Blue grotto devils den?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and the West Palm area is almost as good as the keys, IMO...you can't go wrong in that part of the state

Touche'

The Florida Keys....one of my Favorite places to dive. The water is so beautiful down there, it is a MUST for any diver!

Ahh... i agree. West Palm. I need to get back there too!!

Too many dive sites, so little time. Work is really becoming a burden... and its only part time.

Last edited:
This is only my oppinion but I believe that West Palm is better than the Keys. I saw a lot more life on the reefs in West Palm than I did when I was in the Keys. Viz seemed about the same.

This is only my oppinion but I believe that West Palm is better than the Keys. I saw a lot more life on the reefs in West Palm than I did when I was in the Keys. Viz seemed about the same.

I was in West Palm for the first time last month, and I thought it was gorgeous. There was alot of life. Barracude, turtles, eals tons of fish... the reef was so colorful. More life then I think I've ever seen on a dive before. It was also my first ocean dive on the east coast. After enjoying my dive, i get back to the boat, and there were statements about how the conditions werent that great for the area. With that said, i have another trip planned WPB and Jupiter in Aug, and I hope i can see WPB at its best, or close.... and if its not, I'm sure i will still love it compared to the cold Cali waters!

American Pro is a great shop, but neither of the locations you are looking at need to be guided in any way. Both are very small and very clear water. You could start a Blue Grotto dive blindfolded and find your way back to the exit within 30 seconds. All you would have to do is look for the stairs which are usually visible from the far side of the cavern. BG and DD are also only about a mile apart on the same road so finding them isn't a big deal either. IMO, doing a guided dive at either location is like doing a guided dive in a swimming pool. Crystal River is a different story, and well worth it.

There definitely seem to be more turtles in WPB than the Keys (at least on my trips).

I was in West Palm for the first time last month, and I thought it was gorgeous. There was alot of life. Barracude, turtles, eals tons of fish... the reef was so colorful. More life then I think I've ever seen on a dive before. It was also my first ocean dive on the east coast. After enjoying my dive, i get back to the boat, and there were statements about how the conditions werent that great for the area. With that said, i have another trip planned WPB and Jupiter in Aug, and I hope i can see WPB at its best, or close.... and if its not, I'm sure i will still love it compared to the cold Cali waters!

Jupiter Beach is a great drift dive area and a lot more wildlife than the Keys. I saw a very large eel 6ft or better, I had no idea they got that big.
As for Blue Grotto and Devil's Den I agree with Sideband. Both pretty easy dives and crystal clear water if you start early.

Last month I completed my cavern course in Blue Grotto and Blue Springs. I also did a quick 1-day run down to the Narcosis for 2-tank dive.

As pointed out, Blue Grotto is $40 plus $10 fills; IMO overpriced for the site. Nice for training , but not very interesting otherwise.

Blue Springs is a small cavern with lots of non-diving swimmers in the water making it a more dynamic site.

I toured Devil's Den above water, and was impressed with the interesting ceiling effects in the cavern.

In any case, get there early; all these sites are basic scuba class rooms, and viz will be awful by mid-day.

The Palm Beach dive was fun, saw a Goliath Grouper, and a lone turtle. The Narcosis is a good boat, I would dive again.

.....I'm driving to the Keys for at LEAST a day or two, where the water is warm, and salty, and the fish are pretty.
That's exactly what I would. Oh, wait, that's exactly what I'm doing this weekend! :D Now if someone could get the winds to lay down a bit, that would be perfect! :14:

I will have to check this out.....I have never been to West Palm.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom