Bitten by Parrot Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, very unusual... never heard of anything like that from parrotfish

sounds like there was something about the two of you he didn't like

I was nipped by one once.. on the thumb caught nail and flesh.. broke skin but no big deal..

I was however feeding bannannanannas (when do you stop spelling that word) to the other fish at the time.

I'd go with what he said and teach her how to spearfish. I think I'd go back and find that fish! kk

The parrot fish may have exhibited the same territorial behavior as trigger fish. During mating season, these normally docile fish can get pretty nasty. Their territorial boundaries extend connically from the nest. You probably parked right above it's nest.

Seeing what those parrot fish can do to a coral, I'm glad that your daughter is none the worse for wear.

As everyone has said, very unusual. I've had Trigger fish follow me the entire dive before which makes me nervous. But I have never had a Parrotfish do anything but ignore me. I've heard Parrotfish are tasty, never tried it though. If I had a spear gun and one bit me, I would be having Parrotfish for dinner.

H2Andy:
yeah, very unusual... never heard of anything like that from parrotfish

sounds like there was something about the two of you he didn't like
You are assuming that it was a male parrotfish. Maybe it was just the wrong....

Time for lunch.

tedtim:
You are assuming that it was a male parrotfish. Maybe it was just the wrong....

:popcorn:

:wink:

Yes, parrot fish with a nest will do that. I have heard of this...they have big jaws too. Ever hear them munching on the reef?

and hardly anyone belived me about the killer bluegill of Mermet Springs... LOL

I feel your daughter's pain! My wife and I were doing our (optional) OW Nitrox dives after having completed the class (we happened to be in the first class after PADI changed the rules, and our dive shop let us do the 2 dives anyway).

We're having a nice time checking out the "scubabus" (a school bus) in about 25 or 30 FFW when I feel this really bad pain on the outside of my ear. Tried to shake it off but then I felt another "bump" in my side thru my shorty. So we ascended to the top of the bus and that's when my wife was able to snap a pic of this little bluegill attacking my ears! No amount of "shoo"ing" made this monster (4-6") give up. After about 5 min and getting maybe 150' from the bus back to the dock this thing still didn't give up, followed us all the way out of the water.

Back on the surface my ear was bleeding pretty good (my wife said it was a tiny little nibble, but I tell you it was big!).

We all had a big laugh about it (well ok, eveyone laughing AT me), I just shook it off as the revenge of the fish for me having caught and eaten so many of his cousins.

Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/scott.iver/SCUBA

Hey guys couldn't help be put in my 2 cents... My husband and I did Martha's quarry one year just after my certification. We were having a great time untill he decided to feed the fish............(anyone smell a big laugh comeing?) He opens up his little baggy and from nowhere hundred of little fish who by pass his treat to nibble on me!

I have a scar on my left ear and two brother inlaws who affectionatly call me "fishbait"!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom