Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today's summary...
A tale of two divers.
Diver 1: I am shooting a sea horse, I get slapped in the head with a fin. Push the fin away. Then head fin slapping's buddy swoops in a shoves the go pro at the seahorse I'm trying to shoot. I put my hand out in the way of the go pro and signal WAIT!!! Head fin slapping diver swims overhead almost kicking the seahorse. I protect it from the wave action as diver passes.
Diver 2: I am shooting a male jawfish with eggs in its mouth. I notice a couple divers hoovering nearby. They patiently wait. I'm not going anywhere, so I motion them to approach and I back off to let them shoot. They do their shooting and thank me.

This is the way. Sometimes on night dives, I'll be shooting macro and get engulfed in silt... I look up and there's a tornado of divers following a guide. If they come towards me, they might get some silt thrown back at them :)

Today was a tough parking day at the bridge, probably due to the holiday weekend. At 8:30, there were about 20 parking spaces left. At 8:45, there was one handicapped space remaining. shortly thereafter, only the spaces reserved for cops were left. High tide was 11:45. If you got there 3 hours before high tide, you were basically out of luck on parking. When I went to drop a person off at their car, that was parked about 3 blocks away, a tow truck was hauling away a car 3 spaces in front of hers. That was probably 1:30ish. A cop was present with the tow truck. He got a little aggressive with me when I stopped to drop off the other person, but eased up when I explained that I was just dropping off & we would both be gone in less than 2 minutes.

The beach was packed. Walking to my usual entry point was not as easy as usual. The water was warm. No exposure suit was needed, but I did see a lot of people still wearing them. I'd guess the water temp was probably about 83F, but that's just a guess. Visibility was middle of the road, probably about 30ish feet, but I didn't really take an accurate measurement. The quantity of schooling fish was good. I was surprised to find a large lobster present. Normally when the water is this warm, I expect to see them out in deeper water, below a thermocline. Hmmm, when's mini season? I may need to start scouting the reefs outside the inlet pretty soon.

After a month long hiatus due to an injury(not diving related), went to the bridge today for diving. Arrived at 1145 for a 1418 high tide. It was not crowded when I arrived, but the park was filling up rapidly when I got in the water on the west side at 1225. Sea temp was 85F, visibility was 30ft with lots particulate and a slight green tinge usually associated with recent heavy rain activity. Found a couple Frogfish right away but no seahorses. Did a REEF fish survey 65 species in sixty minutes. I encountered very few divers during the 130 minutes I was in the water. I think when high tide is earlier than noontime divers out number beach goers. But today I think the beach goers far out numbered the divers. Respectively, "Blue Eyes", cooperative female Bluethroat Pikeblenny, Spotted Moray Eel, and Planehead Filefish with hook stuck its mouth.
07-06-22 Blue Eyes.jpeg
07-06-22 Female BT Pike.jpeg
07-06-22 Moray Eel.jpeg
07-06-22 Planehead Filefish.jpeg

Today was a tough parking day at the bridge, probably due to the holiday weekend. At 8:30, there were about 20 parking spaces left. At 8:45, there was one handicapped space remaining. shortly thereafter, only the spaces reserved for cops were left. High tide was 11:45. If you got there 3 hours before high tide, you were basically out of luck on parking. When I went to drop a person off at their car, that was parked about 3 blocks away, a tow truck was hauling away a car 3 spaces in front of hers. That was probably 1:30ish. A cop was present with the tow truck. He got a little aggressive with me when I stopped to drop off the other person, but eased up when I explained that I was just dropping off & we would both be gone in less than 2 minutes.

The beach was packed. Walking to my usual entry point was not as easy as usual. The water was warm. No exposure suit was needed, but I did see a lot of people still wearing them. I'd guess the water temp was probably about 83F, but that's just a guess. Visibility was middle of the road, probably about 30ish feet, but I didn't really take an accurate measurement. The quantity of schooling fish was good. I was surprised to find a large lobster present. Normally when the water is this warm, I expect to see them out in deeper water, below a thermocline. Hmmm, when's mini season? I may need to start scouting the reefs outside the inlet pretty soon.
I was there on Sunday. Freaking CRAZY! Got there at 8 and by 9 not a spot open. My buddy thought it a good idea to come up later and have hubby drop her off, she almost didn't get in. They they started letting cars in again around 10:15 and she got a spot.
Underwater was crazy too. I have a little route I take that generally avoids most people. Not this day.
I did almost the same route I did on Saturday... critters still in the same place.. will post some pics from Saturday's dive..

My beloved TG-6 took a drink snorkeling a month or so ago. I was crushed. So I bought another one on ebay. First dive it flooded, and was able to send back for partial credit. I lamented about it on FB and a friend offered to lend me her TG-4 with housing. I was glad I stopped by to pick it up on the way to the bridge. I had a 224 minute dive off a PST 80.
Some photos.
Striated Frogfish
Nudibranch. The white blob in the lower left is my thumb.. for size reference
Dwarf froggie, male, I think
Dwarf froggie
Probably a blackfin cardinalfish. Hard to positively ID at that size/age
4 point sea star, probably the same on Jaan shot last month
The prettiest nudibranch I have ever seen, approx. 1"
Just as I was thinking I hadn't seen a seahorse, spotted eagle ray, or manatee, a spotted eagle ray swoops by. I shoot a few photos and the camera died. Oh, drat. I stop. There is a seahorse..
Freaking awesome dive...

Attachments

• 1308 18 eagleray.jpg
    1308 18 eagleray.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 43
  • 1308 16 nudi.jpg
    1308 16 nudi.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 34
  • 1308 15 sea star.jpg
    1308 15 sea star.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 1308 14 cardinalfish.jpg
    1308 14 cardinalfish.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 34
  • 1308 12 froggie.jpg
    1308 12 froggie.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 1308 10 white froggie.jpg
    1308 10 white froggie.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 42
  • 1308 07 nudi.jpg
    1308 07 nudi.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 1308 04 froggie.jpg
    1308 04 froggie.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 31
Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1205 for a 1515 high tide. It was uncrowded enough to allow me to snag one sided shady parking(one of those spots at the end of parking row with tree and grass on one side as opposed to another vehicle) in the vicinity of the lifeguard office. The park started to fill rapidly after my arrival, I did a bird survey for Ebird, got my gear ready and entered on the west side at 13:26. My first impression underwater was, much improved visibility from yesterday. Green tinge in water was gone, visibility was a nice blue colored 45ft, sea temp was 86f. I realize at entry I was almost two hours before high tide, but relatively speaking the current was strong, i.e. I have entered that early of high tide before and encountered less current. Did a REEF fish count, 58 species in 60 minutes. If my count is correct, that was the 4000th reef survey I have completed. I did my first REEF survey (Finks Grouper Hole) on July 1, 1994. I did my first REEF survey at BHB on on Feb 29, 2000 (34 species in 60 minutes), I have in excess of 1000 REEF surveys of BHB alone. The irony of course, is that of the 453 species observed at BHB I have only observed 316 species. Spent a great deal of time on the dive in the lee of the bridge pilings, finding the sweet spots where the eddy currents move you in the opposite of the main current , and your flag remains motionless. Spent a bit of time directly under the fishing pier next to the debris pile. Tons of Tomtate Grunts and Bluerunners . The Bluerunners were juveniles not much bigger than the Tomtates, so the Tomtates were not fleeing for their lives the way they do when a pack of those 5-10lb Bar Jacks come cruising through. Exited the water well before high tide (had to be somewhere), but not before filming the large school of Scaled Sardine in the vicinity. Respectively, Porcupine Fish, Porkfish, Porkfish, Bluerunners, Schooling Bluerunners and Tomtates, and Schooling Scaled Sardine.
07-07-22 Porcupinefish.jpeg
07-07-22 Porkfish.jpeg
07-07-22 Porkfish1.jpeg
07-07-22 Bluerunners.jpeg

Pipehorse, welcome back! You were missed!!!

Early evening dive yesterday, got there an hour before high tide and managed almost front row parking. Sweet. Not many divers. Looked like we were going to get a good storm, but it fizzled out while underwater and upon surfacing 2:30 later, the water was calm. :)
Of note, 3, or was it 5 seahorses, 2 dwarf froggies, 1 striated froggie, 2 common octopus, bunch of pike blennies and all the regulars. Nice dive. Vis was ok, blue, but decreased a bit once the tide turned.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0710 for a 0813 high tide. The park was uncrowded. The building on the west side of the park with lifeguard office and bathrooms has been tented, two port-a-potties sit outside. Entered the water on the westside at 0729, visibility was 50ft, sea temp was 85f. For the duration of the dive I had the west side to myself. Did a Reef Fish count, 70 species in 60 minutes. Respectively, tented building, dollarfish, Barred Cardinalfish, French Grunts, line handle obscured by Tomtates, Scrawled Filefish, Spottail Goby, Twospot Cardinalfish, White Grunt, and Whitenose Pipefish.

07-13-22 Tented.jpeg
07-13-22 Dollarfish.jpeg
07-13-22 Barred Cardinalfish.jpeg
07-13-22 French Grunts.jpeg
07-13-22 Handle Obscured.jpeg
07-13-22 Scrawled Filefish.jpeg
07-13-22 Spottail Goby.jpeg
07-13-22 Twospot Cardinalfish.jpeg
07-13-22 White Grunt.jpeg
07-13-22 Whitenose Pipefish.jpeg

@Pipehorse I read your post before I looked at the pictures like I typically do. And I saw your description and I said to myself “dollar fish? I’m not sure I know that species. Cool! I’m looking forward to learning a new species!” And then I saw the picture. :rofl3:

@Pipehorse I read your post before I looked at the pictures like I typically do. And I saw your description and I said to myself “dollar fish? I’m not sure I know that species. Cool! I’m looking forward to learning a new species!” And then I saw the picture. :rofl3:
and @Pipehorse

I found a rare 20 Dollarfish snorkeling in the Bahamas when my kids were young.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom