Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday and today. The park was not crowded on either day. It was sunny and breezy. Today it was not overcast but little breeze. Found Louisiana and West Virginia license plate yesterday, and Ohio license plate today. Arrived at 0920 for an 1157 high tide today. Visibility was about 25 feet on both days, with 75f sea temp. Entered the water east the east lifeguard stand at 0957 and did an hour long dive the on snorkel trail. Did a REEF fish count of 59 species in 60 minutes. Exited the water on the westside, changed out my tank (it was only 50cuft), and reentered the water on the west side at 1105. Stayed on the westside south of the bridge, for an hour, and then moved into the vicinity of the bridge pilings and pier for another 70 minutes. Did a REEF fish count of 65 species in 60 minutes. Observations included but were not limited to 3 Shortfin Pipefish, 3 Lined Seahorses, Bighead Searobin, Chain Pipefish, 7 Banner Gobies, Shortnose Batfish, and Orangeback Basss. For sure the stars of the day were 3 Manatee. As I was about three minutes from exiting on the westside in five feet of water, with my attention on the Chain Pipefish, I saw a large shadow to my right. It was a very large Manatee with 2 others in tow behind it. They were not further than 5 feet away, passing between and the bridge piling. The Sealife Sportdiver with my iphone allows switching from photo mode to video mode with a single press of the mode button followed by a press of the shutter button. Its handy, because a still capture would have been very good, and video if not great still provides good documentation. Respectively, Juvenile Trunkfish, Banner Goby, Barbfish, Bighead Searobin, Harlequin Seabass, Shortnose Batfish, Three Spot Damselfish, Spot Wing Comb Jellyfish, and Manatee Video

01-25-23 Juvenile Trunkfish.jpeg
01-25-23 Longspine Sea Urchin Party.jpeg
01-26-23 Banner Goby.jpeg
01-26-23 Barbfish.jpeg
01-26-23 Bighead Searobin.jpeg
01-26-23 Harlequin Seabass.jpeg
01-26-23 Shortnose Batfish.jpeg
01-26-23 Three Spot Damsel.jpeg
01-25-23 Spot Wing Comb Jelly.jpeg
01-26-23 States Map.jpg

It was a very large Manatee with 2 others in tow behind it. They were not further than 5 feet away
That is so cool and a great instant video. Congrats on seeing them at the Bridge !!!!

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday and today. The park was not crowded on either day. It was sunny and breezy. Today it was not overcast but little breeze. Found Louisiana and West Virginia license plate yesterday, and Ohio license plate today. Arrived at 0920 for an 1157 high tide today. Visibility was about 25 feet on both days, with 75f sea temp. Entered the water east the east lifeguard stand at 0957 and did an hour long dive the on snorkel trail. Did a REEF fish count of 59 species in 60 minutes. Exited the water on the westside, changed out my tank (it was only 50cuft), and reentered the water on the west side at 1105. Stayed on the westside south of the bridge, for an hour, and then moved into the vicinity of the bridge pilings and pier for another 70 minutes. Did a REEF fish count of 65 species in 60 minutes. Observations included but were not limited to 3 Shortfin Pipefish, 3 Lined Seahorses, Bighead Searobin, Chain Pipefish, 7 Banner Gobies, Shortnose Batfish, and Orangeback Basss. For sure the stars of the day were 3 Manatee. As I was about three minutes from exiting on the westside in five feet of water, with my attention on the Chain Pipefish, I saw a large shadow to my right. It was a very large Manatee with 2 others in tow behind it. They were not further than 5 feet away, passing between and the bridge piling. The Sealife Sportdiver with my iphone allows switching from photo mode to video mode with a single press of the mode button followed by a press of the shutter button. Its handy, because a still capture would have been very good, and video if not great still provides good documentation. Respectively, Juvenile Trunkfish, Banner Goby, Barbfish, Bighead Searobin, Harlequin Seabass, Shortnose Batfish, Three Spot Damselfish, Spot Wing Comb Jellyfish, and Manatee Video

View attachment 766389View attachment 766390View attachment 766392View attachment 766393View attachment 766394View attachment 766395View attachment 766396View attachment 766397View attachment 766399

love it :heart:

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 0940 for a 1237 high tide. The park was not crowded. I did not add any new out of state license plates. It was early, so I walked around and did a bird survey for Ebird.org, six species. Weather was overcast, cold with a NW wind. Entered east of the east lifeguard at 1025, to do the snorkel trail. Visibility was 25 feet, and sea temp 75f. Did a REEF fish count of of 58 species in 60 minutes. It was a cardinalfish species type of dive. The most commonly observed cardinalfish species at BHB are Flamefish, Twospot Cardinalfish, and Barred Cardinalfish. They are probably most commonly observed because they don't seek really deep dark recesses to hide in during the day. There are plenty of species of cardinalfish at BHB, but they are rarely seen because they do seek deep dark recesses to hide in during the day. Two of these species are Freckled Cardinalfish and Blackfin Cardinalfish. Recently I have been able to find a couple Freckled Cardinalfish when I do the snorkel trail. They hide in the recesses on the northside of the snorkel trail objects. Yesterday I did observe a few Freckled Cardinalfish, as well as species I could not identify (it could be Freckled but looks different). On the second dive of the day observed a Blackfin Cardinalfish for the first time at BHB, on reefs the Blackfin Cardinalfish sometimes hide in tube sponges. As a bonus on the snorkel trail I observed a Rusty Goby, because they like the same habitat as the Freckled Cardinalfish. But I have to say for the second day in a row THREE MANATEES were the show stealers. After leaving the Hammerhead Statues on the snorkel trail I headed north towards the beach, a minute I observed a shadow in front of me, and thought I just left the statues behind me, how can they be in front of me? Then, my brain processed moving shadows as they resolved into three large adult Manatees. They all broke in different directions, but I managed to get each on video. Exited the water shortly afterward, changed tanks, and reentered on the westside. Did another REEF survey of 71 species in 90 minutes, only fish and invertebrates for this dive, no mammals. Respectively, Atlantic Spadefish, Blackfin Cardinalfish, Graysby, Lined Seahorse, Manatee, Manatee, Manatee, Shortfin Pipefish, Six-Keyhole Sand Dollar, Spotted Trunkfish, Stoplight Parrot, (intermediate), Unidentified Cardinalfish, Manatee Video, and Blackfin Cardinalfish Video.
01-27-23 Atlantic Spadefish.jpeg
01-27-23 Blackfin Cardinalfish.jpeg
01-27-23 Graysby.jpeg
01-27-23 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
01-27-23 Manatees_Moment (2).jpg
01-27-23 Manatees_Moment(3).jpg
01-27-23 Manatees_Moment(6).jpg
01-27-23 Shortfin Pipefish.jpeg
01-27-23 Six Notch Sand Dollar.jpeg
01-27-23 Spotted Trunkfish.jpeg
01-27-23 Stoplight Parrot.jpeg
01-27-23 Unidentified Cardinalfish.jpeg

.. But I have to say for the second day in a row THREE MANATEES were the show stealers. ..
At 3 sisters in Crystal River we have the Manatee Police with bull horns yelling at all the divers. There have been physical fights too. BHB doesn't need the manatee/scuba police that's for sure. It's really great that you are seeing them on your dives and you can color me Jealous as heck because I know how rare it is to see them at BHB ( BUT THEY DO VISIT!!! )

Wow! Manatees two days in a row! That’s so cool!

My wife and I are heading down at the end of February for her birthday. I’m not holding my breath for it, but it would be insane if we saw manatees.

Went to the bridge for diving yesterday. Arrived at 0940 for a 1237 high tide. The park was not crowded. I did not add any new out of state license plates. It was early, so I walked around and did a bird survey for Ebird.org, six species. Weather was overcast, cold with a NW wind. Entered east of the east lifeguard at 1025, to do the snorkel trail. Visibility was 25 feet, and sea temp 75f. Did a REEF fish count of of 58 species in 60 minutes. It was a cardinalfish species type of dive. The most commonly observed cardinalfish species at BHB are Flamefish, Twospot Cardinalfish, and Barred Cardinalfish. They are probably most commonly observed because they don't seek really deep dark recesses to hide in during the day. There are plenty of species of cardinalfish at BHB, but they are rarely seen because they do seek deep dark recesses to hide in during the day. Two of these species are Freckled Cardinalfish and Blackfin Cardinalfish. Recently I have been able to find a couple Freckled Cardinalfish when I do the snorkel trail. They hide in the recesses on the northside of the snorkel trail objects. Yesterday I did observe a few Freckled Cardinalfish, as well as species I could not identify (it could be Freckled but looks different). On the second dive of the day observed a Blackfin Cardinalfish for the first time at BHB, on reefs the Blackfin Cardinalfish sometimes hide in tube sponges. As a bonus on the snorkel trail I observed a Rusty Goby, because they like the same habitat as the Freckled Cardinalfish. But I have to say for the second day in a row THREE MANATEES were the show stealers. After leaving the Hammerhead Statues on the snorkel trail I headed north towards the beach, a minute I observed a shadow in front of me, and thought I just left the statues behind me, how can they be in front of me? Then, my brain processed moving shadows as they resolved into three large adult Manatees. They all broke in different directions, but I managed to get each on video. Exited the water shortly afterward, changed tanks, and reentered on the westside. Did another REEF survey of 71 species in 90 minutes, only fish and invertebrates for this dive, no mammals. Respectively, Atlantic Spadefish, Blackfin Cardinalfish, Graysby, Lined Seahorse, Manatee, Manatee, Manatee, Shortfin Pipefish, Six-Keyhole Sand Dollar, Spotted Trunkfish, Stoplight Parrot, (intermediate), Unidentified Cardinalfish, Manatee Video, and Blackfin Cardinalfish Video.
View attachment 766553View attachment 766554View attachment 766555View attachment 766556View attachment 766557View attachment 766558View attachment 766559View attachment 766560View attachment 766561View attachment 766562View attachment 766563View attachment 766564

Love ❤️ it

Finally! My camera arrived and I am back shooting with the Olympus TG-6. Have to reaquaint myself with all the buttons and such.. a learning curve I am throughly enjoying.
Hit the bridge yesterday and today. Yesterday, it was cold, windy, overcast.. I had 73 on my computer. I didn't realize how much I rely on the sun and my flag for navigation, of which I had neither yesterday. My buddy offered to carry the flag.. It was a mess even with my compass.. heading west, look at compass and we're heading north.. turn south, then look at compass heading north.. whaaaa???
Eventually we to some of my favorite spots to see the locals. No manatees, though at one time I heard a diver with an alert. Figured it was either a spotted eagle ray or manatee, but I never saw it.

Attachments

• 1343 02 red seahorse.jpg
    1343 02 red seahorse.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 1343 03 pike blenny.jpg
    1343 03 pike blenny.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 46
  • 1343 04 nudi.jpg
    1343 04 nudi.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1343 05 urchin shrimp.jpg
    1343 05 urchin shrimp.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 1343 06 bumbleshrimp.jpg
    1343 06 bumbleshrimp.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 24
Finally! My camera arrived and I am back shooting with the Olympus TG-6. Have to reaquaint myself with all the buttons and such.. a learning curve I am throughly enjoying.
Hit the bridge yesterday and today. Yesterday, it was cold, windy, overcast.. I had 73 on my computer. I didn't realize how much I rely on the sun and my flag for navigation, of which I had neither yesterday. My buddy offered to carry the flag.. It was a mess even with my compass.. heading west, look at compass and we're heading north.. turn south, then look at compass heading north.. whaaaa???
Eventually we to some of my favorite spots to see the locals. No manatees, though at one time I heard a diver with an alert. Figured it was either a spotted eagle ray or manatee, but I never saw it.
Hi @Scuba_Jenny , do you use a PT-059 Olympus weatherproof Housing or a SeaFrog TG-6 Housing ??

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom