Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually see Mullet in areas where there is less current, usually near the beach in the swim area, or on the northeast side between the rip rap and finger pier next to boat ramps. A special permit is needed to do anything about Lionfish at the bridge. You are right though, thankfully Lionfish are relatively uncommon at the bridge. Despite the large number of species that have been documented at the bridge (according REEF database, 450, the most in any surveyed area through the tropical western Atlantic), some species are conspicuously absent. Depth is one factor, but tolerance for change in salinity during out going tides might be another. For example, rarely do you see any of Squirrelfish Family represented at the bridge.
Did you get to the pier where the schools of Spadefish, Chubs and Snook hang? My favorite spot on the east side.

I usually see Mullet in areas where there is less current, usually near the beach in the swim area, or on the northeast side between the rip rap and finger pier next to boat ramps. A special permit is needed to do anything about Lionfish at the bridge. You are right though, thankfully Lionfish are relatively uncommon at the bridge. Despite the large number of species that have been documented at the bridge (according REEF database, 450, the most in any surveyed area through the tropical western Atlantic), some species are conspicuously absent. Depth is one factor, but tolerance for change in salinity during out going tides might be another. For example, rarely do you see any of Squirrelfish Family represented at the bridge.
During the mullet run, which should be about now, I often see large schools of mullet swimming against current. They seem to relax late at night, into early morning, almost going to sleep in very shallow water. That is where I usually net them for fishing bait.

The lack of lion fish at the bridge may be one of the biggest reasons why so many other species still exist there. Lion fish do exist in greater numbers in other parts of the ICW that are not far from the bridge. I've shot them at the outfall pipe that comes from the power station. I've shot them off a small sunken boat in 15' of water just south of there. I've always wondered why they are not overrunning the bridge.

The pier on the Phil Foster side between rip rap and boat ramps, or the piers on the Singer Island Side behind residences?
East (Singer Island) side. If you go far enough north you'll find it. I've checked it on Saturday, they are all there.

Today was the ninth day in row I went diving at bridge. Did a REEF fish count, 71 species in 68 minutes. Before I did the dive, I snorkeled the snorkel trail saw a four foot reef shark, not more than 100 feet directly in front of the western lifeguard stand, it was a little far away so I shoot video just to make sure I could document it. Checkered Puffer, Longsnout Seahorse, Fringed Filefish, and video of the Reef Shark.
IMG_1231.jpeg
Longsnout Seahorse.jpeg
Fringed Filefish.jpeg

... Fringed Filefish, ...View attachment 686550

I was wondering what those were called. I've seen much larger ones in about 50 feet, on the rip rap off the pink/blue wall south of the inlet.

And I haven't seen very many lions at the bridge. They litter many of the other reefs, but for some reason, I see few there. I was actually wondering if something was being done to control them there, since spears are not allowed in that area.
AFAIK, despite you not being allowed to shoot them there, when there is a sighting, with good location information they disappear pretty quick. I have a feeling some one (s) are stealthy taking them out. I'm OK with that as long as they are only taking the lionfish.
You can legally catch them with a net there, just not a spear of any kind..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom