Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove this morning. I arrived around 8am for a 10:45am HT. Parking wasn't that bad. By 9, it was starting to fill up. When we got out around noon, the parking lot was full of people driving around looking for spots. Who shows up at BHB at noon on a holiday weekend?

I went west for the first time since the construction. Vis was about 5ft and the current was ripping. The current did let up a little and vis grew to around 10ft. Once the tide shifted, vis was crap again. Water temp was 84. I had a camera issue, completely my fault, but I didn't have good focus in the my viewfinder. This made taking pics difficult.

Yellowhead Jawfish
_DSC6311-Edit.jpg

I can't find this guy in two of my books, who can help with an ID?
_DSC6295-Edit.jpg

I stumbled across a decent map of the place

I dove Sunday as well, 11:39am HT. On Saturday I arrived around 8am and there was still "some" parking, albeit on the edges of the prime spots and they didn't fill up right away (9'ish). I arrived at 8:30am on Sunday and oh boy, parking was already filling in the middle area near the boat trailer parking. I played musical parking spots and eventually nabbed a great spot, mostly because the church group of 20+ left at the same time, around 9:30am. By 10am, the parking lot was a zoo of cars looking for spots.

I didn't dive with anyone because I wanted to play with my camera and really sit and hunt for critters. For whatever reason, I decided to swap out my 105mm with my 60mm. I'm a big fan of the 105, so I don't know why I do this to myself. Just mixing it up, I guess.

Visibility was about 20ft and hazy. Temp 83 degrees. I went east without plans to go under the bridge. Now that the construction is cleared out, the lifeguard is back on duty in the swim zone. I didn't want to go out south of the buoy because I wanted to play in the grass, so I walked east past the swim marker. It seemed like there was a lot of dying seaweed, forcing me to look for healthy areas. I didn't find any nudis. I found some critters I had never seen before, but they wouldn't let me get any pictures. I pretty much stayed in the 6-9 ft depths all the way to the sand directly south of the bridge. I crossed over to the piers but could hear a boat close enough to feel the vibrations. That sent me north towards the bridge, and I looped back around. 2+ hr dive.

Arrow Shrimp
May be an image of text that says 'Christian'

Stargazer. This guy scared the crap out of me. He was completely covered in the sand, and as I approached, he rapidly showed himself. I snapped a pic, and it took off.
No photo description available.

Roughback Shrimp
May be an image of text that says 'Christian Jones'

Seaweed Blenny. I used my snoot on this one.
May be an image of text

Though I wanted to avoid the bridge this weekend, the wind left me little choice. Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0854 for a 1245 high tide. Walked around the park to complete a bird survey. Entered on the east side to snorkel the trail at 1010. Did a REEF fish count of 47 species in 50 minutes. When I returned to my truck the parking lot was pretty much filled. Suited up in scuba, and did the west side. Visibility was 20ft, sea temp was 84f. I will happily give up some visibility for warm water, the 50ft vis earlier in the week was nice, but 79f in late August is objectionable. I found a cluster of Colorful Moon Snails. Not sure whey they were altogether like that (they were not as close as in my image, I moved them closer). They did not seem to have any living animals in them. It got me thinking that I have never seen a hermit crab utilize one of these shells as a home. As I was thinking that one the shells moved slightly, so I turned it over. And there was a small Bareye Hermit Crab in one of the shells making a liar out of me. Respectively, Bareye Hermit in a Colorful Moon Snail, Colorful Moon Snail Cluster, Juvenile Permit, and Striped Burrfish.

09-04-23 Bareye Hermit Crab.jpg
09-04-23 Colorful Moon Snails.jpg
09-04-23 Juvenile Permit.jpg
09-04-23 Striped Burrfish.jpg

I stumbled across a decent map of the place

I will respectfully disagree. It has the areas under the east and west bridges marked as no diving..

I had texted @Scuba_Jenny the day prior and said, "Watch vis be 50 ft tomorrow." Drop the 🎤
yeah... figures...

I will respectfully disagree. It has the areas under the east and west bridges marked as no diving..
Thank you for bringing up that subject. I think it is worth discussing.

In my opinion, for the purpose of educating people who will be diving the site for the first time, I think it is a good idea to recommend that those areas the map marks in red be avoided, due to the increased risks that exist. As an extreme example, unskilled yahoo weekend boaters from out of town, represent a clear & present danger to the divers they do not expect to find swimming near the boat ramps. Propeller strikes tend to impart a devastating injury. Some other areas with only increased current, represent a more minor threat, but still an extra challenge that a freshly minted open water diver on vacation should probably be steered away from.

I am not aware of any regulation, that carries force of law, being in place that prohibits diving in the red areas, but I do see the areas as being not the best choice for those who lack diving experience & local knowledge.

I happen to think that it is also a bit rude to swim under the fishing pier & disturb the bite for the guys that are dropping hooks, looking for dinner, but that is just my opinion. I would inform a diver of the risks presented by the hooks. I would not preach to him about how rude it is to degrade someone else' fishing.

I had thought that the map was pretty good because it showed the locations of the artificial reefs. The first time I dove there, I went in blind, I found nothing but sand, & I wondered why people considered that place such a prize to dive. Later, when I stumbled across the structures, I came to understand more. Had I seen this map before I dove there, it likely would have improved the quality of my first dive substantially. It also shows the locations of the rest rooms. That is why I thought the map was worth posting.

I'm interested in hearing other people's take on this.

I'm interested in hearing other people's take on this.

The title of the map is Blue Heron Bridge (Phil Foster Snorkel Trail). There's only a handful of opportunities during the day where it would be safe to snorkel under the bridge. In that context, I agree with the map. I wouldn't reference it in the context of diving and knowing when it's safest to go under the bridge. For a snorkel trail map, it's accurate.

Where they go wrong is all the references to diving in the text and marking no diving zones. They should say no snorkeling.

My recommendation for ANYONE new to BHB is to either hire a guide or find a highly experienced buddy to show you the ropes. I hired a guide for my first dive at the bridge and it was a very wise investment. I don't recommend that anyone dive the bridge cold for the first time. Way too easy to get into one of the boat channels or get yourself in trouble due to the tidal currents.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1155 for a 1330 high tide. The park was not crowded. Entered the east side at 1215. Sea temp at 84f, visibility of about 20 ft. Did a REEF fish survey of 54 species in 65 minutes.. Observed a Goliath Grouper under the east span of the bridge. She allowed a close approach but there was to much particulate in the water for good picture taking. So I did some video and stills without the light. Then she moved away out of visibility range, and I thought she was gone. I contented myself with taking pictures of a Reef Butterflyfish, which are common on the reefs but not at bridge. As I finish with the Butterflyfish, the Goliath Groupers swims over me by about a foot. I follow since she is heading to south where there is decent light. Once in better light she seemed unconcerned with my presence as I shot stills and video. Then she got bored and moved away again. Finished up my dive on the snorkel trail. Respectively, Checkered Puffer, Common Mantis, Goliath Grouper and Goliath Grouper Video.

09-05-23 Checkered Puffer.jpg
09-05-23 Common Mantis Shrimp.jpg
09-05-23 Goliath at BHB.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom