blackbeard what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I've been on 6 blackbeards trips in the last 10 years, just a great way to get some wonderful dives logged while having a blast. I echo all the advice you have received , I'll throw in some extra random thoughts....
Luggage on planes and at boat:
I bring a hard side samsonite suitcase for dive gear with a large cheap soft dive bag rolled up inside. This way when I get to the sailboat I can quickly transfer all me gear to the softside bag to bring onboard. IT IS REAL PAIN TO BRING THE HARDSIDE SUITCASE ON THE BOAT TO EVEN UNLOAD IT WHILE 20 OTHER DIVERS ARE DOING THE SAME! Blackbeards has a locked trailer that you can leave the hardside in (I then put the soft bag under my mattress.) As far as airine travel, do not lock your luggage unless you have an approved TSA lock. Airlines are weighing luggage these days so try to keep each bag the weight limit. (I carry photo gear/regs and anything heavy with me on board in carry ons.)
Here are a few unusual things that over the years I have learned are helpful to bring:
I like to buy a 20 oz wide mouth bottle of water (ice tea, etc.) for the plane ride AND THEN BRING THE BOTTLE ON THE SAILBOAT. You need two hands to go up and down the boats stairway and the water bottle will fit in your pocket while using the stairs. The wide mouth will make it easy to fill from the cooler of water on the deck (you will learn on your first day that you need to drink as much water as possible day and night)
I like to bring about 8-10 feet of twine to hook up an extra little clothes line in my bunk, it is amazing how many things I end up hanging in the bunk area. Speaking of bunks, I have always had clean sheet and bedding upon arrival BUT the pillows can sometimes smell/feel slightly dampish. I bring a zippered pillowcase to trow over the pillow. There is soap in the three bathrooms but it can be "fun" in any rough waters to hold on with one hand while you are trying to wash up with the other, AND YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE FAUCET ON TO GET ANY WATER. So unless you have three hands you may find it helpful to bring some of the new "no water needed" soap or like I learned after my baby was born, bring a package of those babywipes with you.
One last thought, as mentioned by others the overnight crossing CAN BE VERY ROUGH. The best extra advise I have is to skip the greasy foods and keg beer that they have on the dock before departure, eat light, take your sea sickness meds AND 1-2 SLEEPING PILLS. You will be aleep befpre you get into the rough waters and will wake up in Bimini!
Hope this helps, have fun! Steve from Maine

Just got back from BB myself, what an amazing time!

Clips, definately heavy duty clips, and don't forget to scrawl your name all over them! They are a hot commodity and you never know when someone takes yours when you get up from a dive!

About stuffing yourself full of meds before the crossing..... think first. I LOVE the crossing to Bimini and wouldn't think of sleeping through it. It's great to ride the waves and the motion, watch Miami stay behind, look at the large cruise ships sail away (and think how much those large ships bite), watch the stars come in, look for the lights of Bimini, and be mentaly relaxed.

Of course, if the waters are rough then drug up and sleep!

My thoughts exactly, Willar. The crossing is just an amazing ride, especially for a first-timer. During the crossover I stayed on the deck till maybe 1 am or so. Real high seas adventure, you know? Scared the crap out of me, but in a good way. But I'd been awake since maybe 3:30 the previous morning and had already been through an abortive, severely seasick trip on another dive boat that day, so no way could I stay awake all night, much less get in any diving the next morning. I kinda wish I'd had the stamina to stick through it, though.

Trying to get a couple of hours of shuteye below was an exercise in futility, of course. All the creaking of the hull and the sloshing of cold ocean water just inches from my ears...and one of my cabinmates spent all night in the head chucking his dinner up, poor fella.

In summary: of sleep, and lots of Dramamine. And lots pf those fabled clips.

cheers

Billy S.

You can get decent clips at hom depot for about a dollar each recomend about a dozen as its nice to share with the people who don't know. The seat cushion and wide bottom coffee mug. Make a light weight lanyard with a small dog clip at the end to attach to you personel coffee mug and everyone wil think your are a Blackbeards veteran.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom