Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... lionfish.
You can legally catch them with a net there, just not a spear of any kind..
I was under the impression that you were not allowed to take any sea life from that location without a special permit. I seem to remember seeing a sign to that effect there. I'll have to go back & read it again. Perhaps I missed a detail or two.

Today was the ninth day in row I went diving at bridge. Did a REEF fish count, 71 species in 68 minutes. Before I did the dive, I snorkeled the snorkel trail saw a four foot reef shark, not more than 100 feet directly in front of the western lifeguard stand, it was a little far away so I shoot video just to make sure I could document it. Checkered Puffer, Longsnout Seahorse, Fringed Filefish, and video of the Reef Shark.View attachment 686548View attachment 686549View attachment 686550

Nice. Where exactly did you spot the seahorse? I go there often (local diver) and have a hard time spotting them.

Nice. Where exactly did you spot the seahorse? I go there often (local diver) and have a hard time spotting them.
Generally specific locations are not given as collectors read this thread and have, in the past, used that information to take from the BHB.

I was under the impression that you were not allowed to take any sea life from that location without a special permit. I seem to remember seeing a sign to that effect there. I'll have to go back & read it again. Perhaps I missed a detail or two.
Okay so I got an email today informing me that during the February FWC meeting they approved regulation changes to help sustain BHB as a world class snorkel/dive park! Regulations go into effect on April 1st 2019.

This is wonderful news in my mind but at the end of the change it’s stated that hook and line fishing is still allowed (this is fine IMO) but it also says lobstering is fine which I don’t understand. Does anyone have first hand knowledge about why lobstering is allowed still? Wouldn’t it be easier to police a complete ban?

Below is the email I received.
View attachment 506371
I am not sure that Lionfish are exempt from this.

Went to the bridge today. It was a bit breezy but visibility was still holding up nicely at 30-40ft, since it
was a weekday and high tide was at 09:30 there were not a lot of people there, divers or otherwise. Did a REEF fish count, 64 species in 60 minutes. Found a rather handsome Seahorse. Respectively Seahorse ( Long Snout but not sure), Pedersen's Cleaning Shrimp, and Flagfin Mojarra.
IMG_1431.jpeg
IMG_1459.jpeg
IMG_1477.jpeg

You are correct.
However, there are people who will, when given the location, will target the lionfish in an effort to preserve the area. I have no problem with this.
Same as when before the law changed, cc divers couldn't hunt. Talking to one, under their breath I was assured they were helping eridicate the lionfish.

You are correct.
However, there are people who will, when given the location, will target the lionfish in an effort to preserve the area. I have no problem with this.
Same as when before the law changed, cc divers couldn't hunt. Talking to one, under their breath I was assured they were helping eridicate the lionfish.I
I thought it might be the case because I rarely see them bigger than six inches, just wasn't sure FWC applied the rule to lionfish.

Same as when before the law changed, cc divers couldn't hunt. Talking to one, under their breath I was assured they were helping eridicate the lionfish.

I don't know spear fishing laws, but typically game laws only apply to game animals. Invasive species aren't typically considered to be game animals, so you can do things while hunting them that you can't do if you are hunting game animals. Like you can spotlight hogs and pythons, but you can't spotlight deer.

AFAIK, since BHB is now a no take zone, and they have included lionfish if by spear. You can get them by net, slurpgun.

It is my understanding that BHB is a no take zone for everything, end of story, unless you have a special permit. Further, the snorkel trail is too close to the beach to allow use of a spear under FL law. That aside, if I saw someone taking lion fish there, I would not cause a fuss about it, as I personally believe that they would be helping to maintain the balanced habitat there. That's just me.

FWC encourages the taking of lion fish in almost every circumstance. It is unclear to me if this trumps the no take rule for that particular spot. In my opinion, it should, but I don't know if it does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom