Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But there’s also a windchill advisory with a low of 43 and a high of 58!! That’ll certainly keep a lot of people away. But I’ll be there!
You have to figure for every diver showing up because they couldn't get out on a boat, there is another diver who planned on BHB but is going to bag it because of the weather. Also with those temperatures and wind chills, there will be a minimal amount of beach goers, barbecuers, paddleboarders, fisherman, and other assorted segments of society that are normally there.

Its so shallow and with a large tank we can probably ride it out down there :)
Enjoy the empty parking lot

Went to the bridge yesterday and today for diving. Conditions were similar both days. Thursday was more crowded than today. Visibility was 50ft on the east side today, and 40ft on the west side yesterday. Sea temp remains at 76f. Did REEF fish counts on both days. 65 species in 65 minutes Thursday, 76 species in 65 minutes Thursday. Added another new species for BHB with regards to REEF database, a Southern Flounder (Paralichthys lethostigma) that makes 2 new species by Jan 12, there were only 6 new species added last year. Observed Lined Seahorse but not Long Snout Seahorses. Observed the same Orangeback Bass from earlier in the week, observed 2 Bandtail Searobins, Slender Mojarra, Mottled Mojarra, Silver Jennys, and Flagfin Mojarras. Still lots of big Barracuda cruising around under the east span. Today made 8 days in row for me at the bridge, I'm surprised I have not seen a Manatee yet this year. Also on Thursday did not get any new license plates, but did pick up Missouri today. Respectively, Channel Flounder, Freckled Cardinalfish, Juvenile Spadefish, Roughhead Blenny, Seahorse (Thursday), Southern Flounder, Seahorse (Friday), States Map, Bandtail Searobin Video, and Sehorse Video

01-12-23 Channel Flounder.jpeg
01-12-23 Freckled Cardinalfish1.jpeg
01-12-23 Juvenile Spadefish.jpeg
01-12-23 Roughhead Blenny.jpeg
01-12-23 Seahorse.jpeg
01-12-23 Southern Flounder.jpeg
01-13-23 Seahorse.jpeg

01-13-23 States Map.jpg

........that makes 2 new species by Jan 12, there were only 6 new species added last year.
Congrats on the new " finds & adds "

Given that all the boats were blown out today, the bridge was definitely far less crowded than it would’ve been if it hadn’t been for the cold weather. I don’t believe even the front section closest to the water ever completely filled up. Visibility was good, but not stellar, & I had a water temp of 73 to 74, and there just were not a lot of divers in the water. Even though it was chilly, it was full on sunny without a cloud in the sky all day, and that helped immensely.

Hey so about that white seahorse.

We are reading about how these rare and endangered guys are supposed to be in Australia. Is this a white seahorse or just a light color of a different local species, somehow change color to be so light? We know there may be some aquarium drops but …

Wherever the little guy came from he was very charming :), but we are curious.

What a difference a day makes. Today saw pretty lousy viz. Maybe 5 to 7 feet of milky viz at best. Water was also colder at 71°. The park was not crowded with plenty of parking and not that many divers or snorklers.

Yesterday & today I had the opportunity to dive with @MrChen. It was a pleasure diving with you!

What a difference a day makes. Today saw pretty lousy viz. Maybe 5 to 7 feet of milky viz at best. Water was also colder at 71°. The park was not crowded with plenty of parking and not that many divers or snorklers.

Yesterday & today I had the opportunity to dive with @MrChen. It was a pleasure diving with you!
It was great meeting and diving with you! Our nav skills were on point today :)

Hey so about that white seahorse.

We are reading about how these rare and endangered guys are supposed to be in Australia. Is this a white seahorse or just a light color of a different local species, somehow change color to be so light? We know there may be some aquarium drops but …

Wherever the little guy came from he was very charming :), but we are curious.
this one is just a white colored Lined Seahorse. White's (possessive) seahorse is the AU species :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom