Blackbeards packout list - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlcnuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So as not to derail the other thread, I thought I'd start this one about "camping style" liveaboard packing... i.e. "what to bring when you don't have much room".

This is my current (almost certain to be modified) list of things I plan to bring that ARE NOT dive gear itself (i.e. the stuff I'll store in my rack).

1. Prescription meds (obviously needed) in travel case (week pill box).
2. Two (2) micro-fiber towels (compact and dry quickly).
3. Three (3) swimsuits (what I expect to be wearing until I go to sleep while on the boat). Maybe 2 is enough??
4. Five (5) quick-dry t-shirts (what I expect to be wearing while on the boat).
5. One (1) quick-dry long-sleeve t-shirt (in case it's chilly at night).
6. One (1) light-weight rain-jacket (in case it rains or to use as a wind-breaker).
7. One (1) pair of "sleeping shorts" (athletic shorts to sleep in).
8. Two (2) pair of underwear for sleeping in (just sleeping in them, don't think that justifies changing them daily).
9. One (1) smallish bottle of shampoo - can double as body wash at sea.
10. One (1) tube toothpaste and a toothbrush to go with it.
11. Digital camera (for surface pictures) with spare batteries.
12. Gopro, spare batteries, charger, spare memory cards, go pro stick and wrist mount (for mounting options other than my mask), for shooting video, mostly underwater.
13. 12" Microsoft surface, charging cable, and compact bluetooth mouse (for storage/editing videos/pics, downloading dive logs, recording info on the dives, etc).
14. Four (4) plastic clips (for clipping towels etc for drying)
15. Reef safe sunscreen (for not turning into a lobster myself).
16. Bonine pills (never been seasick, including during my 12 years in the Navy, but better to have and not need...).
17. Antibiotic ear drops (to minimize chance of swimmers ear/treat any minor ear problems).
18. Wallet and phone (for use when I get on land/paying tips etc).
19. Two (2) pairs of socks (just in case).
20. One (1) pair of sandals (for walking in when not barefoot).

My first test load-out of that fits (barely) in my backpack that I anticipate storing on the shelf at the end of my bunk. Am I missing something necessary or "highly suggested"? Do I have too much of something? Do I have the wrong thing on something? Do I have something I shouldn't bother bringing at all?

All of this is in addition to dive stuff (wetsuit, booties, lycra socks, fins, mask, snorkel, SPG, regs, BC, masks (2), snorkel, SMB with reel, dive computers, tank light, dive lights (2), whistle and signal mirror, dive knife and trilobite) which won't (as I understand it) be stored in my bunk.

Looks good! I might be nitpicking here but I think 5 quickdry shirts for a 7 day liveaboard might be a lot. You probably will wear one a bunch during surface intervals when you're salty or wet, and then the rest might be for dinners, etc. Even then, you'll only wear it for a couple of hours a night so I think you could probably pull out 2 and just keep 3. I also think of it as a number of outfits = number of tops multiplied by number of bottoms. I'd also just do 2 swimsuits. Mine have thick padding (I need all the help I can get!) and it's still fine on a 7 day liveaboard. I'm thinking you'll have some freebies meaning whatever you're wearing onto the plane as part of the deal - I would throw in a fleece jacket or a hoody or something for warmth in case the windbreaker or long sleeve shirt isn't enough while on the plane or wherever.

Any OTC medications and bandaids you think you may need (tylenol, immodium, etc.) I would also bring.

Hey man, having done 2 of these trips, here are some notes about the items you are planning on bringing on the BB trip:

13. 12" Microsoft surface, charging cable, and compact bluetooth mouse (for storage/editing videos/pics, downloading dive logs, recording info on the dives, etc).
Given the space of the boat is VERY limited you won't have much space to use this surface and mouse setup. There's a small table for eating in the galley but this table may only fit 4 people max-if people are eating or hanging out there, you may not have the ample room you'll need to work.

-I would get a larger travel size of baby shampoo. This baby shampoo will defog your mask, use as shampoo, and even body wash. Just be mindful of the shower situation on the boat.

Snorkel
-HA! What the hell is that?

SMB with reel
-SMB yes. Reel? Meh-Given there's little to no current in the Bahamas I have never used a reel in any of my livaboard trips.

dive knife and trilobite
-I have NEVER brought or even thought about bringing a dive knife on any livaboard trip. The reason? Most of the sites in the Caribbean are protected Marine parks and I have NEVER seen or run into fishing line or anything that will cause me to get entangled. Again, your call but I don't think a dive knife while if you're not diving in an overhead environment is necessary. If you do decide to bring one, be sure that you DO NOT pack this into your carry on gear.

Don't forget that because the BB dives are NOT guided, don't forget to pack a compass.

Hey man, having done 2 of these trips, here are some notes about the items you are planning on bringing on the BB trip:

Given the space of the boat is VERY limited you won't have much space to use this surface and mouse setup. There's a small table for eating in the galley but this table may only fit 4 people max-if people are eating or hanging out there, you may not have the ample room you'll need to work.

-I would get a larger travel size of baby shampoo. This baby shampoo will defog your mask, use as shampoo, and even body wash. Just be mindful of the shower situation on the boat.

Snorkel
-HA! What the hell is that?

SMB with reel
-SMB yes. Reel? Meh-Given there's little to no current in the Bahamas I have never used a reel in any of my livaboard trips.

dive knife and trilobite
-I have NEVER brought or even thought about bringing a dive knife on any livaboard trip. The reason? Most of the sites in the Caribbean are protected Marine parks and I have NEVER seen or run into fishing line or anything that will cause me to get entangled. Again, your call but I don't think a dive knife while if you're not diving in an overhead environment is necessary. If you do decide to bring one, be sure that you DO NOT pack this into your carry on gear.

Don't forget that because the BB dives are NOT guided, don't forget to pack a compass.

You mean the dorkel? :wink: I would keep the SMB but maybe not use a reel, a fingerspool is fine. I agree, probably don't need the dive knife but I would still carry a trilobite just in case. Good point on the compass. :)

You mean the dorkel? :wink: I would keep the SMB but maybe not use a reel, a fingerspool is fine. I agree, probably don't need the dive knife but I would still carry a trilobite just in case. Good point on the compass. :)
DORKEL! HA! I was on the BA4 recently and this one diver had a snorkel and he noticed he was the ONLY diver that had one. During the dives, we noticed this thing kept getting into his face and we asked how it was. He promptly packed the snorkel away for the rest of the trip.

DORKEL! HA! I was on the BA4 recently and this one diver had a snorkel and he noticed he was the ONLY diver that had one. During the dives, we noticed this thing kept getting into his face and we asked how it was. He promptly packed the snorkel away for the rest of the trip.

Thanks for the chuckle! I bring one with me on every trip but I have the nautilus style roll-up one. I only break it out if I know there will be a surface swim or there are whitecaps in the water and there's a possibility I'll be hanging for a while until I get picked up. If that is the case, I keep it in my pocket or clipped off on a d-ring and not actually on me until I need it. I can't handle getting dorkel-slapped, not to mention the havoc it creates with my hair.

Thanks for the chuckle! I bring one with me on every trip but I have the nautilus style roll-up one. I only break it out if I know there will be a surface swim or there are whitecaps in the water and there's a possibility I'll be hanging for a while until I get picked up. If that is the case, I keep it in my pocket or clipped off on a d-ring and not actually on me until I need it. I can't handle getting dorkel-slapped, not to mention the havoc it creates with my hair.
outofofficebrb and I will be happy to begin an anti dorkel revolt here. I'm scuba diving, not snorkeling. With proper navigation, you shouldn't need to ascend to the surface. Unless the surface is crazy choppy with high swells, your snorkel will just get in your way. If you do have to surface swim, inflate your BC all the way and swim/kick on your back to the boat. But if you feel more comfortable carrying snorkel that's going to smack you in the face during the dive, have at it!

What I found that worked for shirts was a few 3 fishing or Hawaiian shirts I would throw one on between dives and usually change then after about two or three days. I hang them on the rail when I'm diving.

Snorkel one is nice for between the dives when trying to hunt for lobster.

Soap a couple of hotel bar soaps was plenty for washing. I recommend some baby wipes or hospital wipes for cleaning up before bed or other personal cleaning.

When are you going to be onboard? We are on the Dec 16th trip.

So as not to derail the other thread, I thought I'd start this one about "camping style" liveaboard packing... i.e. "what to bring when you don't have much room".

This is my current (almost certain to be modified) list of things I plan to bring that ARE NOT dive gear itself (i.e. the stuff I'll store in my rack).

1. Prescription meds (obviously needed) in travel case (week pill box).
2. Two (2) micro-fiber towels (compact and dry quickly).
3. Three (3) swimsuits (what I expect to be wearing until I go to sleep while on the boat). Maybe 2 is enough??
4. Five (5) quick-dry t-shirts (what I expect to be wearing while on the boat).
5. One (1) quick-dry long-sleeve t-shirt (in case it's chilly at night).
6. One (1) light-weight rain-jacket (in case it rains or to use as a wind-breaker).
7. One (1) pair of "sleeping shorts" (athletic shorts to sleep in).
8. Two (2) pair of underwear for sleeping in (just sleeping in them, don't think that justifies changing them daily).
10. One (1) tube toothpaste and a toothbrush to go with it.
11. Digital camera (for surface pictures) with spare batteries.
12. Gopro, spare batteries, charger, spare memory cards, go pro stick and wrist mount (for mounting options other than my mask), for shooting video, mostly underwater.
14. Four (4) plastic clips (for clipping towels etc for drying)
15. Reef safe sunscreen (for not turning into a lobster myself).
16. Bonine pills (never been seasick, including during my 12 years in the Navy, but better to have and not need...).
17. Antibiotic ear drops (to minimize chance of swimmers ear/treat any minor ear problems).
18. Wallet and phone (for use when I get on land/paying tips etc).
19. Two (2) pairs of socks (just in case).
20. One (1) pair of sandals (for walking in when not barefoot).

My first test load-out of that fits (barely) in my backpack that I anticipate storing on the shelf at the end of my bunk. Am I missing something necessary or "highly suggested"? Do I have too much of something? Do I have the wrong thing on something? Do I have something I shouldn't bother bringing at all?

All of this is in addition to dive stuff (wetsuit, booties, lycra socks, fins, mask, snorkel, SPG, regs, BC, masks (2), snorkel, SMB with reel, dive computers, tank light, dive lights (2), whistle and signal mirror, dive knife and trilobite) which won't (as I understand it) be stored in my bunk.

This looks like a good list, I would also bring a water bottle or insulated drinking cup. They will give you a cup to label and use during the week but some people prefer to bring their own cup.

Bring a pair of sweatpants because it can get cold on the water at night.

I know that this is part of the scuba gear, but be sure to bring a tank light and battery because you will be doing night dives.

Definitely bring the 3 swimsuits, you will use them and sitting around in a wet suit is no fun. And 5 tee-shirts is not too many IMO, people who only bring a couple of shirts and wear them all week may not realize that they smell bad. They do sell souvenir tee-shirts on the boat, so that could give you a clean shirt to wear home!

Have fun!

Last edited:
Don't worry after day 3 everyone will smell bad that is just party of living on a boat where nothing truly dries.

The most important thing to bring on a liveaboard is a sense of humor and a generally good, positive attitude. If you're not familiar with boats - much less living on one - here's a few FACTS about boats:

• everything on a boat breaks
  • everything on a boat leaks
  • everything on a boat gets wet
  • nothing on a boat every really dries
  • everything on a boat smells like a boat; where things break, get wet, and never really dry
  • anything that doesn't smell like a boat smells like people who live on a boat
  • everything mechanical on a boat is very loud (until it breaks; then it becomes very quiet)
  • everything non-mechanical on a boat creaks and/or rattles (until it breaks in; then it gets very quiet; that's usually the day before it breaks)
  • everything on a boat is small
  • if something is not small, it's not on the boat
  • if something is not available on the island/mainland, it's not on the boat
  • if something is not on the boat, it's not on the boat
  • if you need something specific but didn't bring it, it's not on the boat
  • even things that are usually on the boat are often not on the boat
  • most things that happen on a boat happen simply "because it's a boat"
A thousandmajor/minor/uncomfortable/disgusting/annoying/inconvenient things can go wrong on a boat over the course of a year. Statistically, that means that 20 of them will happen the week you're on board. You won't notice 15 of them. Will any of the the other 5 things ruin your trip? Honestly - other than a condition which presents a clear and imminent safety or health issue - whether or not something ruins your trip is entirely up to you. I choose to focus on the things like diving that make my trip enjoyable; folks who choose to focus on things that will ruin their trip can always find something that will.

But, as an optimist, keep in mind that you also get to take the good with the bad...
  • everything GOOD that happens on a live-aboard happens "because it's a boat"
  • you're never more than an hour or so from the next dive, the next meal, the next nap, or your first drink - because it's a boat
  • you set your gear up once and don't worry about it again - because it's a boat
  • you're right over the dive site - because it's a boat
  • two hours later you're right over the next dive site - because it's a boat
  • it's a twenty foot walk from your last bite of desert after dinner to your night dive - because it's a boat
  • it's a ten foot walk from your night dive to a hot shower - because it's a boat
  • it's a twenty foot walk from the hot shower to a cold beer - because it's a boat
  • it's a twenty foot walk from the cold beer to your bed - because it's a boat
  • when you wake up the next morning to the smell of coffee and waffles...you're right over the next great dive site - because it's a boat

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom