Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please help me to understand how you identify this as a Black grouper, rather than a Gag. I'm fairly certain that your ability to correctly identify this fish is far better than mine. I'm trying to learn.
Black Groupers are darker, i.e. closer to a black color than brown color for Gag Groupers. Black Groupers ( in my experience) are more common than Gag Groupers. As for markings, the Black Groupers have regular rectangular shaped markings along their bodies. The markings are more random and irregularly shaped on a Gag Grouper. Gag Groupers have very pronounced marks radiating out from their eyes, Black Groupers not so much. The pectoral fin on a Black Grouper has a yellow margin (though you can't see from the image I posted). Besides Humann's books, I have a picture of the book I use for identification frequently, drawings not images. Respectively, book, Black Grouper drawing, Gag Drawing.

07-16-22 Book.jpg
07-16-22 Black Grouper.jpg
07-16-22 Gag.jpg
wing, and Gag Grouper drawing.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0940 for a 1201 high tide. It was semi-crowded, the beach goers were not in attendance because of the rain, plenty of scuba divers though, still enough parking for anybody who wanted it. Entered the water at 1040 on the westside. Visibility was 40ft, and sea temp was 86f. Did a REEF fish count 70 species, in 60 minutes. I always see plenty of Spiny Lobsters but very few of them are of size that could be considered "keeper". My estimate would be a ratio of 80 shorts (most of them are very short shorts) to one keeper. Saw a good sized keeper guarding the entrance of a pipe today. This is just anecdotal, but seems to be less Lane Snapper around, normally on a REEF the "many" box is checked, (many, means 10 or more) but lately it seems I have checking the "few" box (between 2-9). Respectively, Small Balloonfish, Banner Goby, Graysby, Orangespot Filefish, Saddle Blenny, Keeper, and Spotted Moray with his Banded Coral Shrimp Friends.
07-17-22 Balloonfish.jpeg
07-17-22 Banner Goby.jpeg
07-17-22 Graysby.jpeg
07-17-22 Orangespot Filefish.jpeg
07-17-22 Saddled Blenny.jpeg
07-17-22 Spiny Lobster.jpeg
07-17-22 Spotted Moray and Friends.jpeg

... Spotted Moray with his Banded Coral Shrimp Friends...
Coral Shrimp? Is that what those are? I've always called them sea spiders because I didn't know the correct name. Thanks for that & thanks for the ID help on the different types of Grouper.

Nice images are you sure about the black and white cardinal fish in the middle,? That is an indo- pacific species, that does not belong at BHB. Where exactly was it located. If you are sure you might want to go the REEF website,Report an Exotic or Invasive Sighting | Reef Environmental Education Foundation . A whole lot of people would be very interested in removing that fish.

Nice images are you sure about the black and white cardinal fish in the middle,? That is an indo- pacific species, that does not belong at BHB. Where exactly was it located. If you are sure you might want to go the REEF website,Report an Exotic or Invasive Sighting | Reef Environmental Education Foundation . A whole lot of people would be very interested in removing that fish.
Hi , This fish was north west of the bridge by the rubbles between the truck tire and the concrete wall

3DC407F9-26FF-45D8-B16D-E7324F26F972.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1105 for a 1301 high tide. It was semi-crowded, as many beach goers as divers. Entered the westside at 1140. Visibility was 45ft, and sea temp was 86f. Did a REEF fish count 63 species in 60 minutes. While I was hanging out in the rubble pile under the fishing pier facing into the current with the Porkfish, French Grunts, and Tomtates, I was thinking to myself how much more cooperative fish are as photographic subjects/models, than birds. Except for Black Cap Chickadees and Tufted Titmice that would eat out of my hand in the winter on Long Island (where I grow up) there is no way birds are going to let you get within inches of them like the school of French Grunts were allowing today. I spent a good 30-40 minutes just hanging there facing into the current like a fish. I really love being in the water surrounded by fish, especially in good viz with 86f sea temp. Found a live Sand Dollar today, most of the time I only find the test of dead Sand Dollars, they generally like to remain buried in the sand, so live one's aren't observed that often. Respectively, Bar Jack looking for parasite removal from a French Grunt, Schooling French Grunts, Juvenile Mutton Snapper, Juvenile White Grunt, Lined Seahorse, mixed Porkfish, French Grunts and Tomtates, Porkfish, Redtail Parrotfish, and Sand Dollar.
07-18-22 Bar Jack Looking for Parasite Removal.jpeg
07-18-22 French Grunts.jpeg
07-18-22 Juvenile Mutton Snapper.jpeg
07-18-22 Juvenile White Grunt.jpeg
07-18-22 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
07-18-22 MIxed Porkfish, French Grunts, and Tomates.jpeg
07-18-22 Porkfish.jpeg
07-18-22 Redtail Parrot.jpeg
07-18-22 Sand Dollar.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 1105 for a 1301 high tide. It was semi-crowded, as many beach goers as divers. Entered the westside at 1140.
hello @Pipehorse . Where you wearing a black wetsuit, carrying a two light camera setup, and you are tall, white, and blonde ? Mid 50’s and taking picture of macro on the side of the channel wall near the fishing pier on the northwest side ?

If yes?, Scuba Jenny, my son in pink-orange swim trunks and myself passed you by northbound at the boat channel wall while you were trying to take a photo of some macro life

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom