Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 1115 for a 1218 high tide. Considering a high tide after midday, the park was not about 65% full I haven't seen it less than 90% full at that time of day for at least three months. The fence blocking the beach has been moved over one more stanchion, only directly south of the playground and west of the playground is still blocked off. Slow progress in the right direction, I guess. Entered the west side and stayed there for the duration of the dive. Visibility was a murky 15ft, and sea temp was 85f. Did a REEF fish survey of 68 species in 65 minutes. Observed a Sawcheek Cardinalfish, very uncommon according to the REEF data base. Observed a Flying Gurnard with a Yellow Jack shadow hunter buddy. Respectively, Flying Gurnard, Hitchiker Anemone, Pearly Razor, Sawcheek Cardinal, and Tobacco Fish.
08-21-23 Flying Gurnard - Copy.jpg
08-21-23 Hitchhiker Anemone - Copy.jpg
08-21-23 Pearly Razorfish - Copy.jpg
08-21-23 Sawcheek Cardinal - Copy.jpg
08-21-23 Tobacco Fish - Copy.jpg

Hey all,
I’m headed over to WPB tomorrow morning from Clearwater. I’ll be doing dives at BHB on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday for sure, and maybe Thursday if my morning charter gets back in time.

If anyone wants to meet up and say hi, or grab lunch/dinner/drinks, let me know!
I'd join you, but I'm working during the week and HT this Saturday is too late in the day for me.

Indeed a murky 10-15 ft and warm. Strange that it was under 80 on Thursday but 85 yesterday.

Look at who we found on the snorkel trail. We saw a few of the long armed variety. Not sure exactly what kind this one is. But nice to see.

Hey all,
I’m headed over to WPB tomorrow morning from Clearwater. I’ll be doing dives at BHB on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday for sure, and maybe Thursday if my morning charter gets back in time.

If anyone wants to meet up and say hi, or grab lunch/dinner/drinks, let me know!
I'm not likely to have time to dive there those days, but if you do hit the bridge, be sure to get there an hour before high tide to catch the clean water, & earlier than that if you want to increase your chances of getting a good parking spot. Hiring a local guide (like the dirty finned scuba goddess) is a game changer for the number of interesting things you will likely see.

Have fun, it's a good little spot.

... Respectively, Flying Gurnard, Hitchiker Anemone, Pearly Razor, Sawcheek Cardinal, and Tobacco Fish.
Wow, even the one I thought I knew, I got wrong. Please keep posting these things. My non-gamefish reef-fish ID skills need a lot of work.

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 1200 for a 1300 high tide. The park was about the same as the day before 60% full. Entered the water on the west side. Visibility was marginally better than the day before at 20ft, sea temp remains 85f. Entered the west side and stayed there for the duration of the dive. Did a REEF fish survey of 60 species in 60 minutes. On Monday found a Sawcheek Cardinal, yesterday I found a Freckled Cardinal. Highhats for some reason seem to be hanging out in small schools of 10-15 members out in the open as opposed to under an object or where it is darker. Respectively, Freckled Cardinalfish, Highhats, Hogfish With Hook In Its Mouth, Lined Seahorse, and Spadefish

08-22-23 Freckled Cardinalfish.jpg
08-22-23 Highhats1.jpg
08-22-23 Hogfish.jpg
08-22-23 Seahorse.jpg
08-22-23 Spadefish.jpg

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 1200 for a 1300 high tide. The park was about the same as the day before 60% full. Entered the water on the west side. Visibility was marginally better than the day before at 20ft, sea temp remains 85f. Respectively, Freckled Cardinalfish,

View attachment 798900
Interesting I would of put that as a juvie blackfin cardinalfish. I think that's the name without opening up the book(s).

Interesting I would of put that as a juvie blackfin cardinalfish. I think that's the name without opening up the book(s).
Blackfin Cardinalfish have floppy black pectoral fins, disproportionally large to their body size. The pectoral fins in the specimen I have pictured are translucent and much smaller.

That's an unusual find. Those things almost never bite on a hook. In my entire life, I've hooked 1 Spanish hog & 2 spot fin hogs. I've never hooked a true hogfish. They are easy to shoot once you find them, but they are very hard to get on a hook.
That was my thought. Lots of little Hogfish that size on the westside, that is the first one I have ever seen with a hook in its mouth. It didn't seem to be suffering for it, eventually the hook will rust and fallout.

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 1230 for at 1351 high tide. Park was not crowded. Entered on the west side. Visibility was 20-25ft with blue color, sea temp 85f. Entered on the west side and stayed on the west side. Found the Sawcheek Cardinalfish again. Did a REEF fish survey of 62 species in 60 minutes. Also I have to comment, even on low viz days, directly in front of the beach the viz is always seems a little better, maybe because it is shallow water. Its not the case on the westside anymore. They have churned that beach so badly that underlying dirt, not sand gets mixed into water on every tide. On the incoming tide that same muddy water gets dragged into the space between the last land stanchion and the first water stanchion. It's a real shame, and I hope once these guys are done it settles down. Respectively,
Juvenile Dusky Damselfish, Female Bluethroat Pike Blenny, Female Bluethroat Pikeblenny, Tiny Juvenile Foureye Butterflyfish, and Video of tiny Juvenile Foureye Butterflyfish.

08-23-23 Dusky Damselfish.jpg
08-23-23 Female Bluethroat.jpg

08-23-23 Female Bluethroat1.jpg

08-23-23 Foureye Butter.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 1230 for a 1447 high tide. There was a little rain, so that kept the park uncrowded, about 50%. Finally some cleaner blue water moved in! Best visibility in a week at 40ft, with sea temp at 85f. Prior to diving I snorkeled the trail and did a REEF fish count of 47 species in 55 minutes.

Since the park was not crowded I decided to do the east side. Generally when doing the eastside I like to enter 90 minutes before the high tide, and stay under the bridge span, or an the area north of the bridge span, with an imaginary east west line extending from the boat ramp. The current at that time usually dissuades the majority of divers. Since there are rarely any other divers its a good time to get a glimpse of large Barracuda, Snook, and an occasional Goliath. About 20-30 minutes before the tide changes and the current is attenuating when everybody decides its a good time to check out underneath and to the north is when I head south. Then spend some time just south of the bridge span, and turn west to pickup the east end of the snorkel trail. Yesterday as I headed towards the snorkel trail there was a steady stream divers heading in the other direction towards the bridge span. I thought great, they won't be on the snorkel trail. Not sure that many of these divers have a plan or clue as to how to work each area to their advantage with the tide.

The find of the day yesterday was an Orangeback Bass. This is the third one I have found at BHB this year. They look like Lantern Bass except they have orange blotches on their bodies. Orangeback Bass are normally found at depths deeper than BHB, below sixty feet in areas of rubble adjacent to reefs. Orangeback Bass and Lantern Bass are synchronously hermaphroditic, i.e. they can mate as males and females. However, there is usually a dominant/territorial individual that functions only as a male and mates with the hermaphrodites more so than the hermaphrodites mating with each other. Also observed a Seminole Goby and Purplemouth Moray. Seminole Gobies hide in borrows located in sand and rubble. They are uncommon at the bridge, unlike the similar looking and common occurring Banner Gobies that have burrows in the silt. They can be found in the space between the beach and snorkel trail, or just off the snorkel trail. Purplemouth Moray's commonly occur on shallow reefs like those at LBTS, but are uncommon at BHB.

Respectively, Orangeback Bass Right Profile, Orangeback Bass Left Profile, Purplemouth Moray, Seminole Goby, and Barbfish.

08-24-23 Orangeback Bass.jpg
08-24-23 Orangeback Bass1.jpg
08-24-23 Purplemouth Moray.jpg
08-24-23 Seminole Goby.jpg

08-24-23 Barbfish.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom