Blackbeards packout list - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I’m also going on this trip this week, which is my first liveaboard. I’m trying to determine if anyone knows what the actual sea temperatures have been v. the average I see.

Nassau Water Temperature | Bahamas | Sea Temperatures - states the sea temperature is currently 81, but the average I see is 75-80. I’m the type who uses a 5mm at 80+ but I would consider a 7mm if the temps are in the 70’s.

Luggage scale. You will be packing wet gear. You will need to shift some checked items to carry on to get home. It was amazing how everyone was overweight as we were packing to head home. Water has weight. Overweight baggage fee is $100 for the airlines.

A double wall water bottle with a caribener was my choice for water. Use the plastic cut for the beer and rum punch.

The rest of the comments all sound right. Less shirts. You will buy one while there which will be a good clean one to get home in.

They will store bags that are not going on the boat. So travel clothes and shoes and other stuff not needed on the boat are easy to store. You won't see it in a week. But not tripping over it on the boat. Headphones and dry shoes. The clothes I traveled to and will wear on the way home are stored.

I slept in one bathing suit while the other was drying. Had one set of "dry" clothes that I didn't use on the boat. 3 bathing suits would have been better. 2 shirts wasn't enough, 3 would have been fine.

I saved room for a bottle of rum to bring back as well. There is a liquor store across the street (700?) that is cheaper than the duty free at the airport.

Snorkle, bring it. Those that swam to shore thought that was fun way of doing it.

Your #5, delete. You are already planning on a light jacket. That will do the same thing.
#11, I brought one. Good choice for shore excursions. Although I still did most of my pictures on my cell phone.
#14, I brought some. Didn't use any. Left them all on the boat. If you get some, go up one size. You want a stout clip to help the sail of a towel if the wind picks up.
#19 can be left in the shore bag. All I had on the boat were wetsuit booties and flip flops. Unless you are one of those people who sleeps in socks they are not needed on the boat.

For reference, I have done an early October trip. Winter I would expect to change a little.

Thanks! :)

Good list jlcnuke. Maybe a small dry bag for storage in the in deck bin. In December it may get pretty cool especially diving 4 times a day. You definitely will get snorkeling opportunities.

Thanks for the idea :)

Hello,

I’m also going on this trip this week, which is my first liveaboard. I’m trying to determine if anyone knows what the actual sea temperatures have been v. the average I see.

Nassau Water Temperature | Bahamas | Sea Temperatures - states the sea temperature is currently 81, but the average I see is 75-80. I’m the type who uses a 5mm at 80+ but I would consider a 7mm if the temps are in the 70’s.

You should post a query in the Bahamas forum to get some up to date information:
Bahamas

I have been to the Bahamas in early November and the water was usually still pretty warm, so early December shouldn't be bad and a 7mm strikes me as overkill - but we all feel the cold differently.

Let us know about your trip after you return!

Last edited:
Good list jlcnuke. Maybe a small dry bag for storage in the in deck bin. In December it may get pretty cool especially diving 4 times a day. You definitely will get snorkeling opportunities.
Since you have some storage in your bunk where it's truly dry, there may not be a need for keeping anything dry in the deck bin. What would be needed to keep dry here anyways though?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom