Black Silicone Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5 once bubbled...
Is there an advantage to a black silicone mask; or does it even make a difference? Maybe it's just me but it seems like I've seen alot more "tech divers" use a black silicone mask. I'm just curious to find out.
Some say that it cuts down on distractions to the side...
Some say that it looks cool...
Some say that it looks cool...
Some say that is cuts down on distractions to the side...

Both Shane and I have them... but I have been thinking lately that a clear skirt might be a good idea... easier to signal your buddy with a light from slightly behind in and emergency.

Masks with clear sidewalls or side windows are often preferred by new divers since the extra light or vision on the sides makes them less claustrophbic. But the side light also reflects back on the from lens, somewhat obscuring forward vision. The effect is most noticable on the surface where there is a lot of light from behind but is present much of the time, so that many divers are not even aware it doesn't have to be that way.

To see this yourself, try occasionally putting your hands on both side of the mask to cover the sides or side windows and the top of the skirt, and notice how your vision suddenly improves straight ahead with the reflected light gone.

Funny thing is that while most people who try this say "wow" and instantly see what I am talking about, others just don't ssee any difference. May have something to do with eyesight, nearsighted/farsightedness, etc too.

Oh and I find the difference considerable and my makes are all black.

Also depends on where you dive. In the UK everyone normally wears clear as we need all the light and vision we can get:(

Only sad tech wanabees wear all black here:)

I swapped from black to clear after about 1000 dives and I aint going back. Bright sunlight, whats that????

But it really is personal preference (until Halcyon/GI3 decide which one they will sell and then it will become DIR) :D

Photographers usually prefer black. I started with clear but switched to black and find it easier to see. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference. My wife uses a clear silicone mask (with a pink frame).

Madmole... don't ever try playing the hypocrite and whining about all the threads that degenerate into a DIR argument. :wink:

Back to the mask skirt discussion:
DNAXdiver~
As for holding your hands up to block ambient light from entering the mask skirt and reflecting off of the lens... that only works if there is ambient light... or at least enough to make a difference.

Diving in the PNW it is dark enough at noon not to be an issue on most dives.... and in areas where the ambient light is bright and the viz is good... it isn't an issue either as forward vision is so good to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom