Blackbeard Scuba - Southport, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackbeard Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well divers, we are gearing up for another great year here at Blackbeard Scuba in Southport. We have recently invested in a "new to us" dive boat should have the finishing touches on it this week and be ready to start charters this coming weekend. We are a smaller shop and offer more personalized service than some and hope when you dive with us you feel less like just another diver and more like a friend. We have several sites currently listed on our site with more sites being added all the time. We would love to hear from divers in the area and those that visit where you want to go and when. Only takes 1 diver to get a charter on the schedule and as long as we can get at least 4 total divers we should be able to make it work. We also offer classes from beginner scuba all the way up to instructor with specialty classes as well. We keep our classes similar to our charters and try to work in smaller groups so you feel that personalized teaching experience rather than just a person behind a mask.

New this year -
We have set up a dive club with multiple packages to offers. If your local or frequent often its a great way to socialize with other divers and get discounts in the shop and for charters. Below are the three levels we currently offer and what is included in each -
  • Silver $50 - Monthly dive social, 10% discount in the shop on retail goods, 10% off all classes above OW
  • Gold $300 - All the benefits of silver plus 2 offshore charters
  • Platinum $580 - All the benefits of Silver and Gold but with 4 total offshore charters and monthly membership dives

We are growing our club all the time and would love to have any of you guys join.

Check out our website for all the charters and classes or give us a call with any questions.

Blackbeard Scuba -
Blackbeard Scuba | Southport NC | Scuba Diving
5001 O'Quinn Blvd. Unit G
Southport, NC 28461
blackbeardscuba@gmail.com
Tel: (910) 465-1902
Hours of Operation: Tuesday-Sunday 9am-6pm
blackbeard logo.jpg
-G

Nice looking website. A few observations/suggestions, some of which may be misinterpretations on my part, but may reveal misunderstandings prospective customers might get. File under unsolicited advice if you wish; just trying to help...

The strip of 'slide show style' pictures that scroll horizontally on the home page look nice! When I click arrows to move back a slide, it's awfully slow. And the pic for the Belize trip claims '2014.' I have to up to the upper right hand corner of the page & click 'More' to get a menu with Dive Trips; that might merit its own obvious button off the main page.

But if local charter trips are to be your 'bread and butter,' there's some key info. I don't easily get at your web site.

1.) How many dives/trip? Do I have to root around in your calendar to find this? Is it there?

2.) Must your whole boat be chartered, or do you do 'open seating?' Can I just phone or e-mail & book a reservation alone?

3.) What does one of your boat trips cost? (I'm not talking about the club membership levels you listed, unless that's all you do).

4.) What gear rental do you offer? Any big tanks (e.g.: 100 cf, steel 120 cf) & do you offer 30% (or other mix) nitrox?

5.) I see you're significantly south of Wilmington; do you guys dive the deep ledges as well as the wrecks? I see Megalodon Ledge listed as one you hit.

6.) Do you see your location as offering any 'competitive advantages' vs. the more northern locations (e.g.: Morehead)? This is mainly of interest to the tourist diver flying in who can stay at any of the destinations, rather than local divers in your vicinity.

Lastly, a webpage highlighting local non-diving attractions (since many dive tourists have some non-diving family along) might be useful.

Richard.

Went to your web site. Found it a bit of a nuisance to find out how far a run it was to a dive site. It took several clicks.

I did not see any information about the boat. That is crucial information for me.
--How big is the boat
--How is it laid out
--Is their shade
--What does the entry look like
--How fast is it. If something is 32 miles out of southport that could be anything from 1.5 to 3 hours depending on the boat.
--safety equipment
--downline system used if any

There needs to be a picture of the boat and the above information.

Noted both of your concerns and working on updating the site and getting the boat information on there for you. Should have all those questions answered for you by the middle of next week with the site update to include the boat.

Thanks for the feedback.

Boat (1).jpgBoat (2).jpgBoat (3).jpgBoat (4).jpgBoat (1).jpg
38ft length
11.5 ft beam
Tuna door with swim platform entry
Plenty of shade if you need it and once we get a part, a functional head as well.
6 pack license

I get more details from the captain soon.

I've actually been out and looked at the new boat and its not your typical dive boat. More of a charter fishing vessel redone to make into a dive boat. Actually they are setting it up rather nicely and will make for a pretty cool dive boat when its all done. I've never been on a dive boat with a head or galley but this ones got it. The tuna door is pretty cool as well, the swim platform goes the entire width of the stern and not a small cramped space like some I've seen. I think it being a 6pack boat will make it more enjoyable as well, I hate being on a dive boat with 20+ people and feeling like a herd of cattle. BBS has always been personal with their service when I've needed anything. I'm hoping to go out on a charter in the next couple weeks with them and will report back.

Full disclosure - I am in the process of taking a DM course with BBS and hope to help on the charter boat in the future but that won't be this year.

Last edited:
IMG_20150608_153522.jpg
Got a new supply of Salvimar Gear. Guns, knifes, lights, and all the other goodies. Stop by the shop and check it all out.

Back
Top Bottom