blown seams, disappointing customer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am the owner of a Men's ML Lynx 5-mm full wetsuit (item # 050124) which has been on 61 dives, primarily in salt water. I purchased the wetsuit in December 2009 from my local dive shop. Two weeks ago while diving aboard the Caribbean Explorer II Saba-St Kitts (great trip), I noticed that the stitching of the seam that continues below the base of the back zipper had completely come apart (about 4 inches of seam) and that the stitching on the seam of the back, left thigh had also begun to loosen and unravel (about 2 inches of stitching). While I love the fit of this suit and for the past two years consistently recommended Waterproof to other divers, I was disappointed in the appearance of blown stitching after such relatively light use.

Two email inquiries to the Waterproof customer service did not get a response. A phone call this afternoon to their US customer service number was no more satisfying. I was told by their customer service representative that they no longer carry the 5-mm Lynx and that there was nothing that could be done and that if I liked they would give me the number for a 3rd party repair shop in Torrance, CA. So evidently, that's that.

I understand that wetsuits wear out, but to have this issue after only 61 dives is very disappointing. Also, why bother having a customer service e-mail address if you don't bother responding to it? Needless to say, this will be my last Waterproof wetsuit.

Mr. Potato Cod

Hi Mr Potato Cod-
Sorry to hear of your issues. Since the suit is not covered under warranty, it would need to be repaired at an appropriate facility which was recommended by our customer service dept. In normal wear and diving conditions, it is possible for seams and threads to wear and possibly fray, that is just normal use unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom