Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps we saw you there today Pipehorse. A few folks with some nice cameras ... one musta been you :wink: Turned out to be not so bad at all weather wise.

For those looking or debating the catch of lionfish, we saw this little guy just under the East bridge

View attachment 688323
Actually I have two of those really nice cameras, but I haven't been using those lately. Been using the Sealife Sportdiver with my iphone instead, fits in one hand and does video much better than my two very "nice cameras'".

Went diving at the bridge today. It was a bit breezy, more people were there today than yesterday. Did a REEF fish count, 75 species in 70 minutes. Found a Snakefish today. It is in the Lizardfish family, but far less commonly seen than Sand Diver and Inshore Lizardfish. The jaw is protruding and more upturned than the Sand Diver, also the head has a more blunt shape to it. Night Sergeant is only found in shallow water usually among rocks, as opposed to Sergeant Major found throughout the water column. Respectively, Night Sergeant, Sailfin Blenny, and Snakefish.
10-26-21 Night Sergeant.jpeg
10-26-21 Sailfin Blenny.jpeg
10-26-21 Snakefish.jpeg

Hi @Pipehorse

Interesting to read about your Reef surveys. I used to dive with Mike Phelan on JDC Friday 3 tankers before his untimely death in 2012. He was such an interesting person to talk to and freely shared his knowledge. He was near the top of the Tropical Western Pacific surveys when he died, he is still #9.

It is interesting that the BHB now is the top site for number of species, 451. At some point it surpassed the perennial leader, Bari Reef in Bonaire. I am currently in Bonaire, staying at Den Laman with Bari Reef as its house reef. This is still a fantastic dive.

Thanks for your reports :)

Hi @Pipehorse

Interesting to read about your Reef surveys. I used to dive with Mike Phelan on JDC Friday 3 tankers before his untimely death in 2012. He was such an interesting person to talk to and freely shared his knowledge. He was near the top of the Tropical Western Pacific surveys when he died, he is still #9.

It is interesting that the BHB now is the top site for number of species, 451. At some point it surpassed the perennial leader, Bari Reef in Bonaire. I am currently in Bonaire, staying at Den Laman with Bari Reef as its house reef. This is still a fantastic dive.

Thanks for your reports :)
You are welcome! Interesting to note, 8 of the top ten sites in terms of species abundance are in Bonaire, the other two are in Florida, BHB, and LBTS, without a doubt a function of the amount of bottom time available due to shore diving, and the amount of individuals doing surveys for those sites. I used to live in Broward County so frequented LBTS far more often than BHB. But in 2014 moved up to north Palm Beach County so now frequent the bridge far more often than LBTS. Unfortunately I never got to meet Mike Phelan. Besides all the REEF surveys, I know he also did some work with Florida State on identifying Goliaths while they were in spawning aggregations. Have fun down there!

You are welcome! Interesting to note, 8 of the top ten sites in terms of species abundance are in Bonaire, the other two are in Florida, BHB, and LBTS, without a doubt a function of the amount of bottom time available due to shore diving, and the amount of individuals doing surveys for those sites. I used to live in Broward County so frequented LBTS far more often than BHB. But in 2014 moved up to north Palm Beach County so now frequent the bridge far more often than LBTS. Unfortunately I never got to meet Mike Phelan. Besides all the REEF surveys, I know he also did some work with Florida State on identifying Goliaths while they were in spawning aggregations. Have fun down there!
Funny, I took Reef Fish ID in 2013 at JDC with Paul Humann. It was a great course, still have my old, worn copy of Fish ID, Florida, Caribbean, and Bahamas, signed by Paul, "Best Fishes". I thought I might become a Reef Surveyor. Turns out the activity was just not for me, takes a special person to become a dedicated Reef surveyor.

Best fishes...

... Found a Snakefish today. It is in the Lizardfish family, but far less commonly seen than Sand Diver and Inshore Lizardfish. The jaw is protruding and more upturned than the Sand Diver, also the head has a more blunt shape to it. ... Snakefish...
View attachment 688434
Interesting, I've been calling those inshore lizard fish for years. I most often see them on the outside in 30-60 feet of water, over sand bottom with sparse growth. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lauderdale by the Sea
Thanks for filling me in. Do you have any recommendations on parking availability, or other local knowledge that might be useful for someone hitting that spot for the first time?

A few spots on Datura Ave, easily walkable even when geared up. Nice wash station with hoses by the entry, even a nice map of the site. Parking is Metered and you can use the park an pay app
More info at :

There are other threads on Scubaboard for LBTS also to check out Lauderdale by the Sea- Trip Questions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom