Blackbeards packout list - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*scoffs* are you suggesting even in the slightest bit that I smell on a liveaboard when saltwater has infiltrated everything without a solid wash for a week?

PUH-lease. :wink:

I've thought of another (small) item to bring - earplugs! It is dormitory-style sleeping and it can get noisy!

Looks good! I might be nitpicking here but I think 5 quickdry shirts for a 7 day liveaboard might be a lot. You probably will wear one a bunch during surface intervals when you're salty or wet, and then the rest might be for dinners, etc. Even then, you'll only wear it for a couple of hours a night so I think you could probably pull out 2 and just keep 3. I also think of it as a number of outfits = number of tops multiplied by number of bottoms. I'd also just do 2 swimsuits. Mine have thick padding (I need all the help I can get!) and it's still fine on a 7 day liveaboard. I'm thinking you'll have some freebies meaning whatever you're wearing onto the plane as part of the deal - I would throw in a fleece jacket or a hoody or something for warmth in case the windbreaker or long sleeve shirt isn't enough while on the plane or wherever.

Any OTC medications and bandaids you think you may need (tylenol, immodium, etc.) I would also bring.

I plan on leaving my large bag with my "traveling clothes" at the shop on the island. Do you think I might need something warmer on the boat though (Bahamas in late December..)?

Hey man, having done 2 of these trips, here are some notes about the items you are planning on bringing on the BB trip:

13. 12" Microsoft surface, charging cable, and compact bluetooth mouse (for storage/editing videos/pics, downloading dive logs, recording info on the dives, etc).
Given the space of the boat is VERY limited you won't have much space to use this surface and mouse setup. There's a small table for eating in the galley but this table may only fit 4 people max-if people are eating or hanging out there, you may not have the ample room you'll need to work.

9. One (1) smallish bottle of shampoo - can double as body wash at sea.
-I would get a larger travel size of baby shampoo. This baby shampoo will defog your mask, use as shampoo, and even body wash. Just be mindful of the shower situation on the boat.

Snorkel
-HA! What the hell is that?

SMB with reel
-SMB yes. Reel? Meh-Given there's little to no current in the Bahamas I have never used a reel in any of my livaboard trips.

dive knife and trilobite
-I have NEVER brought or even thought about bringing a dive knife on any livaboard trip. The reason? Most of the sites in the Caribbean are protected Marine parks and I have NEVER seen or run into fishing line or anything that will cause me to get entangled. Again, your call but I don't think a dive knife while if you're not diving in an overhead environment is necessary. If you do decide to bring one, be sure that you DO NOT pack this into your carry on gear.

Don't forget that because the BB dives are NOT guided, don't forget to pack a compass.

Thanks for the good info :D. I guess I'll ditch the mouse and just use the touchscreen. As it's pretty compact, I'd be bringing the surface pro anyway, even if I don't use it (or use it much) on the boat I'd rather have it with me I think.

My BC is setup with the trilobite and my dive knife mounted on my straps (trilobite on waist, knife on left chest strap) so it's actually more annoying for me to remove them than to bring them. I just always have them when diving and neither are so big as to be a bother. The BC, fins, wetsuit I plan on packing in my checked baggage, with my regs and dive computer in my carryon.

My wrist computer has a compass (Oceanic OCi). I imagine that will be adequate for navigation, or do you think I should bring a dedicated compass as well?

What I found that worked for shirts was a few 3 fishing or Hawaiian shirts I would throw one on between dives and usually change then after about two or three days. I hang them on the rail when I'm diving.

Snorkel one is nice for between the dives when trying to hunt for lobster.

Soap a couple of hotel bar soaps was plenty for washing. I recommend some baby wipes or hospital wipes for cleaning up before bed or other personal cleaning.

When are you going to be onboard? We are on the Dec 16th trip.

I'm going on the Dec 23rd trip. Wipes sound like a good idea... thanks :)

I decided to bring the snorkel only because I saw/read that they often do some snorkeling between dives so I figured better to have and not need it than to want it for those and not have it.

This looks like a good list, I would also bring a water bottle or insulated drinking cup. They will give you a cup to label and use during the week but some people prefer to bring their own cup.

Bring a pair of sweatpants because it can get cold on the water at night.

I know that this is part of the scuba gear, but be sure to bring a tank light and battery because you will be doing night dives.

Definitely bring the 3 swimsuits, you will use them and sitting around in a wet suit is no fun. And 5 tee-shirts is not too many IMO, people who only bring a couple of shirts and wear them all week may not realize that they smell bad. They do sell souvenir tee-shirts on the boat, so that could give you a clean shirt to wear home!

Have fun!

Thanks, a cup it is :)

I do have a tank light in my dive gear.

I've thought of another (small) item to bring - earplugs! It is dormitory-style sleeping and it can get noisy!

Forgot all about those (even though they were mentioned in the other thread). I'll add them to the list.

Does blackbeard have enough space to store and manage a DSLR camera? These things have to be taken out of their housing and will have many smaller parts which will go back in with Orings lubed up etc. Not easy to do on a rocking boat if you do not have enough "working space."

Does blackbeard have enough space to store and manage a DSLR camera? These things have to be taken out of their housing and will have many smaller parts which will go back in with Orings lubed up etc. Not easy to do on a rocking boat if you do not have enough "working space."
Definitely not a large scale DSLR rig with all the strobes, etc. There is no dedicated camera table let alone storage for anything larger than a GoPro on these boats. If you decide to bring it, your only option is to find an empty bunk to which you can store this massive thing. I myself have never seen anyone bringing a large scale camera on any of these trips.

Also, the ladders to the bunks on these boats are super steep, and you have to go up and down facing the ladder, with 2 hands. I'm pretty sure holding a massive DSLR with one hand going up and down these ladders is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Definitely not a large scale DSLR rig with all the strobes, etc. There is no dedicated camera table let alone storage for anything larger than a GoPro on these boats. If you decide to bring it, your only option is to find an empty bunk to which you can store this massive thing. I myself have never seen anyone bringing a large scale camera on any of these trips.

Yeah, I'm not bringing a dive camera rig (as I don't have one). Just a digital camera for taking better pictures topside/on land.

Thanks for the good info :D. I guess I'll ditch the mouse and just use the touchscreen. As it's pretty compact, I'd be bringing the surface pro anyway, even if I don't use it (or use it much) on the boat I'd rather have it with me I think.

My BC is setup with the trilobite and my dive knife mounted on my straps (trilobite on waist, knife on left chest strap) so it's actually more annoying for me to remove them than to bring them. I just always have them when diving and neither are so big as to be a bother. The BC, fins, wetsuit I plan on packing in my checked baggage, with my regs and dive computer in my carryon.

My wrist computer has a compass (Oceanic OCi). I imagine that will be adequate for navigation, or do you think I should bring a dedicated compass as well?
Definitely ditch the mouse as you won't have room to use it anyways. Also, due to the awkward placement(power plugs are on the ceiling, not an ideal place as plugs will fall right out) of the power plugs in your bunk, you may want to look into getting a portable power bank-this way you can use your devices without having that awkward charge cable dangling from the ceiling and falling off.

Yeah, I personally don't get why a knife is needed in the Caribbean-I have never and will never bring one on any of my trips. Your call but I honestly don't think you need one at all.

No need for the additional compass if your computer has a built in one. Plus don't forget that you'll be with a buddy and there will be other divers around so a 2nd compass is not necessary. I personally don't like digital compasses so I always just use wrist mounted analog version with bungee straps.

For me I'm all about streamlining gear while vacation diving. I personally hate to have that xmas tree look or even have anything dangling off my rig.

Lastly, don't forget to drop your snorkel off the wall in the Exumas. It's the best place for it. :wink:

I plan on leaving my large bag with my "traveling clothes" at the shop on the island. Do you think I might need something warmer on the boat though (Bahamas in late December..)?...

I've dived in the Bahamas, around Nassau, in March and the water was cold IMO (around low to mid 70s). I don't know what it will be like in late December - but you should research that.

Yes, it can get cold on the boat at night. I think that you should have sweat pants and a sweatshirt or a jacket. Also, the sleeping dormitories are air-conditioned - which is nice - but they can get chilly.

Last edited:
BTW, I like my snorkel, it isn't a burden to carry and I consider it part of my safety equipment! When the mooring line broke once during a dive in the Caymans, I was glad that I had it with me!

And speaking of snorkels and Blackbeards, it is illegal to take lobsters when wearing scuba in the Bahamas. When we were on Blackbeards years ago, the captain and another crew member took their masks, fins, and snorkels and went out to harvest some lobsters. Then they traded two bottles of rum for more lobsters from some local fisherman in the area - and we had quite a feast on board that night - so a snorkel can be a very handy tool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom