Blowing Tank Air on a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use tank air on my 1st stage to blow water from the area of the inlet before I remove the 1st stage from the valve. After each SW dive, I rinse the connection with FW, bleed pressure and loosen the connection just a bit. I turn the air back on just enough to blow any water away from the connection before I fully desconnect the reg. No water gets into the inlet.

I didn't think I was old school. That's how I was trained in the 90's. But we were also taught not to give it a giant blast, "Juuuust crack the valve for a couple of seconds," and be sure to direct the airflow and any moisture spray away from the 1st stage, otherwise, "You will have shot yourself in the foot".
I readily admit it is irritating and sometimes startling when someone twists their valve a full turn open for 10-20 seconds.

Yeah, I think we should throw those clowns who blow air on their dust caps for a few seconds overboard! How inconsiderate!
:rofl3:

I saw some people doing this earlier this year in Cozumel, the only reason I can see to do it is to annoy everyone else on the boat.
I guess you dont check..test...your tank contents either? Nor do u dive Nitrox...

okay so some folks were trained like that, what doesn't make sense to me is to dry a dust cap that I thought was only to be put on if a tank is full.

And, I statistically, I was with a bunch of dutch folks at Bonaire and they were all nice except they blew air at what I thought was their first stages!

Thanks for the replys

okay so some folks were trained like that, what doesn't make sense to me is to dry a dust cap that I thought was only to be put on if a tank is full.

And, I statistically, I was with a bunch of dutch folks at Bonaire and they were all nice except they blew air at what I thought was their first stages!

Thanks for the replys

Where do you think the regulator dust cap is to be installed?

Thanks for the replys
It doesn't seem you are quite understanding. It is not the cap on the tank that is being talked about, it is the little cap/plug that protects the first stage from water entry when it is being rinsed. Unfortunately, they are both called dust caps, but neither one is really there to protect from dust.

I made a 6" whip with qd male connector on one end and a small orifice at the other.
I use it to blow off all water from dust cap and the general area of the inlet before I remove the first stage.
Just crack open the tank valve, and there is enough pressure to get the job done.
No care if it's annoying to neighbor diver.

I blow my dust cap. I do try to do it gently and not be too disturbing. I probably am in the minority but it is my current practice. I don't know why people want to put the cover on wet.

It just seems easier. Your on a boat. Everything is wet. Your wet. Everything you touch gets wet including your dry towel. How are you going to dry something with a wet towel? Now, compressed air...

FWIW, I am 25% Dutch.

Back
Top Bottom