blackbeard what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

budcris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i am going on the blackbeard's long weekend june 3 - june 7. it is my first live aboard, anyone have any words of wisdom on what to bring with me or what to expect. also what kind of equipment should i bring, my full set or just the barebones? and will i need a wet suit or will a skin be enough.

DONT take hard luggage or bulky items you cant stow...

DO take lots of sunblock....several pairs of swim trunks and t-shirts.....spare batteries as applicable....

budcris:
i am going on the blackbeard's long weekend june 3 - june 7. it is my first live aboard, anyone have any words of wisdom on what to bring with me or what to expect. also what kind of equipment should i bring, my full set or just the barebones? and will i need a wet suit or will a skin be enough.

Water temps in the Bahamas range from 76-79 right now on the western side. I'd suggest a 3mm full suit or perhaps a 3mm shorty at minimum.

And bring clothespins to hold the curtains in the cabin (if you want ANY privacy).

towels, shorts, sunscreen, good attitude towards becoming friends with strangers you'll be close to for several days.
Don't forget lights and safety sausage.
Won't need technical wreck penetration stuff - reels, etc..

Bring ear plugs to wear at night. That way you won't have to listen to other people snore. As for the clothes pins, bring "heavy duty" ones so you can clip towels, etc to the guy-wire-rails to dry. regular clothes pins always don't hold tight enough on a boat.

If you don't like motion on the boat in your bunk, don't get a bunk in the bow. That's where the most motion is. Get one amidships. Down side to amidships is that there is more noise and activity there which is a problem if you want to sleep late or get up early.

I can't say enough that you need extra sun screen if you burn any at all. Sun screen in Bimini ain't cheap either.

Thanks for the responses. I would never have thought of clips for the curtains. Sounds like good advice all around!

Wristshot

Expect some fabulous diving!!

Take an extra $100 or so to tip the crew--assuming they deserve it, which from my experience they will.

theskull

bring an inflatable raft,the cheap $5 kind you'd use in a pool.when you drop anchor behind an islet,they're nice to float around the boat on.also bring candy if you eat it (you'd be surprised how you jones for that stuff sometimes) and a bigger beer mug if you drink. and see if they have fresh conch salad at the "end of the world" bar in bimini.that stuff kicks! you pull into bimini at night and the crew tells you you shouldn't get off the boat because you haven't cleared immigration.then the crew goes to bed and everyone goes to the bar anyway. i dove a 3 mm shorty the same time you're going and it was more than enough. a cheap $10 walmart set of foul weather gear is good too. on the crossing back to florida it can get choppy with a lot of spray.it can get a little chilly on deck if you're soaked and a little stuffy below deck if everyone is down there.

Besides the crew tip, about the only place you'll spend cash is in the shore stop in Bimini. Beers are average bar prices. Cuban cigars are $10-$20 each (tourist prices I guess). Bimini bread is great. $5/loaf. Well worth it. Made "home made" by an island woman.

Only other things to buy are Rum and t-shirts and the choices of them aren't that great. Most "real" stores there will take plastic (credit cards) but might charge a slight fee. The t-shirt and bread vendors are cash.

You can rent a golf cart of moped like toy while there, but you don't need it. The island is too small to need it.

Hope all that helps. have fun!

-mike

Back
Top Bottom