating...

Went to the bridge for diving. Arrived at 0750 for an 0800 high tide. Park was not crowded. There were only a few more divers than yesterday. It was a bit breezy, and the water was a little chopped up, but not anything you wouldn't see from a regular rain squall moving through. Entered the east side at 0820, and eventually work my way to the snorkel trail with the help of the current. Visibility was 30ft and sea temp was 83f. Was looking for the Orangeback Bass I found a few days ago, but didn't see it. Did a REEF fish count of 57 species in 60 minutes. There are lot Silver Porgies ad Spottail Pinfish at the bridge. Supposedly the black spot on the caudal peduncle on the Silver Porgies is small and does not cover the whole peduncle. The spot on the Spottail Pinfish supposedly covers the whole peduncle. The only 100% reliable way to tell them apart is to count the number scales along the lateral line. The Silver Porgy having 62-65 scales along the lateral line, and the Spottail Pinfish having 56 scales along the lateral line. I generally just mark Silver Porgy on the REEF surveys for consistency, however both species are probably present. Respectively, Spottail Pinfish, Silver Porgy, Barred Cardinal, Graysby, and Leopard Searobin.

08-30-23 Spottail Pinfish1.jpg
08-30-23 silver porgy.jpeg
08-30-23 Barred Cardinal - Copy.jpg
08-30-23 Graysby - Copy.jpg
08-30-23 Leopard Searobin - Copy.jpg

I can never come close to keeping up with you on the reef fish IDs, but I usually do a little better on the dinner fish. While this fish generally looks like a graysby, I would not have been positive about that because I don't see the 3 black dots on it's back. Do those dots appear as the fish gets bigger? Are they there, but I am just not noticing them? Does that species sometimes not have them? Do I ask too many silly questions?

Edit:

When I went to google up additional pictures, I came across this - Man sets state record with Graysby Grouper catch I can't see the dots on that one either, but maybe it's just the angle. Reading that this guy set a NC state record with a 2 pound 3 oz fish got me looking up the FL record. It's just over 3 pounds. I think that I may have caught some larger than that & just not known that they were trophy worthy. I guess that they run a little bigger down here.

Below are a few of the typical ones I would bring in. The one on the left shows the 3 dots, just barely because of the angle. The other two have a can of soda for a size reference, but you can't see the dots because of the angle.

This shows the 3 dots clearly - Ein grauer Fisch hält in der Schüssel eines großen Fassschwamms auf...

Attachments

• OneGraysby.jpg
    OneGraysby.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 36
  • TwoGraysby.jpg
    TwoGraysby.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 33
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom