BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for some reason this thread makes me think of cherry bom.... I mean teknas. :D

The thing is, according to the marketing hype it's supposed to be MORE powerful than a traditional large torpedo DPV. I think that many people are inclined to believe the hype. As you stated it's clearly ok for slowy puttering around a reef. But I've never been out of breath doing that kicking. And if there's current to contend with, well the Bladefish isn't goint to be much help. To me it seems like another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

The time for inexpensive plastic bodied recreational scooters (recreational as in rated for 130FSW or less) is coming IMO. When lithium batteries reach the price point of todays lead acid batteries the price of scooters will come way down and as prices come down a whole new generation of divers will get to experience the fun and utility that they provide. I very much look forward to that day.

I used the unit and it has plenty of power-and I'm sure it would help in a current. Again, it's a very light weight portable DPV. I was personally very surprised with the BladeFish 5000 considering it's size.

I used the unit and it has plenty of power-and I'm sure it would help in a current. Again, it's a very light weight portable DPV. I was personally very surprised with the BladeFish 5000 considering it's size.

The pool video of the Bladefish was not impressive. Are there different speeds on this thing?

I really see this thing as more of an impediment, than an asset. When a current kicks up the last thing anyone needs is some dangly that you have to tow back to shore because it didn't live up to expectations. I used a series of scooters in some wicked currents in caves & the ocean. If it picks up to a couple of knots the (Mako-style) scooter at full blast (with some kicking) can be helpful. Past that, sometimes it's just not worth the effort to dive in dicey conditions...especially with something that looks as slow as the Bladefish.

X

I'm 6'1" at 220# and a paraplegic. Yesterday I was on a dive where the current exceeded my ability to pull myself along, so my wife had to help by pushing me. That meant we both burned air quickly (almost 2x normal).

I think there are a lot of divers who, like me, fly to the Caribbean or wherever we dive. Portability is a great plus.
If the DPV can last through at least two tanks, that would be great.
I don't pretend to know a thing on the topic, so I guess my question is which machine is better suited to my needs? The SeaDoo or the Bladefish?
From what I have read and seen so far, I would demand a test of at least one hour, in gear, in open water. But I know that either machine will go faster than I can by arm power only.

The pool video of the Bladefish was not impressive. Are there different speeds on this thing?

I really see this thing as more of an impediment, than an asset. When a current kicks up the last thing anyone needs is some dangly that you have to tow back to shore because it didn't live up to expectations. I used a series of scooters in some wicked currents in caves & the ocean. If it picks up to a couple of knots the (Mako-style) scooter at full blast (with some kicking) can be helpful. Past that, sometimes it's just not worth the effort to dive in dicey conditions...especially with something that looks as slow as the Bladefish.

X

The Blade Fish 5000 has 3 speeds. It will definitely help in currents(I think it has more power than the Sea Doo Seascooter GTI and Sea Doo VS Supercharged and even those units are helpful in a current) and I think most recreational divers will be more than happy with it's speed-but the main advantage is it's portability.

I'm 6'1" at 220# and a paraplegic. Yesterday I was on a dive where the current exceeded my ability to pull myself along, so my wife had to help by pushing me. That meant we both burned air quickly (almost 2x normal).

I think there are a lot of divers who, like me, fly to the Caribbean or wherever we dive. Portability is a great plus.
I don't pretend to know a thing on the topic, so I guess my question is which machine is better suited to my needs? The SeaDoo or the Bladefish?
From what I have read and seen so far, I would demand a test of at least one hour, in gear, in open water. But I know that either machine will go faster than I can by arm power only.

More expensive but the Sierra fits the bill of being reliable, powerful enough for your needs and portable.

Dive Xtras - Dive Xtras

I'm 6'1" at 220# and a paraplegic.

I don't pretend to know a thing on the topic, so I guess my question is which machine is better suited to my needs? The SeaDoo or the Bladefish.

The X scooter is a terrific unit with batteries that you can swap out. However, it isn't inexpensive and when you're traveling it requires a big box which TSA really loves to examine and take out of the box. Weight with case = under 50 lbs. not including battery.

The Rabbit tool batteries are also a hassle because they think you're carrying a bomb. I nearly missed two flights.

http://www.rabbittool.com/NewFiles/Pancake.html

I wish I had access to are these products, or had been included in the Tahoe Benchmark:

Underwater Propulsion for Military and Commercial Divers This inventor was also prototyping a small hand scooter with some of the same attributes

One adage fits this scooter niche of small enough, dependable enough and powerful enough - You get what you pay for.

X

Last edited:
The Blade Fish 5000 has 3 speeds. It will definitely help in currents(I think it has more power than the Sea Doo Seascooter GTI and Sea Doo VS Supercharged and even those units are helpful in a current) and I think most recreational divers will be more than happy with it's speed-but the main advantage is it's portability.

You think that the bladefishh is stronger then the seadoo vs. Have you used both?
I owned the vs and found it was decent for our needs.

I now own the explorer.

Most DPVs(I'd say from the Sea Doo Seascooter GTI and up) will help with currents and conserve gas. The major advantage with the BladeFish is portability which has obvious benefits when traveling or shore diving. Some advantages to keep in mind with the Sea Doo Seascooter line are a lower price point, you can switch out batteries when necessary and adjustable buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom