Blasted airlines, always making it tougher!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plastic straws are one of the starting points to make us cognizant of the damage single use plastics cause. Even Dandy knows that, which I'm assuming is why he's going with paper straws.
Even? As I said, it's a step. I try to reuse or recycle as much as possible. I guess I might take my own tumbler and fork to my local hamburger joint.

Even? As I said, it's a step. I try to reuse or recycle as much as possible. I guess I might take my own tumbler and fork to my local hamburger joint.

Sorry Dandy. Shouldn't have phrased it that way.

Yes taking your own coffee holder is a great idea but at least try to avoid taking the plastic top. And if you're anywhere (like tim horton's, definitely refuse the black/brown plastic tops. Can't be recycled and contaminate the whole load.

Do you need to take a fork? Well, I guess if you're eating places that only offer plastic cutlery.

I'm trying to figure out how to handle eating at kiosks and take out in Singapore. Often the food is provided in a plastic bag. Not only bad for the environment but super messy too.

Do you need to take a fork? Well, I guess if you're eating places that only offer plastic cutlery.
I mentioned my local hamburger joint. I like ketchup on my fries, but not my hands.

Back to griping about airlines: I see that American went up $5 on first checked bag fees today. :mad:

Back in the early 70s the Ecology Club in my high school demonstrated that it was possible to melt down plastic milk cartons, with the idea that they could be used again to make something else. There were maybe six or seven of us in the club in a school of a couple of thousand kids. I'm not sure if the percentages have increased but sometimes it doesn't seem like it. Sometimes my efforts seem futile as I watch others waste so many resources without a thought or a care, but the way I see it is that every little bit we do is a step in the right direction. My two daughters are very environmentally conscience and they each have three kids who may also be.

BTW, it's beginning to look like this should be a new thread :)

I just did a trip to Coz last month, and as often is the case - now I am thinking about going again.
Am I missing something with my plan attempts? Traveling light is not an option, but I might be overlooking some other good idea.

Buddy, your closest airport is Lubbock? It’s never going to be easy and likely to get worse.

Here’s a solution ...

https://www.netjets.com/en-us/

American offers the same flights I took last month - ugh, over 2½ hour layover going, arriving at 4pm if I am lucky - hate getting there so late, then 3¾ hour layover on return starting my car's defroster after midnight for $556
Well, I revisited the idea. At least they've come down to $428. That's $128 less so more appealing, even with crappy connections. Now I question if I am still in the mood for this?

Some suggest that I drive the 4½ hours to DFW instead of one hour to Lubbock, but that's $536 vs the $428 itinerary that connects to the same DFW planes. That's often the case. Lubbock, Amarillo, and Midland (too far from me) are all $318 to Cancun - not worth the bother.

When is Carnival, and do I want to be there or avoid the hassle?

CajunDiva when did you say y'all are going?

When is Carnival, and do I want to be there or avoid the hassle?
I guess that festival is in late February judging by hotel prices, but I think I'll avoid that. I found $404 fares for some dates, but I think they required an overnight layover so skipped to the $428 offered by American, $478 with upgrade to main cabin fares, plus $130 luggage fees = $608. United was a few dollars more, with higher bag fees (Gawd, but I miss Continental!), and an overnight stay on return, so boo on them. Southwest had come down to $364 + $100 in bus & ferry costs = $464, which is less than $608 - but not enough for me to fight over seats.

So I'm booked for February 5-13, same crappy flights I took last time, 2½ hour layover going not arriving until 4pm, 3¾ hour layover returning getting back to my house after midnight. Got Mary Carmen booked again @ $37/night :crafty: and I'll add breakfast when I get there. My favorite Op Henry at Salty Endeavors has promised Eagle rays so now to let him know and book my trip insurance.

I guess that festival is in late February judging by hotel prices, but I think I'll avoid that. I found $404 fares for some dates, but I think they required an overnight layover so skipped to the $428 offered by American, $478 with upgrade to main cabin fares, plus $130 luggage fees = $608. United was a few dollars more, with higher bag fees (Gawd, but I miss Continental!), and an overnight stay on return, so boo on them. Southwest had come down to $364 + $100 in bus & ferry costs = $464, which is less than $608 - but not enough for me to fight over seats.

So I'm booked for February 5-13, same crappy flights I took last time, 2½ hour layover going not arriving until 4pm, 3¾ hour layover returning getting back to my house after midnight. Got Mary Carmen booked again @ $37/night :crafty: and I'll add breakfast when I get there. My favorite Op Henry at Salty Endeavors has promised Eagle rays so now to let him know and book my trip insurance.
Hey, we will be there at that time. It would be great to finally meet you, unless we already did meet and didn't know it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom