Black Silicone Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats why I put the Smileys :)

I dive a DIR rig on OC and think most of what they say is a pretty good idea

Except of course I now normally dive a yellow box of death so I'm definately one of GI's friends:D

Must admit when I dive my full face masks (AGA and Scubapro) I notice the intrusion of the opaque sides. Wished they did clear silicon versions

I'm currently diving a black skirt, but similar to UP, I'm thinking of moving to a clear skirt for night and cave diving so I can pick up on signals behind me a bit better.

But I'll still keep the black skirt for open water daylight diving (with decent viz).

Roak

madmole once bubbled...
But it really is personal preference (until Halcyon/GI3 decide which one they will sell and then it will become DIR) :D

According to this thread GI3 has changed his mind and made a new proclamation! Clear is in! :wink:

Listen carefully. Hear that rushing noise? That's the sound of folks running out and replacing their black skirts with clear skirts!
:D

Marc :jester:

So I guess the Picasso Compensator is no longer DIR?
(Yes, it is for sale through one of the "favorite" sources on the board.)

Any tangible evidence that clear or black silicone has a greater life? (I haven't found any)

Edit -- shoot, photo disappeared -- try diveinn for details. Looks totally rad and retro :eek:

I had a clear, lost it in a quarry, got a black...I like my black much better, but that is only because it is lower volume and more streamlined than my clear was. If I lose this one, I will reevaluate, but I really don't think it matters.

Well yes of course that's the point of the whole demonstration isn't it? To see how much difference it makes to the individual, in the conditions he she usually diver. Though caving I like the extra protection for when some madmad sweeps me from behind with a 250W cannister lite.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
DNAXdiver~
As for holding your hands up to block ambient light from entering the mask skirt and reflecting off of the lens... that only works if there is ambient light... or at least enough to make a difference.

As has already been mentioned, I find the light allowed in on the sides of a clear masks to be very distracting. I've tried clear ones several times through the years and always go back to the black.

For me it's personal preferrence. I don't care what someone elses opinion of my mask is! :wink:

I know that some of the people that are fishing with spearguns say that it is easier for them to concentrate on their target.

As for me, I use a clear one. Makes me feel more in the open.

Ari :)

i read in magazines (wasn't aware of scubaboard, etc back then) that black is better for photography so i figured, what the hey. then i found out how much u/w set-ups cost ;-0

the wife uses clear - she said she likes more light better.

Back
Top Bottom