Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am almost embarrassed to post here with my picture quality, but we had a great dive a couple weeks ago. The only negative to it was some fisherman left a box of shrimp bait in the parking lot by one of the only places that you could park - the guy beside me was a full on trooper and threw it away - but every time the wind shifted it was rough.

I do highly recommend anyone driving down the keys stop to dive this site on the way down. Its a great safe warm up area and teaches patience. Once I got my girls to slow down and start looking they saw all kinds of stuff.

There were several things that were way cool about the dive.

1. my wife and daughter actually broke 70 minutes - they always get cold but we have never dove when it wasn't December down here. They were excited when they saw their watch at 65+ so we hung around until 70 in 10 feet of water.
2. Saw a ray hide itself
3. what made me actually type this report was I saw the biggest hermit crab I have even seen, it would have dropped that starfish like a bad habit. It was by the boat off the swim area - it had to be 1.5 feet wide.
4. The meanest smallest juvenile drum I have even seen also - he honestly thought he could take me out.

Attachments

• hide1.JPG
    hide1.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 56
  • hide2.JPG
    hide2.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 51
  • hermit.JPG
    hermit.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 53
  • attack drum.JPG
    attack drum.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 61
I am almost embarrassed to post here with my picture quality, but we had a great dive a couple weeks ago. The only negative to it was some fisherman left a box of shrimp bait in the parking lot by one of the only places that you could park - the guy beside me was a full on trooper and threw it away - but every time the wind shifted it was rough.

I do highly recommend anyone driving down the keys stop to dive this site on the way down. Its a great safe warm up area and teaches patience. Once I got my girls to slow down and start looking they saw all kinds of stuff.

There were several things that were way cool about the dive.

1. my wife and daughter actually broke 70 minutes - they always get cold but we have never dove when it wasn't December down here. They were excited when they saw their watch at 65+ so we hung around until 70 in 10 feet of water.
2. Saw a ray hide itself
3. what made me actually type this report was I saw the biggest hermit crab I have even seen, it would have dropped that starfish like a bad habit. It was by the boat off the swim area - it had to be 1.5 feet wide.
4. The meanest smallest juvenile drum I have even seen also - he honestly thought he could take me out.
Thank you for sharing. Glad you had a good dive!

First BHB dive ever this morning. Really enjoyed ourselves diving something completely different than I have ever done before. +1 for booking a guide for first time BHB divers. We'll go back tomorrow and give a go without a guide.

Man, I gotta get back to the BHB. It's calling me!

I took a dip there on Saturday the 18th. Getting there was a bit of a trick. A Juneteenth parade coincided with high tide. The parade route blocked the normal access roads that I use. It went up & down Broadway in Riviera Beach. Silver Beach was badly backed up, so I ended up needing to go up to PGA, then across to A1A & down the back way, via Singer Island. After a dive & lunch, Blue Heron was open again & I was able to drive home via my usual route. Despite difficult access, the parking lot was basically full more than 2 hours before the mid day high tide.

Water temperature was posted as 79, but my gauge read more like 82. I dove with no suit & was happy that I did. I was not the least bit cold when I got out. Visibility was very good. The fish selection seemed typical. I was surprised that I was able to swim up so close to a school of sheepshead without spooking them. That never happens anyplace where I'm allowed to bring a spear. Sheepies are tasty. They are a little boney, but still a great eating fish.

Had a great dive at the BHB today. Was lucky enough to meet up with @Lostdiver71 who was parked next to us (he was kind enough to let me know someone was leaving)! Parking lot was very busy

BHB didn't disappoint. A good 40 ft of viz and lots of critters.
A couple of samples from Nathalie's collection to share.

1655953350320.png
1655953380453.png

1655953060355.png
1655953073439.png

1655953093426.png
1655953104753.png

1655953128814.png
1655953153061.png

1655953184953.png
1655953200177.png

1655953226590.png
1655953236957.png
1655953266949.png
1655953281242.png

Attachments

• 1655953306851.png
    1655953306851.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 51
Man, it is tough to find good parking at the BHB even for the night dives :wink: for a park that is supposed to close at sunset ,.. it was packed. We are usually more day time divers there but .. tide was right and we got a pass from Pura Vida.

1656471476605.png
1656471486178.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom