Bitten by Parrot Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad that your daughter's ok. I agree with everybody else...go back with a spear gun and show 'em who the boss is.

It was 10 or 15 years ago, I was snorkeling in in the Gulf and a big remora took up with me. It attached it's self right in the center of my chest. I thought it was pretty cool. After it had been with me for about 20 minutes I guess it thought my left nipple was a barnacle because it bit the living daylights out of me. I'm a big tough guy but man let me tell you... I screamed like a 9 year old french girl!!!

The worst thing about it was it took an act of God to finally get away from the damm thing. I was bleeding, I was mad, I was in pain, and I just knew that if he bit me again in the same place I'd have to do the screaming like a little french girl thing again!

I have been bitten quite a few times during a fish feed dive that we did and not by the big green's that were the attraction but by coney's and graysby's. Never heard of a Parrotfish attacking.
We would use those triggers to help us find a shot fish(they would scool around where the wounded fish was hidding) if we lost it when shooting in the Bahamas.

And I know all about the attacking Bluegill of Missouri!!!!

Might have your daughter checked for rabies...

(just kiddin')

Isn't it true that although Hawaiin parrot fish are edible, but caribbean/florida ones aren't??

Bluegills and sunfish in our ponds get ferocious in hot summer days. At first, I didn't believe my son when he said something is biting him, and panicking. But when I lifted him into the boat, the darn bluegill bit my finger too!

Didn't know parrotfish bite anything except for corals... But I remember when we were down in the keys, the parrotfish were also chasing after french fries and other junk the folks at the restaurant were throwing in the water...

we eat parrotfish in Cuba (we call them viejoloros or "old parrots")

not a preferred food fish, but it is eaten

grumpymedic:
I hear they taste like chicken:rofl3:J/K I hope your daughter is ok.
Parrotfish are some of the most savoury fish ever to grace the oceans :).
Ask me how I know...... :14::14:

Do hope that the OP's daughter is ok though,

EDIT - Andy, parrotfish are also eaten here, that and lots of snapper..

bvmjethead:
If that was my daughter I'd be finding out what Parrott fish tastes like....

:popcorn:
Ditto!
Rick

what was the guy gonna do, stab it with his dive knife?

it just would have pissed off the thing more

personally, when faced with hostile fish, i try to look like an unapetizing tennis shoe and hope they go away

Is this a ‘treatment’ for a hopefully soon to be in production made for TV movie?
Yea gads! Your poor daughter, but I have to laugh…got my attention…so blasé...she sounds like a keeper!
I saw one looking ugly at me the other day, maybe there is some unrest and a revolt brewing.

lucky it aint a triggerfish esp a titan triggers. Go do a search on triggerfish and hear the legends that are moving around about them.
Hope your daughter is recovering ok.

I hate triggerfishes. Had a few run in with them,gave me a shock and rattled me bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom