Blew an O-Ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel 2006, my adjustment knob on the second stage blew-out resulting in a catastrophic nonfixable free-flow, on a single-tank dive in 6m of depth, during a weightbelt lead check. Switched to my bungied back-up reg around my neck and then modulated/feathered the tank valve behind my head while doing a CESA. (Should be a skill regularly practiced starting in basic open water IMHO).

Raja Ampat 2007, my DM/Guide has his tank valve O-ring extrude resulting in a major leak on initial descent to 12m depth; I donated my long hose, shut-down his tank valve, showed my SPG reading 190 bar (like you should always do during a S-drill), and we elected to continue the dive gas-sharing at 9m for 30min touring an absolutely gorgeous reef.

O-ring blowing...something that I have yet to hear about a DIN reg.

Good job and managing your emergency.

Davisbd, thank you for your contribution to ScubaBoard.

There are reasons that we train people to dive with buddies and to have the ability to orally inflate a BC.
AND - keep in mind that weight dropping is an option if needed. Seen too many reports where lost divers were found with weights still on.

Cozumel 2006, my adjustment knob on the second stage blew-out resulting in a catastrophic nonfixable free-flow, on a single-tank dive in 6m of depth, during a weightbelt lead check. Switched to my bungied back-up reg around my neck and then modulated/feathered the tank valve behind my head while doing a CESA. (Should be a skill regularly practiced starting in basic open water IMHO).

Maybe my definition of CESA is not consistent. I always thought CESA meant : NO air, no buddy, no nothing. You're down and gotta head up. Ascend no faster than your bubbles and "whistle" on the way up to prevent an embolism.

So in your case you had air, so why the CESA?

And maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like you did that the hard way. Why not switch to your backup 2nd, and then just fold the hose over going to your primary to pinch off the freeflow? Sure seems a lot simpler than feathering a valve.

-Charles

Maybe my definition of CESA is not consistent. I always thought CESA meant : NO air, no buddy, no nothing. You're down and gotta head up. Ascend no faster than your bubbles and "whistle" on the way up to prevent an embolism.

So in your case you had air, so why the CESA?

And maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like you did that the hard way. Why not switch to your backup 2nd, and then just fold the hose over going to your primary to pinch off the freeflow? Sure seems a lot simpler than feathering a valve.

-Charles
My backup 2nd stage is my bungied reg around my neck (that's for me only & no one else, and it's there necklaced around my neck where I always know it will be): I switched to it after discarding & clipping off the nonfixable long hose primary regulator.

And I've only got two hands; I rather work the tank valve behind my head with my right, and control my wing deflation with my left instead of "pinching-off" the hose going to the freeflow.

Finally, you should never waste breathing gas if you can help it in this instance. I had enough air to even do an abbreviated safety stop/slowing ascent from 3m because I elected to feather/modulate my tank valve, a "modified CESA" if you will, taking breaths as needed (the tank expired just as I reached the surface). It's a good & proper technique for this contingency, and I'm confident I could do it even from 30m deep should it ever happen again. . .

And I've only got two hands; I rather work the tank valve behind my head with my right, and control my wing deflation with my left instead of "pinching-off" the hose going to the freeflow.

Right. So instead of working the valve with one hand, you just hold the pinched off hose in that hand. Heck, you probably could have pinched it off and stuck the kink through a D-ring leaving that hand free.

Obviously your method worked, I just don't understand why you didn't take a much simpler approach.

-Charles

Right. So instead of working the valve with one hand, you just hold the pinched off hose in that hand. Heck, you probably could have pinched it off and stuck the kink through a D-ring leaving that hand free.

Obviously your method worked, I just don't understand why you didn't take a much simpler approach.

-Charles
Because the motivation is again, not to waste precious breathing gas --even if it means interrupting your gas supply on single tank for a moment by shutting down, and then modulating your tank valve to take in breaths as needed after full exhalations during the CESA maneuver. Leading up to that moment, I had already tried & failed to diagnose & fix the free-flow, and had looked around for my buddy who was nowhere to be seen: I was not going to futz around another 5 to 10 seconds trying to pinch-off my long hose, statically holding it in hand during ascent, or "stick the kink through a D-ring hoping it will successfully hold on ascent just to free-up that hand." Shutting down the tank valve in those 5 seconds, and then feathering on ascent is the more decisive and correct action to take.

Last resort, if you can't reach your tank valve, then attempting to pinch the hose in this instance is your only recourse (along with the CESA). . .

Last edited:
Welcome to SB and thanks for your informative post. Yep, DIN is the way to go. I've had o-rings blow on yoke valves (once at the beginning of a deep dive). With my DIN valves, my o-rings are contained. I just replaced one that has been on my reg for several years... it didn't blow but it was looking a slight bit deformed.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've had a group member blow an o-ring at 60'.. His buddy (who happened to be a Rescue Diver in training at the time) was right next to him and immediately took the appropriate steps to save the day. A good dive buddy is one that is always nearby. You've earned some valuable experience points with this one! Good job.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom