blackbeard what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am really looking forward to the trip i would never have thought of bringing clothes pins if i would not have heard it here does the boat have any replacement parts or spare equipment if you have an equipment failure

I don't think they carry spares, maybe some o rings and straps and the like.

You'll have a great time, I really enjoyed our week on the "Sea Exploder." The first mate "Sparky" is on this board somewhere - couldn't understand half of what he said since he's from Alabama, but he was a great guy as were the rest of the crew.

If you get a chance to request specific dive sites ask for the Nodules...quite spectacular and the best site I have ever seen.

Bring a large (no skid bottom) cup for water/ juice/ beer/ rum punch they provide a small cup that you hang on a hook when not in use but you'll appreciate having your own.

As far as the clips ensure they are HEAVY DUTY for hanging your wetsuit on the lines to dry.

Don't forget your Bonine/Dramamine just in case.

You'll also appreciate a sports seat cushion those benches get hard after awhile.

The dive gear storage area is under the benches and will be shared with your dive buddy they are fairly roomy infact you get more room for your gear then for your personal stuff. Speaking of personal stuff DO NOT bring alot of clothes items etc. you get a 3'x1' shelf to store ALL of your personal items.

Luggage is left on the dock in a connex during the trip so I wouldn't worry to much about how bulky it was.

Ear Plugs for sleeping may be advisable especially if your in the main galley. The 6am wakeup from the cook banging around or the late night card playing from the other passengers may keep you up.

Most important bring a good attitude and you'll have a great time. :wink: it really is camping at sea!

I went in Dec on Sea Explorer and loved it.

You have a gear locker under a seat topside for wet gear and a 3' X 10" shelf in your bunk. THAT'S IT. Plan accordingly. Minimize with the smallest toiletries possible and the fewest clothes possible.

1 pair sweat pants & shirt in case it's cool
3-5 t-shirts
1 nice shirt
2-3 shorts
1 rainsuit
2 swimsuits to alternate
1 pair boat/wet shoes
2 towels, 1 topside, 1 below
2-4 heavy duty clips from Sears hardware
Large mug, or buy one at the dock from BB
Seat cushion
Hat
extra sunglasses
sunblock
Dramamine/Bonine
Ear Plugs
Tylenol
Good, thick book
MP3 player full of favorites
$100-150 (15%) to tip the crew - they'll earn it for sure

You can unpack your hard bag and leave at the pier or use a softside (duffle) and sleep with it. Roll your clothes and put in a ziplock to condense it.

Have a blast, I did and I can't wait to get back again!!!

I second the heavy duty clips. One person on our trip got electrical/construction bulldog style clips. We got regular WalMart clothes pegs and lost at least one towel early on.

At Sears, the tool department calls them Spring Clamps.
Find here:

http://tinyurl.com/ap3yy

I tied a towel around a line one night and lost it. I used regular clothesline clips and had to use 3-5 to be safe. Others had these spring clamps and lost nothing. I already bought them to put in my scuba travel kit.

Picture attached.

i am really looking forward to the trip. this is my first time that i will be flying on a dive trip i usely drive to fla (it was cheaper to fly this year) any words of wisdom on what to expect from united and should i zip tie all of my zippers or will that just flag me for an inspection.also is there any special precautions that i should take when packing my gear i have a padded reg bag and a padded gear bag. is there anything else i should do to protect my gear. thanks for all of the help

I had a blast on my first Blackbeard's trip last november aboard the Sea Explorer. You might want to be prepared for a rough crossing of the gulf stream, which lasts several hours. Just about everyone on board got seasick, including a number of crew members. Other than that, everything else the others mentioned is spot on. Also bring a camera and take lots of pics. You can check out my pics if you like:

http://www.ibs-cards.com/~warren/bimini.exe

Executable format, about 35 MB.

RICHinNC:
DONT take hard luggage or bulky items you cant stow...

DO take lots of sunblock....several pairs of swim trunks and t-shirts.....spare batteries as applicable....

Yes you can take bulky luggage. They have a storage shed to store your luggage. so if you need to bring a large case for camera equipment or your gear that you won't need while on the boat. don't worry.

included is a rough checklist I used for the Trip I led in march for Roger Williams University Sping breakers

I went on a Blackbeards cruise and I loved every minute. The people are great as is the diving. Make sure you hit the end of the world bar in bimini. Sign your name on the wall. They say that blackbeards is like camping at sea, but since I love camping and not into all that thrilly stuff it was great. Big clamps to use when you hang your towels and stuff on the side of the ship. worked great didn't lose anything.. (well maybe some innocence!!) Yea right..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom