Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0735 for a 0830 high tide. The park was not crowded. Added the state of Kentucky to the list of states observed in the parking lot. Entered the westside at 0800, as I was doing so I observed 2 women climb the rail on the pier and jump into the water. I have only ever seen people jump off the that cement flat on the eastside, never off the the pier before, the image is not very good, but I did catch them in midair. Visibility was about 20ft, sea temp at 74f, with a very strong southeast wind. Current on the westside was strong compared to 8 days ago. My strategy for dealing with that on the westside is to swim directly south after entry for about 30 yards, then regulate my kick to allow the current to slowly push me back toward the first set of accessible pilings, once I reach that first set of pilings I get on the lee side, and start searching for fish and critters. I continue from one set of pilings to the next until, I reach the pier and stay close to those pilings. Current is never as bad under the pier as it is under the pilings of the main bridge. Did a REEF fish count of 65 species in 70 minutes. Even in the 5mm with a hood I was cold for most of the dive. Observed a couple divers with zero thermal protection, offhand they did not seem uncomfortable to me. No particularly unusual species were observed today, but still a Flying Gurnard, 2 Striped Burrfish, and 4 Lined Seahorse. Respectively, Jumpers, Female Bluethroat Pikeblenny, Lined Seahorse, Shadow Hunting, Spotted Moray, Spotted Moray, and States Map.

01-22-23 Jumpers.jpeg
01-22-23 Female Bluethroat Pikeblenny.jpeg
01-22-23 Pearly Razorfish.jpeg
01-22-23 Seahorse.jpeg
01-22-23 Shadow Hunting.jpeg
01-22-23 Spotted Moray.jpeg
01-22-23 Spotted Moray1.jpeg
01-22-23 States Map.jpg

Observed a couple divers with zero thermal protection, offhand they did not seem uncomfortable to me.

"Go to South Florida they said, it's never cold there, water is always warm, you don't need a wetsuit!" 🥶

Meanwhile this relocated local will now be diving in a 7mm until April-May!

"Go to South Florida they said, it's never cold there, water is always warm, you don't need a wetsuit!" 🥶

Meanwhile this relocated local will now be diving in a 7mm until April-May!

If you go way back in the bhb trolls chat, you'll see a user named JimW. I recently was talking with his wife on the phone, and she suggested he might want to go diving. I texted Jim to invite him, and he basically said, not until April. lol

On Sunday, I took one picture of a bumblebee shrimp and next thing I know some guy is shoving his camera right up next to mine. I have no idea how he found me so fast, it was less than 5 ft of visibility. I gave him a dirty look and he left. I look down and my shrimp was nowhere to be seen. I forgot my tickle stick in the back of my truck, I just need to sharpen the tip :)
You were nicer than I was last summer when I was shooting a seahorse and some girl shoves a go pro on a stick into the photo area.
In hindsight I hope to be remembered as that crazy diver and more people stay away! Lol
If you go way back in the bhb trolls chat, you'll see a user named JimW. I recently was talking with his wife on the phone, and she suggested he might want to go diving. I texted Jim to invite him, and he basically said, not until April. lol
Dang! Haven't heard that name in a long time!

You were nicer than I was last summer when I was shooting a seahorse and some girl shoves a go pro on a stick into the photo area.
In hindsight I hope to be remembered as that crazy diver and more people stay away! Lol

Dang! Haven't heard that name in a long time!
JimW (Jim) and DiveDiva (Carol). I hope to see them in the water again, this year. 12 years ago when I got certified, I posted in these very forums (the original trolls thread?) asking for someone to dive with and they took me in. I consider them my scuba parents. They invited me to their wedding anniversary lunch today, but I have to work. I can't wait for April to see them underwater again.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived 0810 for an 0819 high tide. Park was nearly empty, and for the first time in January I did not find a different out of state license plate from what I have seen before. It was a little less breezy than yesterday, with the sun eventually giving way to more overcast conditions. Given the lack of people today, and the earlier hour, I entered the water midway between the lifeguard stands at 0835. Visibility was a hazy 25ft, and sea temp was 75f. Concentrated on the algae patches located between the lifeguard stands, eventually moving off to the snorkel trail, and ending the dive on the westside. Was rewarded with but not limited to the presence of 4 Shortfin Pipefish, Atlantic Long Arm Octopus, Phoronopsis californica, Black Hamlet, Freckled Cardinalfish, and Chain Pipefish. Got a great capture of a small Balloonfish resting inside a broken bottle, and one of the most dark colored Lionfish I have seen. Not withstanding the anthropomorphism, little Balloonfish always crack me up because the shape of their mouths make it look like they are smiling. Respectively, Balloonfish, Black Hamlet, Chain Pipefish, Lionfish, Mutton Snappers, Phoronopsis californica, Shortfin Pipefish Pair, Spotted Moray With Coral Banded Shrimp Buddy, and Atlantic Long Arm Octopus Video.

01-23-23 Balloonfish in a Bottle.jpeg
01-23-23 Black Hamlet.jpeg
01-23-23 Chain Pipefish.jpeg
01-23-23 Lionfish.jpeg
01-23-23 Mutton Snappers.jpeg
01-23-23 Phoronopsis californica.jpeg
01-23-23 Shortfin Pipefish.jpeg
01-23-23 Spotted Moray Eel and Banded Coral Shrimp.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0840 for a 1019 dive. The park was close to empty. Observed another license plate not seen this year, Minnesota. I believe that makes 35 states accounted for. It was a little breezy and overcast for the duration of the time I was there. Entered the west side at 0900, the current was ripping. Visibility was a hazy 25feet, with sea temp of 74f. Did a REEF fish count 68 species in 65 minutes. Observed three Flying Gurnards today. I never tire of the vividness of the pectoral fin markings on the Flying Gurnard. I mentioned earlier this year I had observed an Orangeback Bass, unusual since they generally like deeper water, at least 60 feet. The first specimen I observed this year is still inhabiting the same area. Today I observed another Orangeback Bass about 100 feet from the first one. Did a video of what I call "Porkfish Corner", in the debris pile underneath the fishing pier. Respectively, Flying Gurnard Pair, Lined Seahorse Behind Beer Bottle, Orangeback Bass, Puddingwife, Flying Gurnard Spread Pectoral Fins, States Map, and Porkfish Video.
01-24-23 Flying Gurnard Pair.jpeg
01-24-23 Lined Seahorse Behind a Beer Bottle.jpeg
01-24-23 Orangeback Bass..jpeg
01-24-23 Puddingwife1.jpeg
Flying Gurnard Pectoral Fin Spread.jpeg
01-24-23 States Map.jpg

The bass is out of focus, unfortunately, but the flying gurnard photo with wings spread is really cool.

JimW (Jim) and DiveDiva (Carol). I hope to see them in the water again, this year. 12 years ago when I got certified, I posted in these very forums (the original trolls thread?) asking for someone to dive with and they took me in. I consider them my scuba parents. They invited me to their wedding anniversary lunch today, but I have to work. I can't wait for April to see them underwater again.
Awwwhhh THAT JimW. There is another Jim W that I used to dive with a lot a few years ago, back when you were diving with Carol and Jim a lot.. Met him on here, we dived for a few years. Wonder what happened, if he's still diving, blah, blah, blah.. drove a dark blue 2 seater convertible Beamer..

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom