BLADEFISH Sea Jets - A Completely Different Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can smb that tested it let us know if it floats in case you let go, or does it sink? I think that the sea-doo if you let go it surfaces...
Has anybody tested both in order to have a comparison...

Can smb that tested it let us know if it floats in case you let go, or does it sink? I think that the sea-doo if you let go it surfaces...
Has anybody tested both in order to have a comparison...

It's negative so it sinks.

BTW, here is a link to the video I shot...turn up the audio and you'll notice how loud it is.

BTW, here is a link to the video I shot...turn up the audio and you'll notice how loud it is.

That's not a bad vid-accurate depiction of the unit. When I reviewed the unit here:

I had the opportunity to use the BladeFish Sea Scooter in a pool with full gear. It's really a completely different scooter from the Sea Doo Seascooter Explorer as well as most scooters on the market. The BladeFish 5000 is actually very powerful for it's size-not quite as powerful as an Explorer but close, doesn't handle as well and is noisier than the Explorer-but for a 10# 15"x6" it's pretty impressive.

Pros:
Compactness: At only 10 pounds and small footprint it's a slam dunk for airplane travel-and I don't think TSA would have a problem with it(doesn't look like a torpedo)
Power: It will easily tow a diver with full gear
Run Time: between 1-2 hours and quick recharge(comparably)
Battery: Small Lithium Ion batteries don't take up space on unit-and you don't need to worry about charging them every few months

Cons:
Noise: It's pretty loud-because it's a very small scooter there isn't much room for sound insulation-and you do hold it in front of your face
Battery: Can't switch out those Lithium Ion batteries-you'll need to wait for it to recharge before your next dive-and after about 500+ dives the scooter is dead-tho I've heard you may be able to send it in for battery replacement
Ergonomics:You hold this scooter straight in front of you- Not to bad but less fluid than a scooter you hold sort of below you

Bottom Line: Look, the BladeFish just isn't going to replace torpedo shaped scooters but If space is a real issue, if you love shore diving but hate carrying your heavy scooter or if your a frequent traveler the BladeFish is definitely worth taking a look at.

I mentioned it was noisy underwater-but I must say-I think the mic on your camera may exaggerate what the user hears as I don't remember it being that loud. It definitely was that loud out of the water but it really didn't bother me underwater whereas the sound from the video was annoying.

Thanks for the video demonstration.

My thoughts on seeing that are that one of the reasons why i have a scooter is a a hedge against wicked currents - don't think it would help much with that. Another is to make long runs from shore where normally I would need a boat. Using the Bladefish I'd probably burn through most of my gas before I even got to the dive site. Finally I like to be able to use my left hand while scootering - to adjust wing/drysuit give hand/light signals etc. Again, not really possible. I don't consider any of these things to be technical in nature. So it's not for me, especially since I've seen used Echos for about twice that. This doesn't mean that it has no use for anybody, I'm sure there are people who will enjoy it. But it's not about recreational vs. technical. The question is what problem does this piece of dive gear solve that justifies spending $800 on it?

From a purely subjective, non scientific point of view I would wager a guess that my Sierra could probably pull two divers in drysuits and doubles in third gear (out of five) as fast or faster than the diver in that video. Can't even imagine how big the difference would be to a CUDA...:D

It weighs 10 pounds, is the size of a frisbee and can tow a diver in full gear-it's not suppose to be as powerful as a large torpedo DPV-it's really completely different

It weighs 10 pounds, is the size of a frisbee and can tow a diver in full gear-it's not suppose to be as powerful as a large torpedo DPV-it's really completely different

The thing is, according to the marketing hype it's supposed to be MORE powerful than a traditional large torpedo DPV. I think that many people are inclined to believe the hype. As you stated it's clearly ok for slowy puttering around a reef. But I've never been out of breath doing that kicking. And if there's current to contend with, well the Bladefish isn't goint to be much help. To me it seems like another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

The time for inexpensive plastic bodied recreational scooters (recreational as in rated for 130FSW or less) is coming IMO. When lithium batteries reach the price point of todays lead acid batteries the price of scooters will come way down and as prices come down a whole new generation of divers will get to experience the fun and utility that they provide. I very much look forward to that day.

It's a very, very slow scooter. Even if it does weigh 10 pounds I really don't see any point in this device other than a novelty, or some other distraction for diving.

One obvious factor that keys you into how slow this device is are the fins of the pool pilots. Their fins keep dropping down. :shakehead: A tow behind scooter with enough forward motion will keep a divers' body in a horizontal position. Even a slow scooter like the defunct Cayman Tyger Ray kept a body near horizontal if used properly.

About Us

I think this product will find a niche as a pool toy. Not for serious diving.

X

When lithium batteries reach the price point of todays lead acid batteries the price of scooters will come way down and as prices come down a whole new generation of divers will get to experience the fun and utility that they provide. I very much look forward to that day.

Regardless of the battery used a real scooter needs a real motor, motor controls, depth rated case, charger prop and kort nozzle etc.

The cost of the batteries is not insignificant, but the % of total contributed by the batteries is less than often assumed.

On a dollars per watt hour basis Li-Ions are very competitive with other chemistries right now.

Tobin

Regardless of the battery used a real scooter needs a real motor, motor controls, depth rated case, charger prop and kort nozzle etc.

The cost of the batteries is not insignificant, but the % of total contributed by the batteries is less than often assumed.

On a dollars per watt hour basis Li-Ions are very competitive with other chemistries right now.

Tobin

Agreed.

But there is something to be said for mass production. If Aqualung decided to invest in a production line in China and make 50,000 of them I bet they could build them for a fraction of what today's hand built, high end, low volume scooters cost while retaining reasonable reliability. I've seen the Dive Xtras factory - I loved it since I used to work at a machine shop but because of that background I also know how expensive it is to make things this way.

Back
Top Bottom